River cruises for younger passengers?

sonia1309

We really like the idea of river cruising but when I read about them it sounds like they are aimed at oaps. Is this the case or can it vary depending on the company/ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are in the younger range of the average river cruiser and prefer things to be a bit more lively. We have completed 6 so far on two lines and have 2 more booked.

What works for us:

- 7 night itinerary

- lots of port time and some overnights versus lots of sailing time which for us is dead time and not our favorite part of the river cruise experience

- theme cruises which attract like minded passengers.

Our two best river cruises so far have been with AMA. We found their staff and onboard atmosphere more warm and engaging, the evening entertainment more varied and lively and the average demographic younger than our other 4 river cruises and more active. We are hoping for the same on our next two AMA cruises.

You might also look into A-Rosa as they are on our radar and gear their cruises towards a younger demographic. We have seen their boats in port and they look lovely.

Edited by caviargal

Not sure how "young" your younger passengers are. On our Christmas cruise on the Douro we had a couple of high school age youngsters and probably more than a dozen in their 20s. I think it was because it was over the holidays and they were out of school or found it easier to take time from their jobs. It has varied with each of our 5 cruises but usually it's been only a few in their 20s or 30s and it was our first with high schoolers (very nice they were). Watch itineraries closely and ask lots of questions when you think you've found one. We've noticed younger couples tend to do some evening meals on shore so they can go clubbing (at stops on the Rhrine) as well and use the boat more for transportation than socializing. We haven't seen any activities geared toward the younger crowd.

On our first AMA river cruise, I was probably one of the youngest on board at age 52.

On our second, I was definitely not even close to the youngest (and I am 54 now). There were lots of 40 somethings, a couple in their 20s and 30s. There was a mom and her two adult daughters who were late 20s. Definitely a younger demographic than the first, and definitely a more lively group. We had a very good time.

My sons are in their 20s, and I can see them liking a river cruise in Europe with the ability to go out at night.

On our second, I was definitely not even close to the youngest (and I am 54 now). There were lots of 40 somethings, a couple in their 20s and 30s. There was a mom and her two adult daughters who were late 20s. Definitely a younger demographic than the first, and definitely a more lively group. We had a very good time.

My sons are in their 20s, and I can see them liking a river cruise in Europe with the ability to go out at night.

That was our experience on both of our AMA cruises. On one we had a group from Brazil that was a lot of fun and the age range from 30-50's.

We were out dancing til the wee hours on both of our AMA cruises and had lots of company. We really had a great time!

Porthole magazine did a profile in a recent issue with Kristin Karst co owner of AMA. In it she specifically mentioned that AMA has introduced many ideas that appeal to the younger cruiser, such as active walking tours, on board bikes, better fitness facilities, open seating dining etc. She cited that since they started including these kinds of changes that their demographic has gone from average age of 70 to average age of 50. I read this well after we booked our first river cruise on AMA, but the very things she mentioned were what had attracted us to the line.

Also, while no one wants to cruise on a floating nursing home; I'd really encourage everyone to avoid being "ageist". My neighbor who was 70 something when I moved in 12 years ago is one of my heros; he has traveled to Cuba to play Senior Softball, he and his wife have been trying to get us to go to trekking Bhutan, and he is one of my go to guys when looking for an active adventure trip, because he's probably already been! Age really has nothing to do with it!:D. If we choose a line that encourages an active lifestyle, we get to cruise with interesting and active like minded individuals of every age!:D

My husband (36) and I (31) will be taking our first river cruise on Uniworld with my parents in September. I thought this was an excellent way for us to travel with them, because most ports have a "go active" tour option if we want to move at a faster pace, while my parents could choose to do a motorcoach-based tour if they like. We're not the type to go clubbing at night (when we've traveled to Europe before we've always been in bed by 9 or 10 and up early), so I think we'll be fine.