Radiance...South Pacific review, Sydney Australia lots of photos

Second port of call was too be Mystery Island,Vanuatu.....due too the recent cyclone ,troprical storm that passed over a couple of days before we arrived,the Radiance had too skip this port because of damage to the pier.

The captain decided to head north and a extra sea day was included.....the only benefit was we had extra time at Champagne bay,Vanuatu on the island of Espiritu Santo.

We were to have a half day and this was changed to a full day.

Champagne Bay,Vanuatu

Ships arrival 7.00

Last tender 6.30 pm

Champagne bay turned out to be one of the highlights of this cruise.....we headed off early on a early tender and joined our cruise critic friends from Greece to share a tour.

The locals were selling tours to the Blue hole & blue lagoon.....I had done research before arrival and had read the blue lagoon was not to be missed.....it is a natural spring that feeds water into a crystal clear lagoon.

The blue lagoon is 20 km from the cruise port and cost us $25 p/p and $5 entry fee.....the blue hole is only a short distance from cruise port,but not as good.

I heard onboard that some folks paid a taxi driver before tour started and got left behind at the blue hole and had to pay again for return trip....one should always pay at the end of a tour with taxis.

Champagne bay

ChampagneBay005_zpsb2cb9c61.jpg

ChampagneBay010_zpscee87e50.jpg

ChampagneBay012_zpsfd60e575.jpg

ChampagneBay008_zps43948772.jpg

ChampagneBay007_zps7fe58990.jpg

ChampagneBay017_zps98fa1e90.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this cruise through another's eyes! Cyclone Edna certainly made for a fun night. We spent it in the champagne bar people watching. Hilarious!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

I heard there was a fight in one of the bars and it got out of hand.

We saw them getting dropped off in Port Vila.......costly exercise.:)

I just sailed via Tahiti on a trans pacific a few months ago in Sept. But this review is about a cruise that goes to the Vanuatu Islands & New Caledonian Islands so the OP didn't go to Tahiti. :)

I was aware the only port I could gain some insight on from this review was few Caledonia, but we will also be finishing our cruise in Sydney, as such the review would be helpful in that regards as well.

Port Vila,Vanuatu

Ships Arrival 8.00

All Aboard 5.30

Weather 30 c / 86 F

This was our second visit to Port Vila,last time we stayed for a weeks holiday in one of the resorts.....we fell in love with Vanuatu...the people are so nice and friendly.

First appearance is not the best,but Port Vila is what it is......a small town in the South Pacific.

It has some of the best duty free prices in town for alcohol you will find....a lot cheaper than the ship....Example 2 litres Jim Beam white $20 Aus or $17 US .

Tours

Most tours at the pier are taxi tours....lots of taxis lined up to take you wherever you wish to go.

You can hire a taxi all day for $130 ,it depends on your bargaining......we decided to hire a taxi and head out to the Mele Cascades water falls,these falls are a highlight on any trip to Port Vila.

You can walk up the falls....ideal on a hot summer day.

The falls are 20 mins from the cruise port and there is a $25 p/p entrance fee....we paid our taxi $80 for the three of us for 5 hrs.

We got our driver to drop us off at the Anchor Inn for lobster and steak lunch-overlooking Port Vila harbor.

Port Vila Harbour

PortVilaVanuatu007_zpsb49326d8.jpg

Markets lined up

PortVilaVanuatu012_zps7c078514.jpg

PortVilaVanuatu017_zps4ea739f5.jpg

PortVilaVanuatu018_zps6147d9d3.jpg

Heading back to the ship.

HolidayPhotos610_zpsfde46cf7.jpg

HolidayPhotos614_zps5d84a8d8.jpg

Met Chrissy the expat who raises money for Port Vila hospital at the pier....I had a nice chat with her and gave her our remaining Vatu (money).

She does great work in helping the locals with hospital funds.

HolidayPhotos616_zps2fd7b5be.jpg

A quick shout out for Rcl.

In Port Vila there was traffic accident at the port......we saw the ambulance arrive in a hurry.

I didn't see what happened,but heard from someone who was there and they said some passengers were on a private tour and there van didn't have a handbrake.

The van had a rock under it's tyre as a brake while it was parked at the pier and brake broke free.....a young man in his 20's was thrown from the van.....he suffered some injuries.....suspected broken arm/hand.

The local hospital didn't have the correct X-ray machine that was required.....the local vet was the only one to have this.

Rcl staff took the young man back to the ship and from what I heard gave him fantastic treatment from the ships doctor and 1st world facilities onboard.

I heard there was no charge from the ship....but this was second hand information......a good outcome in the end.

Lifou,Loyalty Islands

Ships Arrival 8.00

Last Tender 5.30

Weather 28 c / 82 F

Lifou is a nice beach stop....it was a short tender ride to the pier.

The locals were selling 2 hr tours of the Island for $35 p/p.....we had a look at the tour options and decided it was better to have a lazy day on the beach.

We walked up the hill to the church in 20 mins and had a great view of the ship and island.

The new stairs for the snorkeling was open....$15 p/p to enter....the beach at the pier is free.

The locals were selling beer & soft drink and there was plenty of shopping in the markets.

Arriving in Lifou

LifouNewCalendonia001_zps2024d7dd.jpg

LifouNewCalendonia005_zps1bc44726.jpg

LifouNewCalendonia019_zpsf7efe276.jpg

LifouNewCalendonia016_zps03cf7063.jpg

Our room,

We booked a E1 balcony for the three of us....two adults and 1 child (15)

We were on deck 10 #1508...five cabins from the front starboard side.

This cabin sleeps four.....it has the bed slide out of the roof as well,we tried this bed and found it got in the way more than the sofa bed....plus in swayed a little in rough seas.

The sofa bed was comfortable by all reports.

Our cabin.

IsleOfPinesGalaxy218_zps99db1b42.jpg

IsleOfPinesGalaxy219_zps8a277649.jpg

Where does the 4th bed fold down from the ceiling?

Also the sofa bed, does it block you from going to the bathroom?

We nearly went on a Radiance of the Seas cruise in a 4 berth cabin.

Where does the 4th bed fold down from the ceiling?

Also the sofa bed, does it block you from going to the bathroom?

We nearly went on a Radiance of the Seas cruise in a 4 berth cabin.

The other bed pops out of the ceiling above the double bed.....the sofa has wooden base,so very sturdy to climb over.

We tried the pop out bed but the guard rail is small and you could easy fall out,our 15 yr said the sofa was comphy and we stuck with that.

In the morning we folded it up easy and used the sofa.

Isle Of Pines,New Caledonia

Ships Arrival 8.00

Last Tender 4.30

Last port of call on this cruise and with Champagne Bay our favourite......clear water with sandy beach awaited us.

We took another local tour at the pier....this time a 2 hr Island tour around most of the Isle Of Pines...cost $25 p/p...it was on big bus.

Arriving at Isle Of Pines

IsleOfPinesGalaxy116_zpsd38502d8.jpg

IsleOfPinesGalaxy147_zpsf1652208.jpg

IsleOfPinesGalaxy144_zps170bbda8.jpg

IsleOfPinesGalaxy132_zps73c6660d.jpg

IsleOfPinesGalaxy149_zpsa40e9550.jpg