25,000 in port... what to do?

noche_caliente

We will be in port on 1/9/15, and according to info that I can find online, there will be 24,733 on 8 ships. I am not sure where we will dock, or if we will tender instead, as we will be on the Norwegian Sun. The bigger concern though is where to go for the day that will not be super crowded.

There are 6 of us. Me and DH, DD who will be 4, and DS who will be 9. We will also have DMIL and DFIL who are in their 60's. On previous stops to Cozumel, DH and I have gone horseback riding, and we went with DS when he was 3 to do the dolphin swim at Cahnkanab.

DH can't really swim, and DD and DS are learning. I don't mind swimming and snorkeling, but having had skin cancer twice, I am just as happy having shade somewhere to try and avoid it. DFIL has limited mobility. No one in the family has any desire to drink alcohol.

In Belize we are going to Lamanai, Costa Maya will likely be Chaccoben and the 7-color lagoon. Roatan might be an island tour, but we are not sure yet.

Does anyone have suggestions for what to do in Cozumel that won't be crowded? We are considering Chankanab again, or possibly heading out to Paradise Beach. There are just so many offerings, and our group is so diverse, I don't really know where to look.

Thanks for your help!

Wow! 8 ships!

Hard to say where you'll berth. Typically NCL ship dock at Punta Langosta downtown.

I'm assuming that heading to Nachi Cucum isn't exactly what you're looking for, though if you get ressies it'll be a quieter day.

However, given the long days you'll have in Belize, and Costa Maya, I'd suggest 1) look up the thread here, "hiring a driver for the day" and get the contact information and take a tour around the island, stopping somewhere on the east side for lunch, maybe hitting the Tequila Factory and stopping at the Kaokao factory for a chocolate tour on the way back into town. Or, 2) if downtown, since you're so close, take a ferry to Playa del Carmen and walk around a bit, assuming mobility, or shop at less crowded stores. Or 3) head a few blocks north toward the ferry and visit the museum there, have a nice lunch in their café or at Cinco Soles' Panchos Backyard or La Palmeras with its window views of the ocean. None of these are that far and walking is fairly easy and you can take your time. Or 4) catch a short taxi to Buccanos. It'll be less crowded than the southern beaches. http://www.buccanos.com/Buccanos-Bar-Grill.htm

• 3 weeks later...
We will be in port on 1/9/15, and according to info that I can find online, there will be 24,733 on 8 ships. I am not sure where we will dock, or if we will tender instead, as we will be on the Norwegian Sun. The bigger concern though is where to go for the day that will not be super crowded.

There are 6 of us. Me and DH, DD who will be 4, and DS who will be 9. We will also have DMIL and DFIL who are in their 60's. On previous stops to Cozumel, DH and I have gone horseback riding, and we went with DS when he was 3 to do the dolphin swim at Cahnkanab.

DH can't really swim, and DD and DS are learning. I don't mind swimming and snorkeling, but having had skin cancer twice, I am just as happy having shade somewhere to try and avoid it. DFIL has limited mobility. No one in the family has any desire to drink alcohol.

In Belize we are going to Lamanai, Costa Maya will likely be Chaccoben and the 7-color lagoon. Roatan might be an island tour, but we are not sure yet.

Does anyone have suggestions for what to do in Cozumel that won't be crowded? We are considering Chankanab again, or possibly heading out to Paradise Beach. There are just so many offerings, and our group is so diverse, I don't really know where to look.

Thanks for your help!

To guarantee yourself avoiding overcrowding, that pretty much SCREAMS Nachi Cocum. (I am always happy to pay my $55 just for the 100 person limit and the gorgeous facilities, the excellent 4 course meal and drinks are a bonus)

I can say that Nachi has the entire restaurant area for shade and moblity issues.

Also the pool deck for stable walking area. (the beach will be impossible for someone with mobility issues)

Plenty of shade under the 25 or so palapas, with 4 longers under each.

Also the hammocks and loungers in the trees.

Paradise Beach with that kind of shipload will almost be guaranteed to be packed, being the cheapest option. (and uniformed cruisers will always choose the cheapest option at the pier)

Chankanaab and Playa Mia might be less crowded, than Paradise and Mr. Sanchos as they both have entrance fees. (but neither has a limit on people)

Mr. Sanchos has a 200 person limit on the AI side of the resort and no limit I have heard of on the ala carte side. (which again, being cheap, will probably lead to crowds.)

Playa Palancar might be another thought, as it being the furthest south of the beach clubs, tends to keep it from overcrowding.

Hope that helps to start your search.

I too wold recommend hiring a driver for at least 1/2 of the day and going over to the Wild Side..beautiful, quiet beaches, quaint lunch places and best of all minus 25,000 people lol

We are using Black Hat Cozumel this Saturday (3/8/14) and have a van with a driver for 3 hours at $90.00. I will post a review when we get back. In the meantime you can find him on Facebook.

We have been there with as many ships.

I agree with others.

One of the best things we ever did was hire a driver for the day; the "other side" of the island is incredible. The surf can be rough but there are great restaurants and no crowds.

