WIFI Independence of the Seas

yawalias

We are booked on the March 1st sailing on the Independence of the Seas. My sons fiance is taking online classes and that is the week of her final exams. She is concerned that she will not be able to connect which means she would fail the class and have to retake it (at $3000.00). Can anyone share their experience with connectivity so that i can convince her to go?

We are booked on the March 1st sailing on the Independence of the Seas. My sons fiance is taking online classes and that is the week of her final exams. She is concerned that she will not be able to connect which means she would fail the class and have to retake it (at $3000.00). Can anyone share their experience with connectivity so that i can convince her to go?

I know WiFi is offered, but have no direct experience regarding speeds, etc. I wouldn't think taking an online exam would require very much in the way of speed though.

Its been a long time since I've been in college, but I can't imagine going on a cruise during finals week and managing to have any real fun! Wow...

If she has to take a final exam I personally would not recommend going. The ships Internet connections while vastly improved over he past few years can still be unreliable. How would you feel if something happened to the Internet connection at sea and she failed her exam because of it?

We were just on IOS for a month. Wifi was OK, even in the cabin but sometimes we could not connect. So, for an exam it may not be the wisest place to use it.

What about when in port at a restaurant etc. getting wifi there, along with a meal or beverage? That would be more stable I think and not kick out on you part way.....

The only way that she can be sure of a good, uninterrupted internet connection during your week is to find an internet café in St.Maarten or San Juan. Other than that, she is going to risk serious disruption of internet usage.

Edited by Merion_Mom

Unfortunately there is NO reliable internet connection when on the ship. There are periods of good connections but not to the extent you can rely upon it for something critical. Even when you are in port. As Merion Mom suggests the only reliable option would be to do the online exam while at an Internet cafe while ashore...also lots cheaper.

She should consult with her Professor about possibly taking the final exam early. You said "class" (singular) so I doubt it would really be any problem at all just to study a bit earlier. I know lots of universities and Professors would understand the dilemma and allow her to take them early. Don't be afraid to ask the Professor, sometimes they really aren't all that bad of people!

Good Luck!