Navigator, Chops menu, additional charge items.

dnhill

Hmm, I'm one of those "older cruisers", and I don't remember those times. Just how long ago was lobster "food for the poor?"

It became a luxury food item in the late 1800's. Prior to that, because there was so much of it and people were tired of it, they were feeding it to the poor, livestock, prisoners, etc.

There are a LOT of things RCCL does of which I am far from being a fan.

However, I have heard people on here rail hard against the existence of specialty restaurants at all. Arguing that their presence may negatively affect the quality of the included dining options. While I don't agree with their objection, I at least see the rational. But I am having a little trouble with being okay with an upcharge for a premium meal, but saying an additional upcharge for an even more premium option is objectionable.

As far as lamenting or being enthusiastic.... Are they now charging more for things that used to be included? Or are they charging more for options that didn't previously exist?

I think what people are objecting to is that when you plunk down $30, $40 or even $75 on Disney for a specialty restaurant there is a level of expectation that you're getting something special in return for your money.

The concept of paying the cover, and then having to pay an additional fee for items that might have been included in years past tends to rub most (normal) people the wrong way.

Generally people do not like being nickled and dimed, even if they are willing to pay a premium for a higher quality experience compared to a MDR.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp.

I think what people are objecting to is that when you plunk down $30, $40 or even $75 on Disney for a specialty restaurant there is a level of expectation that you're getting something special in return for your money.

The concept of paying the cover, and then having to pay an additional fee for items that might have been included in years past tends to rub most (normal) people the wrong way.

Generally people do not like being nickled and dimed, even if they are willing to pay a premium for a higher quality experience compared to a MDR.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp.

I respect that view. I guess I wonder this: How would you feel about a specialty dining venue that was a la carte instead of a single cover?

I respect that view. I guess I wonder this: How would you feel about a specialty dining venue that was a la carte instead of a single cover?

I absolutely wouldn't be interested. I can do that at home at restaurants that are as good or better than Chops. It would cost more than Chops, but the direction the lines are moving in suggests that may not always be the case.

I loved the concept of specialty dining when it was introduced and have eaten at SD venue on practically every cruise I've been on. However, I will re-evaluate that as lines continue to reduce the value the customer gets when they pay the cover.

I am on NOS and tried out Chops last evening. They feature a new menu that had some great new items. However I was dismayed that there were items on the menu that had an additional up charge. There were some aged beef selections that were more expensive.

Also, there was no baked potato on the menu. I did ask for one and it was delivered. There was an item on the menu that was cheese tator tots. For those of you from the south, I was expecting something like from Sonic. It was mashed potato with cheese mixed in with a crust. Very good.

Overall a good experience. I had the filet, which did not have an extra charge. It was great. Don't really like the trend of speciality areas having up charge items.

No baked potato on the menu in a "steak house"? Twice baked mashed potatoes with cheese mixed in? No thank you.

If you're ordering an extra special cut that is dry-aged longer than the normal cuts, I don't have a real issue with the additional charge.

We only have ourselves to blame for making these specialty restaurants so successful.

I absolutely wouldn't be interested. I can do that at home at restaurants that are as good or better than Chops. It would cost more than Chops, but the direction the lines are moving in suggests that may not always be the case.

I loved the concept of specialty dining when it was introduced and have eaten at SD venue on practically every cruise I've been on. However, I will re-evaluate that as lines continue to reduce the value the customer gets when they pay the cover.

Interesting. I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks. I would be happy to see an a la carte restaurant on board, so long as I felt the quality was commensurate with the charges.

I think part of it is thought process. I've never looked at cruising as all inclusive. I've looked at the cost of a cruise providing the accommodations I select and the amenities of the ship. I honestly don't think about the "built in cost" of dinner (I will admit I do for breakfast and most lunches). Maybe I should, but it's just not that way I think about it. As such, I don't feel the angst others do when I see more potential upcharges.

Maybe that makes me a sucker in some people's eyes. And maybe it means I'm not as responsible with my money as I should be.

I'm comfortable spending money as long as I am happy with what I get for it. And that metric is true for everyone. However everyone has a different tolerance and expectation.

But like I said, different strokes for different folks...

Here is the new menu from our 2/5 sailing:(All of the other menus are in my review OCD Planner's Navigator Post Dry Dock Pictorial Review - link in my signature if you are interested)

P1010122_zps4086bf37.jpg

P1010123_zps36444853.jpg

P1010124_zps952f52fe.jpg

Edited by ace1zoe2

I'm sorry but I think I'm going to have to look and see if there is a block feature on CC.....

