Help please Santos, Buzios, Salvador de Bahia & Fortaleza

earn

Hi folks looking for some advice please.

We (myself, DH & 2 DS) are flying to São Paulo, but booked in to a hotel in Santos for two nights pre cruise. I believe there is a good coach service to Santos from the international airport. Do we need to book tickets for that, or can we just do that when we arrive?

We are visiting Buzios and Salvador for whole days and Fortaleza from 8am until 2pm. Any ideas for what we should do would be much appreciated. The boys are 15 k 13. Thank you.

Hi folks looking for some advice please.

We are visiting Buzios and Salvador for whole days and Fortaleza from 8am until 2pm. Any ideas for what we should do would be much appreciated. The boys are 15 k 13. Thank you.

Buzios is mostly a beach destination, with some shops and restaurants, for strolling and sunning/swimming.

Fortaleza is probably best known among tourists as a jumping off point for the isolated beach village of Jericoacoara (about 6 hours) . Otherwise it has its own beaches.

Salvador offers quite a bit of sightseeing and shopping, in addition to beaches. You can walk from the cruise port to the colorful shops in the historic Mercado Modelo, take the Elevador Lacerda up the cliff to the historic district in Pelourinho, and spend quite a while exploring the architecture, museums, churches, cobblestone lanes and plazas, people watching and shopping and eating/drinking. There are many venues to see the music that Salvador is famous for, but mostly at night.

If you have additional time, there is a HOHO bus that does a route around the city, stopping at some of the additional sights and giving an idea of the wider city.

Salvador also is a great base for some interesting and beautiful day and overnight trips to islands and beaches and historic Colonial towns, but the ships usually don't linger long enough.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Are the beaches walking distance from the ship. or would we need a taxi?

Any idea about the bus to Santos?

Many thanks

Thank you.

I am also taking a cruise that will stop in Salvador and the information that you offered was very helpful.

I was wondering, if you would be so kind, and give me information about Santos. We are having a port day there and I would like to know what I should do for the day.

Thank you in advance.

Gail

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Are the beaches walking distance from the ship. or would we need a taxi?

Any idea about the bus to Santos?

Many thanks

My family and I are flying into Sao Paulo next week and sailing out of Santos. We plan to take the Cometa bus from GRU to Santos. We have not made any advance reservations for the bus. I will let you know when we return how that works out!

I am also interested to know if the beaches in Buzios are walking distance from the ship!

Thank you.

I am also taking a cruise that will stop in Salvador and the information that you offered was very helpful.

I was wondering, if you would be so kind, and give me information about Santos. We are having a port day there and I would like to know what I should do for the day.

Thank you in advance.

Gail

You could go to one of the nearby beaches, or risk the traffic/timing to take a superficial tour of São Paulo.

Fortaleza is probably best known among tourists as a jumping off point for the isolated beach village of Jericoacoara (about 6 hours) . Otherwise it has its own beaches.

It would help if you gave an idea of your interests, and what shore excursions the cruise line offers. In Fortaleza you certainly won't have time to go to outlying beaches. The beach in front of the hotels are so-so, not the cleanest, but fine for lying on the beach or sitting at a "barraca" and having something to eat or drink. Do NOT walk there from the port. Take a taxi. Somewhat further away but still within Fortaleza is Praia do Futuro, with somewhat cleaner water and bigger waves, and lots of barracas/restaurants with chairs and umbrellas to rent. You can get lessons to surf or kite surf.

Most people will likely take the regular tour to the large, multi-story Mercado Central, to buy a wide range of souvenirs, from ordinary t-shirts to lace to some jewelry (lots and lots of stalls selling basically the same stuff; you can bargain). Not someplace for the highest quality good, but a decent place for inexpensive souvenirs to take home to friends though, of course, the country is spelled "Brasil," not "Brazil," on virtually everything. I think all cruise ships have shuttles going there. A few blocks away, and smaller, quieter and with higher-end products, especially lace (both hand and machine made), but likely requiring a taxi is the Museu de Arte e Cultura Popular/Centro de Turismo, on the site of a historic prison. http://www.fortalezaemfotos.com.br/2010/08/centro-de-turismo-do-ceara-emcetur.html

There are also the usual shopping malls. Closest to the port are Shopping Aldeota and Shopping Patio Dom Luis.

The above places are in the Centro part of town. Be very cautious walking on the streets there (which you may not do if going just to these shopping sites). And, as noted, do not walk from the cruise port into town. Use a taxi or one of the cruise ship's shuttles. Taxis are metered. Not easy to hail one on the street, but easily found at many hotels, shopping centers, restaurants, etc.

