Getaway Fare - Cabin Allocation

weliketocruise86

I am sure all those who paid full whack are delighted to hear of all these Getaway passengers getting upgrades and great cabins. The sooner the new regime comes in the better.

I think that a good portion of 'Getaway'ers will just go elsewhere. P&O make a big mistake by making the Select prices too high. On these Caribbean cruises there was £1000 difference between the 2 prices for a balcony, if they had made the initial price somewhere between the 2 prices they would have sold a lot more cabins initially instead of being 'forced' to sell them this low. You can't blame the customer. Once all the initial 'hype' with Britannia dies down they will be back in the same situation again.

You are right that P&O have brought this on themselves and I certainly don't blame the Getawayers for taking full advantage of this paradox. However I do not think the Getawayers will move elsewhere - we all know the great deals and lower prices will still be there - but the extra goodies and upgrades which they seem to get now should disappear with priority moving to the full fare payer - which seems fair. So you will still be on board at the bargain price - but maybe not in such a good cabin, or with the dining choice you want and, of course, you will be devastated by having to cough up for the shuttle bus into port.

Have a great holiday.

There are those of us who still choose to book early in order to get the cabin and dining allocation we want. We too are on the Azura cruise and booked nearly a year ago. We have the specific cabin we wanted and the dining sitting. Since we booked our grade of cabin has not reduced in price - yes there was a Getaway fare but there was no way we would have got allocated our cabin as it is aft and the only ones still available when Getaways were introduced were right at the front of the ship.

I know some people choose to wait and see what deals are available and good for them but there are still some who choose to book early.

We have a Baltic cruise booked for September and have had increased OBC as our grade of cabin was reduced in price so we are not moaning!

You are right that P&O have brought this on themselves and I certainly don't blame the Getawayers for taking full advantage of this paradox. However I do not think the Getawayers will move elsewhere - we all know the great deals and lower prices will still be there - but the extra goodies and upgrades which they seem to get now should disappear with priority moving to the full fare payer - which seems fair. So you will still be on board at the bargain price - but maybe not in such a good cabin, or with the dining choice you want and, of course, you will be devastated by having to cough up for the shuttle bus into port.

Have a great holiday.

That's a fair point. and I am the first to agree that the Vantage/Select customers should get the upgrades first but the problem is that lots of people buy the say the lowest grade balconies as they are cheaper than say the higher grade balconies and that has left the higher grade ones to the Getaway people and that is changing and that is fair. But the overriding thing is price and they are too high for the quality of the product (IMHO). They need to get back to days of selling most of the cabins early at a reasonable price.

I am sure all those who paid full whack are delighted to hear of all these Getaway passengers getting upgrades and great cabins. The sooner the new regime comes in the better.

I don't consider p deck inside to b deck inside an upgrade or a great cabin. Not too bothered where we are on the ship to be honest - now inside to balcony would definitely be something to cheer about :D

I agree with last poster I book an inside on getaway and thus far have had an inside, some would claim that I had an upgrade as they were on high decks, never been sure how companies charge more for the same size cabin on a higher deck. Personally with choice I would go for one on lower deck, less movement. Sure that vantage customers would not have wanted to change to the cabins that I had, one was over one of the theatres didn't need to attend as you could hear it all in the cabin, the second was highest inside cabin right at the back there was sure some movement would not have been good for people who don't like movement. For what I paid I was happy to accept these cabins probably free because no vantage customer would book them.

The cabin locations upset me that much that I'm chancing it again in 24 days, yet to have cabin allocated. Probably be just above the engines this time hahaha :) Doesn't bother me as long as I'm on the ship and have a bed to sleep in.

Middy - excellent attitude. Because, lets be honest, once you are outside your cabin everyone is equal. And most of us only use the cabin to grab a few hours kip each night before the next exciting day's activities.

Mind you there are rumours around of some lines (not P&O yet) who are beginning to segregate activities depending on your cabin. A bit like Cunard's grills. That would stir up some of our feisty forumites methinks.