Need help w beverage plans & packages - are they worth the $$$

I think its all in how you'd approach it. Here is a sample sea day that I would think fits in the medium to light category if you think about it over a 12+ span (4 drinks and a glass of wine):

Morning

Drink 1: Water, $3.00

Pool Side

Drink 2: Premium Bloody Mary, $8.50

Drink 3: Cerveza-Rita, $8.75

Drink 4: Water, $3.00

Dinner

Drink 5: Luxury Martini, $9.50

Drink 6: Glass of Wine, $12.00

After Dinner

Drink 7: Booker's Bourbon (neat in a brandy glass), $8.75

Drink 8: Water, $3.00

TOTAL: $56.50

TOTAL WITH 15% Tip: $64.98

This sounds like a normal day for me on vacation as well, if you add in about 3-4 Diet Cokes. Mine would be:

Morning:

Bellini/Mimosa, $7.75

Diet Cokes (2), $5.00

Lunch:

Diet Coke, $2.50

Water, $3.00

Lava Flow, $7.00

Afternoon:

Beer, $4.75

Water (2), $6.00

Diet Coke, $2.50

Evening:

Wine, $10.00

Martini, $8.50

Water, $3.00

Late Evening:

Margarita, $8.25

Diet Coke, $2.50

Total: $70.75

With Gratuity: $81.36.

With 3 sea days and Labadee on our upcoming cruise, I would be at $325.45 just on those days with only $59.55 total to spend on 2 other port days to make it worthwhile. Drinking the alcoholic beverages above, I would expect not to be more than slightly buzzed.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I could drink at least 3 or 4 bottles of water per day, two or three sodas, a glass of wine with dinner, because we're on vacation maybe one with lunch, a baileys after dinner, maybe one drink by the pool, and one for the nightly show. Normally I have a nightly glass of wine but heck, we're on vacation. No one ever said this is for everyone. Just a nice perk for those who want it.

I agree with you. I've been debating the package too. I can easily have a mimosa with breakfast, a couple of beers or frozen drinks during the day, a glass of wine or 2 with dinner a couple of nightcaps after dinner.:eek: That doesn't even include water, juice, coffee, or soda.

Sounds like I just talked myself into the package.

This sounds like a normal day for me on vacation as well, if you add in about 3-4 Diet Cokes. Mine would be:

Morning:

Bellini/Mimosa, $7.75

Diet Cokes (2), $5.00

Lunch:

Diet Coke, $2.50

Water, $3.00

Lava Flow, $7.00

Afternoon:

Beer, $4.75

Water (2), $6.00

Diet Coke, $2.50

Evening:

Wine, $10.00

Martini, $8.50

Water, $3.00

Late Evening:

Margarita, $8.25

Diet Coke, $2.50

With 3 sea days and Labadee on our upcoming cruise, I would be at $325.45 just on those days with only $59.55 total to spend on 2 other port days to make it worthwhile. Drinking the alcoholic beverages above, I would expect not to be more than slightly buzzed.

That, my good sir, is a lot of Diet Coke

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I could drink at least 3 or 4 bottles of water per day, two or three sodas, a glass of wine with dinner, because we're on vacation maybe one with lunch, a baileys after dinner, maybe one drink by the pool, and one for the nightly show. Normally I have a nightly glass of wine but heck, we're on vacation. No one ever said this is for everyone. Just a nice perk for those who want it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I was offended, I wasn't. I just wanted to point out that "light" drinkers may not benefit. They might on Sea days (or full days spent on the ship), but port days make things rough (IMO).

Going on the examples posted above... I had no problem drinking the tap water. If I had the package, would I get bottled water? Maybe pool side, but not at meals. I also wouldn't do multiple drinks every meal (maybe at dinner).

IMO, anyone thinking about the package needs to think about how they'd drink. I looked at prices before our Oasis trip and tried to price everything out. I elected not to get it, and that decision paid off. I'm not faulting people for getting it, I just don't think it's good for everyone.

I DID enjoy Mango Lava Flows though. :D

Just got off of freedom of the seas. My wife had the premium drink package. I think we saved a little but the real reason was for her to not look at me every time she got a drink. She had many different wines with dinner that she normally would not have tried. She had different drinks on the ship she would not have tried. For me it is about having a great time and planning the expense. This package made the whole thing more relaxed and I knew in advance what we were spending. That is a win win.

Morning:

Bellini/Mimosa, $7.75

Diet Cokes (2), $5.00

Lunch:

Diet Coke, $2.50

Water, $3.00

Lava Flow, $7.00

Afternoon:

Beer, $4.75

Water (2), $6.00

Diet Coke, $2.50

Evening:

Wine, $10.00

Martini, $8.50

Water, $3.00

Late Evening:

Margarita, $8.25

Diet Coke, $2.50

Sounds great.What is a Lava flow?