With that many people you will not have a problem getting a good price; pick areas you want to see and enjoy!

Cozumel Bar Hop Bus!!! No question get yourself to the other side of the island and the Bar Hop Bus is an easy, convenient and FUN way to do that! Stay far, far away from the beach clubs like Mr. Sanchos, Paradise Beach, Chankanaab. They will be mobbed.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

Great timely thread as we booked a last minute family trip in just two weeks and there are multiple ships in port with us as well. Our son is 7. Nachi is already sold out. Buccanos would fit the bill if it doesn't get too busy. We are just looking for a good quiet beach with services at this stop. We were planning on doing Chankanaab on our own but that doesnt sound wise due to crowds.

Looking forward to more responses!

We did the Cozumel Bar Hop and had a great time. You might look at the name of

this tour and think booze cruise on land, but except for 3 sorority girls that were entertaining and

interacted well with the older group, this is not a booze cruise. Yes you were provided a shot at each

of the stops, but they were more juice than booze, and you were not forced to drink them, but they

were tasty. Each stop offered a great view of the rugged side of the island, and they stops were more restaurant than bar, and the food choices were quite good! Only complaint is that the sound

system in the van did not work, so we were not signing between stops and the trip back to the ship.If

you want a stress free tour of the other side of the island, I recommend the Bar Hop, even if you do not drink.

I would recommend the Jeep Island Tour with Island Marketing. We did the dune buggy tour with them last time we were there & with your DFIL having mobility issues, a Jeep would be easier to get in/out of than a dune buggy. You go all over the island...to Punta Sur, the lighthouse, crocodiles, Mayan Ruins, tequila factory, & snorkeling if you wish. Lunch is included. Absolutely beautiful drive!

Buccanos looks awesome!!i think i am going to look into that!!

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

Are there taxis readily available at Buccanos to get back to the ship? Do you make reservations or just show up?

Here is a link to a quick review I wrote earlier

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...90&postcount=2

We were on a land based vacation at the time but taxis were readily available from the parking lot. We did not pre-book. If you are from a cruise ship I would think you would need to take non-cruise ship towels or pay the non-refundable entrance fee, which includes snorkeling equipment. I have always had fairly quick replies to questions when I have emailed facility.

If you have any other questions I will try and answer.

Cozumel Bar Hop Bus!!! No question get yourself to the other side of the island and the Bar Hop Bus is an easy, convenient and FUN way to do that! Stay far, far away from the beach clubs like Mr. Sanchos, Paradise Beach, Chankanaab. They will be mobbed.

We did the Cozumel Bar Hop and had a great time. You might look at the name of

this tour and think booze cruise on land, but except for 3 sorority girls that were entertaining and

interacted well with the older group, this is not a booze cruise. Yes you were provided a shot at each

of the stops, but they were more juice than booze, and you were not forced to drink them, but they

were tasty. Each stop offered a great view of the rugged side of the island, and they stops were more restaurant than bar, and the food choices were quite good! Only complaint is that the sound

system in the van did not work, so we were not signing between stops and the trip back to the ship.If

you want a stress free tour of the other side of the island, I recommend the Bar Hop, even if you do not drink.

I also highly recommend the Bar Hop but unfortunately for OP I don't think this is possible because the official policy for the regular Hop is over 18.

There is a Kids Hop which is also offered by the same company on a limited basis, when demand dictates. This hop visits the east side but slightly different more kid friendly locations.

http://www.cozumelkidshop.com/

Great timely thread as we booked a last minute family trip in just two weeks and there are multiple ships in port with us as well. Our son is 7. Nachi is already sold out. Buccanos would fit the bill if it doesn't get too busy. We are just looking for a good quiet beach with services at this stop. We were planning on doing Chankanaab on our own but that doesnt sound wise due to crowds.

Looking forward to more responses!

We're headed to Playa Palancar next week on our cruise. From what I've read, it's one of the southern most beaches and since it's farther from port (20 min by taxi- about $25 each way (for 1-4 people) if my info is correct), it's less crowded. Here's some info they emailed me:

"Admission is free

Consumption of food and beverages free chairs and tables

PLAYA PALANCAR

Come to visit to our we offer to you a snorkeler trip to palancar reef the tour is.

Two reefs visited Colombia and palancar

Time is one hour thirty minutes

Fifteen minutes boat ride to the reef and

Fifteen minutes to back on the beach

One (1) hour of snorkeling tour visiting

Colombia reef for thirty minutes and

Thirty minutes on palancar reef

The cost is adults 35 usd.

Children under 12 years 30 usd

Departures every day

10:00 am. 12:00 am. 2:00 pm.

This includes boat transportation

Snorkeling equipment, bottle water on board, certified guide

and free fees marine park

at the end of the tour, free kayak for thirty minute and

We photograph on the tour for your memories and videos

35 dlls per disc.

we have for your family

restaurant, bar, massage, shopping for souvenirs, Molock (10% off on you purchase ) hammocks, towels"

They also offer parasailing for $55pp.