There is a very large water slide park outside of Fortaleza, but I don't think you have time. It's also expensive.

Edited by Fattony

Thank you so much. You are correct I should have described our preferences. well with three men in the party shopping is not on the agenda, but sitting on a beach is. Thank you very much also for the advice about not walking about. We travel a lot and to be honest always assume the best, so may have been likely to walk out of the port rather than take a taxi. Thank you for that advice.

Is it safe enough to walk in Santos, Buzios and Salvador? We may take a ship's excursion, but to be honest they are always too busy and organised for us, so we tend to do our own thing. I noticed the water park was close, but as you say we will not have time as the ship leave for Tenerife at 2pm! Wouldn't like to miss that :) Thanks again.

Salvador - from ship to elevator is a short safe walk, the old town at the top is interesting & safe but be very wary of wandering away from there.

Forteleze to (indoor) Mercado Centrale, & nearby cathedral if that's your scene, then taxi to beach - though timescale may mean missing one or the other. Perhaps choose according to what you're doing in other ports.

Mebbe we were lucky, but the beach vendors weren't intrusive or pushy yet available when wanted, for drinks & snacks.:)

Neither port will be the highlight of your cruise and you do need to be sensible (but not paranoid ;)) about security in both, but Salvador is interesting & Forteleze an OK beach day.

JB :)

JB, thanks for the input. Looks like we are sorted for a short DIY tour in Salvador and taxi to the beach in Fortaleza. to be honest we quite like the ship on port days at least for part of the time as it is quiet!

Thanks, it would be great if you could let us know about the bus.

We took the Cometa Bus today from GRU to Santos. We did not have advance reservations. The tickets are sold at the Cometa ticket counter outside of Terminal 1. We walked up at 10:40 a.m. and were able to get seats for 11:10 a.m. The bus itself was quite nice - up-to-date, comfortable, and air-conditioned. There was also a bathroom onboard. We paid 22 reais per person, which works out to less than $10 US each for the two hour trip. In my opinion, this form of transportation is definitely the most economical way to get from GRU to Santos!

I am taking the Splednour Of The Seas(Royal Caribbean) from Santos-Barcelona in April. I worked hard since last August to plan the trip. What I have planned to do is arrive in Sao Paulo and spend 4.5 days there and the day before the cruise take the bus to Santos and stay at the Mercure Santos which is about 4 miles from the pier.

Our cruise stops in Rio, Salvador before heading to Teneriefe and Malaga.

In Salvador I booked the Best of Salvador Tour with Lunch which is offered via Royal Caribbean for $54 dollars for Adults(children get discounts too) and its a 7 hour tour. In Salvador I would walk around the Historic area, Mercado, or take a tour. I highly suggest taking a tour of Santos if you have limited time.

In Rio I plan to go to the Sugarloaf Mountain, Impanema, Copacabana and the historic area around there.

I was able to find a one way flight from San Francisco to Sao Paulo for $474 and used my miles for a United flight back. My Father is flying back home a week later and I booked him on a different flight.

We got the cruise for $1,000 for 2(14 nights). So with the good deal on the flights etc. it worked out well.

Good luck and I'm sure others will post here as well.

Thank you for your advice. We usually sail RCI, and have done three transatlantic crossings with them, but they were all too late for our kid's school holidays this year, so MSC has our custom. Wish we were going to Rio, but sadly not, and the ship are not doing trips there from Buzios.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

God idea. Where is it? Thanks for all your tips. I think we will just wander is Salvador and Buzios, and give Fortaleza a miss. WE have two days in Santos, so will hit the beach there if the weather allows. Looks like we are in for some thunder and sun!!!! Hoping it is mostly sun with thunder showers.

Do some research on Salvador. We spent two days in Salvador in December. It was a festival day with music everywhere. You can walk to upper town on your own but make sure you use the elevator as it is safer. We had an excellent guide arranged by travelingwithleo. Our guide's name was Priscilla. We went to a local artist's studio which was fantastic and other sites that the ship tours did not see. One highlight was the African market which certainly gave us an understanding of the people of Salvador.

For Buzios you can just walk the streets and no need for a tour. Yes, go see Brigette Bardot! Make certain you have Brazilian currency and not all ATMs are created equal. Your bank has to have an agreement with the Brazilian bank and the ATM needs to be an international one. They are not always marked so you know.

Enjoy your time in Brazil. We enjoyed our time there.

Pearl

Do some research on Salvador. ......You can walk to upper town on your own but make sure you use the elevator as it is safer.

One highlight was the African market which certainly gave us an understanding of the people of Salvador.