I agree with you. I've been debating the package too. I can easily have a mimosa with breakfast, a couple of beers or frozen drinks during the day, a glass of wine or 2 with dinner a couple of nightcaps after dinner.:eek: That doesn't even include water, juice, coffee, or soda.

Sounds like I just talked myself into the package.

I agree. I always hold back some trying not to have a huge bill at the end. Knowing I am going to spend X amount ahead of time makes it more comfortable for me. We only plan on leaving the ship on the private island. I was thinking of waiting until day 2 to purchase it but when you look at it including the tip I think it is worth it. We do take a bunch of 1's and 5's for extra tips.

Joni

Edited by cage keeper

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I was offended, I wasn't. I just wanted to point out that "light" drinkers may not benefit. They might on Sea days (or full days spent on the ship), but port days make things rough (IMO).

Going on the examples posted above... I had no problem drinking the tap water. If I had the package, would I get bottled water? Maybe pool side, but not at meals. I also wouldn't do multiple drinks every meal (maybe at dinner).

IMO, anyone thinking about the package needs to think about how they'd drink. I looked at prices before our Oasis trip and tried to price everything out. I elected not to get it, and that decision paid off. I'm not faulting people for getting it, I just don't think it's good for everyone.

I DID enjoy Mango Lava Flows though. :D

Glad to hear it. We usually travel with friends that don't drink at all. She will have a glass of wine at dinner but her hubby's idea of a strong drink is icetea.

Joni

Sounds great.What is a Lava flow?

Ingredients:

1 oz. light rum

1 oz. Malibu coconut rum

2 oz. coconut cream

2 oz. pineapple juice

2 oz. fresh or frozen strawberries

1 banana

Directions:

Blend the 2 rums and the strawberries in a blender to form a smooth paste.

Pour this mixture into a tall (Collins or Hurricane) glass.

Rinse the blender. Blend the banana, the coconut cream, and the pineapple juice in blender with crushed ice until smooth.

Pour this mixture into the glass with the rums very slowly and watch as the strawberry mixture oozes its way to the top along the sides of the glass creating the flowing lava effect.

Garnish with a pineapple wedge and umbrella.

Ingredients:

1 oz. light rum

1 oz. Malibu coconut rum

2 oz. coconut cream

2 oz. pineapple juice

2 oz. fresh or frozen strawberries

1 banana

Directions:

Blend the 2 rums and the strawberries in a blender to form a smooth paste.

Pour this mixture into a tall (Collins or Hurricane) glass.

Rinse the blender. Blend the banana, the coconut cream, and the pineapple juice in blender with crushed ice until smooth.

Pour this mixture into the glass with the rums very slowly and watch as the strawberry mixture oozes its way to the top along the sides of the glass creating the flowing lava effect.

Garnish with a pineapple wedge and umbrella.

2 please.

Lava flow.....it's nectar of the gods prepared in a blender.

I know exactly how to make it......go up to friendly Royal Caribbean bartender and say "lava flow please!!!!" wait less than a minute or so and one magically appears in my hand.

Seriously, I have a mai tai at EVERY sailaway.....even at 50 degrees and raining last year in Venice.....but then during the week I will drink beer, lava flows and ice cold water by the pool.....wine with dinner.:D

Quick follow-up question:

I noticed in the fine print of all of the alcohol packages that "specialty beers as listed on bar menus" are not included in any of the packages. Does this mean the import pints at the British-style pubs are not included, or is the fine print talking about super-premium beers I was unaware RCI even carried?

Quick follow-up question:

I noticed in the fine print of all of the alcohol packages that "specialty beers as listed on bar menus" are not included in any of the packages. Does this mean the import pints at the British-style pubs are not included, or is the fine print talking about super-premium beers I was unaware RCI even carried?

This is a pub beer menu from last year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38675006&postcount=4

I believe only the beers with an asterisk ar excluded from the packages.

This is a pub beer menu from last year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...06&postcount=4

I believe only the beers with an asterisk ar excluded from the packages.

Thanks!

It, of course, figures that the beers I would be most interested in ordering on that menu all have that little asterisk next to them (such as the Sam small batches), but at least it's more than just the American usual suspects included in the plan.

I used the Premium package on NOS and it is worth it if you drink at least $65 a day in soda, water bottles and alcohol. With the Wine, Martinis, Gin & tonics, scotch and the list goes on that is usually avg $9 with good wine, you can easily hit $65 a day.

See my review Navigator of the Seas Feb 5th thread on the beverage packages

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1988060

• 3 weeks later...