Shopping on ship

2red4u

Nothing is cheap except possibly the tee shirt sale at the end of the cruise. On several lines, there's an area that has $10 things, evening bags, shawls, belts, but it's all inexpensive stuff you can get anywhere. IMO, there isn't any clothing worth buying on the ship, only maybe if you're in dire need of something you forgot.

If you are thinking about buying a piece of jewelry, find out what prices are typical at home prior to leaving. I'm not a jewelry shopper, so I have no idea, but the stuff is pretty to look at. I just would not go uneducated.

Almost all ships have "sales" a few days into the cruise. But, don't get too excited, it's all the same stuff every week. They haul it out for the "sale", then put it back in boxes for the storeroom until the next week. It includes cheaply made T-shirts, handbags, jewelry, etc… Much of the stuff you can find on the internet for about half of what the cruise ships sell it for, but it's fun to look through all of it. I read a lot of women here will buy the wraps for $10, usually they have those and the handbags for $10 in the ship stores even prior to the sale.

The regular stock does not typically go on sale in the shops. Once in a while you can find a discounted item. I once found keychains that were normally about $4.95 for $1.00. I still have that keychain on my house key.

I still go into the shops every cruise on a sea day. Sometimes I will buy makeup or skin care if they have something I need to replace. The prices are the same as they are at home, but no tax, so a small savings there.

My motto is "if you see something you like, buy it." ;)

That said, the vast majority of items I've seen sold in ship stores is cheesy logo stuff/souvenirs and liquor that I would never buy anywhere. There's always the jewelry counter, but it's not anything unique. BUT, in the interest of full disclosure, I did spy a pair of silver elongated hoops on one of my cruises that I did buy - they were just the right size to be "legal" to wear at work and I had been looking for a pair at home. The price was within line of what I had seen at home...

I am not totally sure how it works but the cruise line will inform customs of your onboard purchases so if you go over your limit you will in all likelihood be confronted at customs so make sure you declare your purchase on the custom declaration form.

There is a great app called Simply Declare that will help you keep track of your purchases.

Shak

http://www.simplydeclare.com/

If you are thinking about buying a piece of jewelry, find out what prices are typical at home prior to leaving. I'm not a jewelry shopper, so I have no idea, but the stuff is pretty to look at. I just would not go uneducated.

Almost all ships have "sales" a few days into the cruise. But, don't get too excited, it's all the same stuff every week. They haul it out for the "sale", then put it back in boxes for the storeroom until the next week. It includes cheaply made T-shirts, handbags, jewelry, etc… Much of the stuff you can find on the internet for about half of what the cruise ships sell it for, but it's fun to look through all of it. I read a lot of women here will buy the wraps for $10, usually they have those and the handbags for $10 in the ship stores even prior to the sale.

The regular stock does not typically go on sale in the shops. Once in a while you can find a discounted item. I once found keychains that were normally about $4.95 for $1.00. I still have that keychain on my house key.

I still go into the shops every cruise on a sea day. Sometimes I will buy makeup or skin care if they have something I need to replace. The prices are the same as they are at home, but no tax, so a small savings there.

I disagree just a little bit...I've gotten makeup and Clinique items on sale aboard ships at prices that are a lot cheaper than on land. On my last cruise on the Carnival Pride...I bought, at a reasonable price, a pair of black knit, drawstring capri pants that had a row of sequins down the side of each leg that I wore about three times to dinner on the ship along with three different tops that I had brought with me. I got tons of compliments on them. It was very unique and I really enjoy wearing them here at home too. Not everything is great or priced well...but somehow I always find deals!

I have a shipboard routine. I always get a new and different colored evening bag at the $10 store on the ship and I usually will get a watch (I collect them) on sale during my cruises. The last one I got was a Guess watch. I've been wearing it since my cruise over a year ago and I get tons of compliments on it. They always, always have sales on jewelry. Even if I know I can go to an outlet and probably get the same watch for about the same price...I love it every time I look at my Guess watch to check the time because it reminds me of a wonderful, fun, family cruise that I enjoyed so much. It was just before my son went off to college.:D He picked out the watch for me.

Edited by mousey