Let me be very clear for anyone unfamiliar with Salvador. It is extremely dangerous to "walk to upper town on your own"!!!!! You can walk from the cruise dock to the Elevador Lacerda and take that up for just a few pennies, but NEVER, ever walk up any of the steep streets (ladeiras) that go up the hill through a very dodgy neighborhood.

There are farmers' markets such as the huge, varied Sao Joaquim near the cruise port; the Mercado Modelo souvenir shops which sell mostly-machine-made lace, Indonesian-made beach sarongs, souvenir T-shirts, and such; shops such as Didara in Pelourinho with the unique African based printed clothing designs of Goya Lopes; small shops near the church of Bonfim selling Catholic and candomble religious articles, but there is no market in Salvador afaik which is referred to as "the African market". Where were you actually taken to get such "an understanding of the people of Salvador" ?

The market we went to gave us a view of some of the religious practices of some of the natives in Salvador. Animals were sold for sacrifice as were flowers for religious purposes. Our group of 10 bought nothing there-- it wasn't that kind of market. We saw all sorts of vegetables, meats, fruits. We were told this market was where the locals went. We did a walk through this market for about 45 minutes. This market was outside the central area. We were there in early December of last year on a state holiday so there was lots of activity. Walking through the market helped us see religious practices of some living in the Salvador area.

My main point was that there is lots to see in Salvador and to do some research for options. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Salvador. It would be a shame to remain on the ship. The only negative was the intense heat.

The market we went to gave us a view of some of the religious practices of some of the natives in Salvador. Animals were sold for sacrifice as were flowers for religious purposes. Our group of 10 bought nothing there-- it wasn't that kind of market. We saw all sorts of vegetables, meats, fruits. We were told this market was where the locals went. We did a walk through this market for about 45 minutes. This market was outside the central area. We were there in early December of last year on a state holiday so there was lots of activity. Walking through the market helped us see religious practices of some living in the Salvador area.

My main point was that there is lots to see in Salvador and to do some research for options. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Salvador. It would be a shame to remain on the ship. The only negative was the intense heat.

Seems like you may have been taken to the Feira of São Joaquim, one of the two biggest farmers markets in Salvador along with the one at Sete Portas, and not dissimilar to Boston's Friday/Saturday Haymarket, only with friendlier vendors. Sounds like your tour guide was "talking it up for the tourists" with emphasis on the "exotic" factor. I usually go there about once a month to stock the freezer with meat because of the lower prices, get veggies fresher than the supermarket near us carries, and buy flowers for the table. Locals do shop there because of the prices (inflation in Brazil on everyday items can still be a problem), but also shop at the Bom Preco supermarket, and for imported stuff (read: peanut butter), at Perini. Herbal medicine is still popular in Salvador (and effective), so plant matter is found for sale in shops and feiras for those who don't collect their own. Many locals say they do not practice candomble (religion) because "it takes too much time". Anyway, it would be the Mae do Santo or Pai do Santo, the leader of the candomble terreiro, performing sacrifices on occasion, not hardly sufficient to sustain a market of that size.

Unfortunately, a short stopover in Salvador typical of a cruise only gives time for the most superficial look at a very rich culture, and yes, it's good to do some research/reading beforehand to be better prepared. Exploring Pelourinho can take up much of a day, and the HOHO bus can give a look at more of the city if there is time. Glad you seem to have enjoyed your brief visit.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

I've just found this thread and am really grateful for all the info as we are just about to book an RCL transatlantic Santos to Barcelona for 2015. It's the same cruise that Travelplus is doing this year, there doesn't seem to be much about these cruises on the boards so I would love to hear how it went when you return.

Hi Sandra (earn), what a coincidence that you are doing this itinerary, again I'd love to hear about it when you return.

Julie

I've just found this thread and am really grateful for all the info as we are just about to book an RCL transatlantic Santos to Barcelona for 2015. It's the same cruise that Travelplus is doing this year, there doesn't seem to be much about these cruises on the boards so I would love to hear how it went when you return.

Hi kernow I would be happy to post my post-cruise thoughts after the cruise. I was interested to take this cruise despite there not being enough information here on Cruise Critic. I thought this would be a unique cruise that not many people in my hometown have taken or would even think of taking.

I love unique culturally enriching experiences that not many people or tour guidebook writers would even think of experiencing.

You can go from Spring to Fall be thousands of miles away from home and enjoy the history and food of new countries.

I look forward to staying in Sao Paulo, Santos and Barcelona.

I would highly suggest you look at booking the Mercure Central Towers in Sao Paulo located by Paulista Ave and then take the bus from Sao Paulo to Santos the day before your cruise and stay at the Mercure Santos which is 4 miles from the port.

Let me know if you have any questions.