looking for reviews of the Aerial Tram & Whale Watching

echusky

I'm looking for reviews and recommendations on the Aerial Tram amd Whale Watching tours....

I will be coming on the Carnival Destiny in Feb 05....I'm starting early on my shore tour research

We did the whale watching tour this past March. I personally didn't think it was worth the $70 per person. It lasted about 3 hours and the Destiny was always in sight. We did see 2 sperm whales on the way back to the ship,but the boat kept it's distance and they were hard to see. Kinda looked like logs floating on the water. Wished we would have done the river tubing instead.

MickeyKDMMtransp.gif

Triumph 7/01/00

Destiny 2/24/02

Destiny 2/02/03

Destiny 2/29/04

I have written the info e-mail for the tram several times with no response. Would love to do it but if they can't even answer an e-mail on prices and what times it is offered then they must not want my business.

Disney Magic 5/02

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;5;30;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Destiny =) 5/30/2004

This is the reponse I received from them.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in the Rainforest Aerial Tram – Dominica.

You stated that you would like to visit the tram on Tuesday May 5th, is it safe to say that you will be arriving on Carnival’s Destiny? If so, Destiny does offer the tour on board inclusive of transportation. You may wish to contact them for price and departure times as I am not aware of that information.

If you are not arriving on Destiny please let me know I will forward you more relevant information.

Once again thank you for your interest,

Regards

Nikima Royer

Reservation Manager

Rainforest Aerial Tram Ltd

767-448-8772

767-448-8740

E-mail: nroyer@rainforestrams.com

• 3 weeks later...

The arial tram cost thru carnival was $99 pp. A friend took it and thought it was great. just remember, you'll be at tree top level icon_biggrin.gif

To Sea, or not, to See.

Starward 81, Volendam 83, Oceanic 87, Majestic 93, Victory 2/10/02, Imagination 5/23/02, 1/30/03, Conquest 12/28/03, Destiny 04/11/04

Conquest New Years Cruise

http://community.webshots.com/user/crisp1028

The whale watching was a nice boat ride, beautiful views of the island & cute dolphins.

The operators told us they only see whales about once per week. You should also look up the migratory patterns before you book your tour. Like us, I think they winter in the Caribbean & go home to Alaska etc. in the summer. I am certainly no expert or marine biologist.

I think there's athread on the NCL board called Skip this Excursion -- you'll read the good & the bad.

Trish

• 3 months later...

The whale watching was the best part of a 14 day cruise last March on the Noordam. We had 14 whales stay with us for well over an hour. 9 of them came right to the boat and stayed for a long time (20 mins). A very small baby was right against the boat before diving under the boat. I have great videos and everyone here who has seen the videos is truly amazed as we were.

Vic

So, are y'all saying that the whales aren't around in October?? Sounds like maybe they've migrated north, but will return a bit later. This excursion sounds wonderful, but not if we won't get to see them play around and get a closer look.

• 3 weeks later...
The arial tram cost thru carnival was $99 pp. A friend took it and thought it was great. just remember, you'll be at tree top level icon_biggrin.gif

To Sea, or not, to See.

Starward 81, Volendam 83, Oceanic 87, Majestic 93, Victory 2/10/02, Imagination 5/23/02, 1/30/03, Conquest 12/28/03, Destiny 04/11/04

Conquest New Years Cruise

http://community.webshots.com/user/crisp1028[/quote]

If you book this tour on your own, it will only cost you $55 per adult and $30 per child. Under 2 years is free. You will have to find your own taxi though. http://www.natureisland.com/AerialTram.html#TOP

Carnival is gouging everyone for the excursions! I finally got smart and am booking them all myself this time around. Most have great cancellation and refund policies if the ship misses the port, etc.

I want to know about the aerial tram also. You can't book it on your own if you are on the Destiny. They have a contract with them.
This is not true. We will be on the Destiny on Sept. 5, 2004; and I have secured a deal with a private vendor for an Aerial Rain Forest Tour.

• 4 weeks later...

Princess is charging $109 for the tram tour. I do see that we can book ourselves for only $55 per person to save money. But.....we then have to pay a taxi to get there and it's a 30 minute drive, how much is the taxi? And....securing a taxi back to the port may not be that easy, do they hang around this site hoping to get a fare back? Anybody with any experience with this? Remember, it's one of the poorest islands in the Caribbean and they may price gouge themselves with the taxis, especially returning as you have no choice but to take them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We rode the tram and thought it was awesome. The pylons which support the cables are built in an F shape, as opposed to a T shape like a ski lift. So, on the trip out you go through the rain forest at mid level. Half way, you'll be given an option of getting off, and taking a short downhill walking trip on a nicely constructed trail which will take you across a three foot wide suspension bridge across a ravine with a river at the bottom, several hundred feet below. Bridge is new and all steel cables. Quite safe, but it does sway a little. Not for those afraid of heights.

Really good photo op's.

At the end of the trail your back at the halfway point and get back on the tram which then goes over the forest canopy on its return. The tram stops each time a tram is being loaded or unloaded at the start point so you will have lots of hang time during which the guide who is on every tram will explain what you are seeing and point out wildlife.

At the end which is also the beginning, you'll be offered a free drink, and there are clean restrooms and a souvenier stand and bar area.

You can do this trip on your own, and save big. Taxi's are right there at the pier to take you here, but the trip will cut into your savings. Can't tell you how much transport will cost as we did this as a ships tour. I can say that the scenery on the 30 min ride to the tram was worth the price of the trip. Your going from sea level to 3500 feet up in the mountains through beautiful valleys and your driver will stop for photo op's when practical on the narrow mountain road. Oh, take that poncho or raincoat ! We lucked out and did not get rained on, but it is a rainforest so be prepared. There were some mosquito's also but not bad. The tram is covered on the top with plastic, but it is narrow and it did not look to me like it would keep you very dry. It is much cooler up in the mountains so it was a pleasant temperature.

did the whale watching excursion last week when in dominica on volendam. $79 a person. Didn't see any whales. Did see 35 or so dolphins. Then had about 45 min for snorkeling. Was ok, but i wouldn't do it again. Will explore inland next trip there.

• 2 months later...

We were in Dominica on the Dawn Princess on Jan 23, and did the Rainforest Tram in the AM and the Whale watching in the PM. Both were great!

We had a family group of Sperm Whales lounging around the tour boat for an hour or so, and saw several other individuals as well. Amazing photographs, even with a compact digital. The best chance for whale sightings seems to be the winter months...

Hope this info helps!

Archived