Huh? If you are that thin-skinned, you're going to have to block at least half the posters on these boards. That poster was just curious as to why someone would object to an optional upcharge while paying one already - perfectly acceptable question.

There are all different types of cruisers - those who are perfectly happy to stay in an inside cabin and eat all meals in included venues and those who are willing to pay extra for larger accommodations and to eat upscale meals in specialty restaurants. I actually like that they offer these upcharge items as it keeps the cost of my cruise down. If I want them, I can have them, but I don't have to pay extra unless I want to. Makes perfect sense to me.

As to a la carte items - doesn't Izumi have that? Don't eat sushi, so I've never been, but I believe they charge by the item.

Here is the new menu from our 2/5 sailing:(All of the other menus are in my review OCD Planner's Navigator Post Dry Dock Pictorial Review - link in my signature if you are interested)

P1010122_zps4086bf37.jpg

P1010123_zps36444853.jpg

P1010124_zps952f52fe.jpg

That's interesting. Now, am I to understand that is the "included" menu? So was there an additional listing of items for an added fee?

That's interesting. Now, am I to understand that is the "included" menu? So was there an additional listing of items for an added fee?

I am now thinking that I may have missed a page when taking these photos. Or someone else pointed out that the burger has an asterisk next to it so possibly it's an up charge?

I find it interesting that the burger has Greyere cheese on it and not the more well-known and popular Gruyere. ;)

In terms of the actual menu, not a fan. They removed our favorite cut, the 10 oz filet. I'm also not a huge sauce Béarnaise fan, so the Béarnaise butter doesn't really appeal to me. Not a fan of caviar on the Caesar either - I personally liked the old Caesar chops had. Glad to see a mesclun salad added to the mix, though.

As for an up-charge for aged beef, depending on the up-charge I might be able to stomach it, but would be more willing to pay a little more for grass-fed or organic beef.

Edit: Just saw the desserts. No crème brûlée? In a steakhouse? Every ounce of my French heritage is trying its darndest to resist sending an e-mail version of Napoleon's Whiff of Grapeshot to RCI.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

Interesting. I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks. I would be happy to see an a la carte restaurant on board, so long as I felt the quality was commensurate with the charges.

I think part of it is thought process. I've never looked at cruising as all inclusive. I've looked at the cost of a cruise providing the accommodations I select and the amenities of the ship. I honestly don't think about the "built in cost" of dinner (I will admit I do for breakfast and most lunches). Maybe I should, but it's just not that way I think about it. As such, I don't feel the angst others do when I see more potential upcharges.

Maybe that makes me a sucker in some people's eyes. And maybe it means I'm not as responsible with my money as I should be.

I'm comfortable spending money as long as I am happy with what I get for it. And that metric is true for everyone. However everyone has a different tolerance and expectation.

But like I said, different strokes for different folks...

I've never viewed cruising as all inclusive either and in fact when people who have never been on a cruise ask me about that I make sure they know that this is a common misconception.

You made my point for me with this sentence:"I'm comfortable spending money as long as I am happy with what I get for it."

Couldn't agree more. I think where we will have to agree to disagree is on whether or not the lines continue to chip away at that value at their SD venues. It's pretty clear to me that they are.

But in the interest of full disclosure I am booked at Chops for my upcoming Navigator cruise.

Edited by okiecruiser71

I've never viewed cruising as all inclusive either and in fact when people who have never been on a cruise ask me about that I make sure they know that this is a common misconception.

You made my point for me with this sentence:"I'm comfortable spending money as long as I am happy with what I get for it."

Couldn't agree more. I think where we will have to agree to disagree is on whether or not the lines continue to chip away at that value at their SD venues. It's pretty clear to me that they are.

But in the interest of full disclosure I am booked at Chops for my upcoming Navigator cruise.

That's where I'm at too. From a drink perspective cruises haven't been all-inclusive for a long time, except the ultra-luxury lines. But from a food perspective, the switch from essentially all-inclusive towards an ever-expanding and ever-pricier list of upcharged venues is relatively recent. I'm with you that it is absolutely at least partially at the expense of what you get in standard dining, but there's nothing I can do about it, and I'll likely do the occasional optional venue too.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk