Chatsworth from London in one day?

cadburysmom

Hi,

I'm interested in seeing Chatsworth House and understand it's a 2.5 hr train ride from London. Friends have told me to wait and save it for a time when I can stay in Derbyshire and enjoy the area for a few days.

But, I really want to see Chatsworth and as I only have a few days in London, I was hoping to make it a day trip so I could spend the other days in London. For those who have visited Chatsworth, do you think I should give it a try or just wait until my next trip. I only get to London every four years or so and not sure when I'll be back.

Thanks!

I grew up near the Staffordshire/Derbyshire border. I agree that you really should take the time to explore the Peak District where Chatsworth is located. It is an incredibly beautiful area of England with lots to explore. Here is an older trip advisor link but timing is probably still correct.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186248-i1184-k3577112-London_to_Chatsworth_by_bus_or_car-Derbyshire_England.html

Alaskanb,

Thanks so much for your reply and the link to the tripadvisor thread. I think I'll take your advise and wait until another trip when I have more than a day to explore that beautiful area.

Thanks again!

You are very welcome --it's one of my favorite areas in the world.

If you really want to see Chatsworth from London you can get a very early train to Sheffield or Chesterfield arriving well before the house and gardens open. There are public transport options, but why not make some enquiries in to private hire vehicles to take you out to the park and house and bring you back.

It would be a long day, but perfectly possible (I know people who go up for the day to walk in the Peak District). You can snooze on the train back to London :)

The "finding us" page on the Chatsworth website says that the closest rail station is Chesterfield:

http://www.chatsworth.org/visiting/finding-us

However, my research indicates that bus service from Chesterfield to Chatsworth is somewhat spotty, and that there are better--and faster--bus options between Matlock and Chatsworth. (In the words of Adrian Monk: "I may be wrong--but I don't think so.")

The National Rail journey planner shows an 8:56 departure from St Pancras that will get you to Matlock at 11:26. (Note: You need to change trains at Derby.) I put in next Tuesday as a dummy date; the journey planner shows an advance purchase singe (one-way) fare of £22.

From Matlock station, it's a five- to ten-minute walk to the bus stop where you can catch the 11:50 bus (#218) to Chatsworth; the ride takes just over 20 minutes.

http://www.derbysbus.info/times/timetables/218M-130722.pdf

Going back to London, you could catch a 17:43 (=5:43 pm) or 18:43 (=6:43 pm) bus from Chatsworth to Matlock. Trains depart Matlock at 18:37 (=6:37 pm) and 20:37 (=8:37 pm); again, change at Derby for the train to London St Pancras. The advance purchase fare shown on my dummy booking for next Tuesday is either £22 (for the 18:37) or £19 (for the 20:37).

cadburysmom ~

You're welcome. Glad I could be of service.:)

Just bear in mind that if you buy your train tickets at the station (St Pancras) on the day of your trip, they will cost much more than if you purchase them in advance online.

From a quick play-around on the National Rail site --

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

-- it looks as if the same journey that costs £22 if you purchase in advance online will cost £95 if you turn up at the station and purchase it on the spot!:eek: And that's just one-way!:eek::eek:

(They call it an "Anytime" fare. I call it a "No-time, Never, Ever" fare.;))

Thank you all for your wonderful input. Nice to know I can do it in a day. I'll just wait and see how I feel once in London.

Definitely gives me a lot to think about. Thanks again. :)

I don't know where you will be visiting from, but just for info if you visit at another time, Manchester airport is much nearer (and easier access to the Peak District) than London.

We live in Chesterfield and have the pleasure of having The Peak District just a few miles away. Whilst I would support a longer visit to the area it is possible to do it in a day if you don't mind a long day.

Some more information may help.

In the UK the best time to buy a rail ticket is 11weeks ahead of when you want to travel, basically when the tickets are released. Also, the cheapest fares are outside of peak travel time, which you can find on the ticket website.

Head to Chesterfield and not to any other station - you could use a local taxi company to take you and collect you.

Edited by roysmith99

We live in Chesterfield and have the pleasure of having The Peak District just a few miles away. Whilst I would support a longer visit to the area it is possible to do it in a day if you don't mind a long day.

Some more information may help.

In the UK the best time to buy a rail ticket is 11weeks ahead of when you want to travel, basically when the tickets are released. Also, the cheapest fares are outside of peak travel time, which you can find on the ticket website.

Head to Chesterfield and not to any other station - you could use a local taxi company to take you and collect you.

We are also considering a day trip from London in June. Do we need to phone ahead for a Chesterfield taxi, or are they usually waiting at the station?

Harry and Carol

It's possible but very far and what if there are train delays? There are lots of beautiful national trust properties closer to london which might be more manageable

Or the world heritage city of bath is only 1.5 hr direct train from London and has plentiful Georgian architecture and rolling hills, beautiful countryside

Cambridge too is only 50 mins from kings cross and is a beautiful city

We are also considering a day trip from London in June. Do we need to phone ahead for a Chesterfield taxi, or are they usually waiting at the station?

Harry and Carol

Hi, there are taxis at the station but I would call ahead and book, you may get a better deal, try Tower Cars, Chesterfield in Google. They are an independent company who only do pre-booked cabs, rather than the Hackney cabs that you will get at the station.

As a local, if I was able to commit I would offer to pick you up myself - no charge - I don't work and I love showing people around our beautiful countryside.

Thank You Roy. We don't have a date or train selected yet for the day trip, but will think of your offer as June approaches. How long a drive is it from the station to Chatsworth?

Harry and Carol

Thank You Roy. We don't have a date or train selected yet for the day trip, but will think of your offer as June approaches. How long a drive is it from the station to Chatsworth?

Harry and Carol

Hi again, the time depends on how long you want to spend travelling through the beautiful country - but allow 30mins to get out of the town and over to Chatsworth Park. It is a tourist route so can be a little busy.:) it's just less than 10miles.

Edited by roysmith99