I think I just made a huge mistake!

Walt724

I just booked a last minute (3 weeks out) cruise on the Jewel. It is supposed to be a combination graduation/senior year/enlisted in the Army “guys only” cruise for me and my DS (17). After reading some reviews and other stuff on here I think I may have ruined things for both of us!

Since it’s last minute (meaning no advance saving for cruise) I went with an IX GTY instead of our normal suite. Now I’m reading you have to provide your own toiletries (paper, towels, soap, etc) if you have a “bargain” inside cabin. Also, I was told there is no electricity in the cabin, so bring a wind up alarm clock to tell time and a flash light to see. Is it true we’re (IX guests) not allowed to eat with the “regular” passengers? Do we really have to stand in a soup line to be fed?

I read somewhere we have to help out two days during the cruise with laundry duties since we didn’t pay as much as the rest of you. Are we actually allowed out on deck to see the ocean or do we pay extra for that? How about the pool? Also pay for use for us steerage class passengers?

Is it true we will be fed the day old biscuits from the buffet if we try to order room service? Not sure how we’d do that since I was told there will not be a phone in the cabin unless I pay extra.

Also, do they sell earplugs on board or should I bring them from home? I have read that all inside cabins are next to crew areas and are all very noisy.

If you’ve managed to read this far – smile dammit! Too many ultra serious, tightly wound individuals posting on here. Remember , this is vacation stuff we’re talking about!!!

And if you’re wondering, yes, I really did take a step back/down (from an SJ on Dawn to and IX on Jewel) to make this cruise happen for my DS - and we're going to enjoy every minute of it! He is a high school senior, has recently enlisted in the Army and has earned a vacation before his world becomes all too real.

Don't forget a roll or two of quarters....for the pay toilet down the hall from your cabin. I also heard that the 1X cabins are next to the recycling room. You have to put in a couple hours separating recyclables before you get your meal of hardtack and gruel.

:p

Ah, so it really wasn't a full moon or Mercury rising, we were just waiting for our resident comedian... welcome here anytime, "Sir Walt"...:p

Thanks for this fun, and have a wonderful cruise with DS and congratulations to him...big steps he's taking. :D

Many thanks to your son for his service.

No worries about the pool. There is a secret stairwell on deck 4, that leads to deck 1 where you should look for a door marked "hyperbaric chamber access". Behind that door there is a lock chamber. Be sure you close the hatch and turn it to LOCK once you are inside. Now look to the right wall and push the button with the blue light above it. The chamber will start pressurizing. DO NOT open the other hatch! You will notice that the light above the button is illuminated RED and flashing. Wait until the light turns GREEN, then it is OK to open the other hatch.

Now step through the hatch and sit on the hull. This is the lower most spot in the bowels of the ship. You will notice that there are old torn pool towels for your use. You can let your feet dangle into the water. Don't worry about sharks, as there is a small 'cage' below enclosing this opening to the sea to keep them from taking a nibble or more. :eek: You can even lower yourself into this 'cage' but you may be sucked to the rear of it if the ship is moving fast - not really recommended - someone will have to reach down and 'fish' you back up. How long can you hold your breath?

Enjoy! :D

Edited by medicalma'am

Many thanks to your son for his service.

No worries about the pool. There is a secret stairwell on deck 4' date=' that leads to deck 1 where you should look for a door marked "hyperbaric chamber access". Behind that door there is a lock chamber. Be sure you close the hatch and turn it to LOCK once you are inside. Now look to the right wall and push the button with the blue light above it. The chamber will start pressurizing. DO NOT open the other hatch! You will notice that the light above the button is illuminated RED and flashing. Wait until the light turns GREEN, then it is OK to open the other hatch. [/font']

Now step through the hatch and sit on the hull. This is the lower most spot in the bowels of the ship. You will notice that there are old torn pool towels for your use. You can let your feet dangle into the water. Don't worry about sharks, as there is a small 'cage' below enclosing this opening to the sea to keep them from taking a nibble or more. :eek: You can even lower yourself into this 'cage' but you may be sucked to the rear of it if the ship is moving fast - not really recommended - someone will have to reach down and 'fish' you back up. How long can you hold your breath?

Enjoy! :D

LOL - I needed a good laugh this afternoon - ice and snow back in Atlanta - oh my! No, don't laugh about that too:D