Sapphire Seems Half Empty

mikaula

If been watching the Sapphire Princess out of Sa Pedro & hoping the price might come down. It seems like all the sailing have tons of room available in most categories. I'm guessing that's why Pricess is pulling the ship out of the port. I really want to have more choices from LA than Carnival! Hoping the prices come down & people start booking!!

I'm looking at the 3 & 4 day getaways. I have been on 20+ cruises on various lines including Princess. I didn't know Asia has been the plan for awhile & I'm glad to hear they are sending the Crown to LA. I know Royal used to have a ship in LA too but no longer do. I don't really care for Carnival but love to getaway every so often without having to fly to Florida.

Maybe so but it isn't a getaway cruise, so your answer doesn't apply...

Sorry, I missed the "getaway" part. I guess that's the reason for those "get full cruise fair back as OBC" promotion Princess was running a while back.

Now with CCL Imagination adding to the mix, things will get even tougher for those 3/4 days trips.

Princess has had problems selling the short 3-4 day cruises. They do eventually fill the ship but it's been a marketing challenge. They couldn't give away the January cruises. Literally. You can pretty much expect sales on these cruises. :(

FYI, can't wait to get back on the Royal. Loved it.

Edited by Pam in CA

If only..... I will miss the Sapphire.:(

We got off the Sapphire yesterday. We enjoyed it, but we also like to experience different ships. Hate the ships Carnival has in port so they are off my list until they bring other ships in with balconies. But even then, I don't like their smoking policy for balconies.

I don't quite get why Princess is not doing a 3/4, with the weekend being a 3 and the week being a 4, as Carnival does, and Royal Caribbean used to do, before moving the Monarch to the East Coast.

I was told that the 3 night weekend booze cruise to Ensenada, was one of the best money makers going. So, why does not Princess follow. Their 3/4 night schedule just reaks of disaster!

We just got off of a 7 night Mexican Riviera on the Sapphire, and 3 nights ago, most of the full suites were still available. Once again, Princess is not selling their best suites, but giving them away.

Pretty sad, when for a few hundred dollars less, they could sell them out on every cruise.

Also, since we have just come back from a full suite.......a PH suite, C418, there is less room in a full suite on Princess then in a GS on Royal Caribbean.

We have a few more cruises booked on Princess, but, weighing both lines, we are headed back to RCI, and will do some West Coast cruises on Celebrity.

Rick

The 3/4 day cruises with the 3 day making it a long weekend always seemed logical to me as well. Then they should have bundled pricing of a 3 and a 4 for those of us who can't be bothered to get on a ship for less than a week.

Celebrity has been offering some last minute (in the last month before cruise) paid upgrades when they have higher grade cabins going unsold. Instead of giving them away as free upgrades they offer them up at very attractive upgrade fees. This seems like a very logical thing to do for a business that can very easily lose money on a cruise if they don't do everything possible to make a few extra dollars. The hit and miss of getting free upgrades is okay but I am willing to pay a bit more to snag a real nice upgrade at the last minute and then they might be able to upgrade someone else into the room I left.

As for moving to celebrity for west coast cruises....better check the celebrity line up. Alaska yes but outside of that they are weighing anchor and moving out. West coast wine cruises are gone.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

If been watching the Sapphire Princess out of Sa Pedro & hoping the price might come down. It seems like all the sailing have tons of room available in most categories. I'm guessing that's why Pricess is pulling the ship out of the port. I really want to have more choices from LA than Carnival! Hoping the prices come down & people start booking!!

Too late now she is going to Asia.

We have taken advantage of all the PCL promos, and have the Crown booked for Sept.

For medical reasons, we can't fly, so everything we cruise is west coast.

We have done all the CCL cruises we care to. When RCI had Radiance here, we sailed on her twice. Loved that ship.

A few years ago, several lines had 5 day cruises to Cabo, which we loved. DH likes to play golf there.

I see the writing on the wall as far as PCL's getaway cruises, but I'm very sad about it.

We just can't take the long cruises right now. We can't be gone that long.

Wishing.....:)

Pat

Maybe so but it isn't a getaway cruise, so your answer doesn't apply...

As for fares being reduced, they probably will if the ship doesn't fill up but it won't be by much as the fares are already pretty low.

The get away fares are low; the 7 day Mexico cruise is still pretty high (over $700 for 7 days lowest inside for Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Ensenada). They must be getting it, or willing to sail with a partially full ship.

Princess has had problems selling the short 3-4 day cruises. They do eventually fill the ship but it's been a marketing challenge. They couldn't give away the January cruises. Literally. You can pretty much expect sales on these cruises. :(

FYI, can't wait to get back on the Royal. Loved it.

I really hope so, Pam! We have three of the getaway cruises booked for sept/oct. for the two four day cruises, balcony is 799 a person. For the three day, it's 499 a person. Outrageous cost! I am banking that these will go on drastic sale before final payment is due. If they don't, all three get cancelled. I think the original pricing on these fall ones are way off base. Maybe that is why they end up giving away the cruises in the end.

I got real lucky by accident on the Sapphire because I had booked the 4 day cruise for Halloween and I received a future cruise credit for the cruise. It was called the Voyager Goodwill cruise credit.

I decided to cruise on the 3 day cruise to try it out on the Sapphire. I also received future cruise credit.

I applied the FCC's to Sapphire cruise for Dec. 15th and Feb. 1st.

Then.... I had already booked Sapphire for Jan. 29th which was a 4 day

cruise. Again I received FCC. I chose to apply it to my future cruise

on the Sapphire for March 1st for the sea of Cortez.

I became an Elite member which made it a better deal for me. I have now cruised on Princess a total of 21 times. YEAH! LucyR.