UBP, when to buy?

gburtonin

I'm sure this info is out there but with search not working, I can't find it. When do taxes have to be paid for UBP? Should I buy ahead of time, on ship, or at check in?

Whereabouts are you cruising?

If its Europe buy in advance.

For others the reports are that NCL doesn't charge to UBP until out at sea, so no tax, so you can buy on the boat when you get on.

Whereabouts are you cruising?

If its Europe buy in advance.

For others the reports are that NCL doesn't charge to UBP until out at sea, so no tax, so you can buy on the boat when you get on.

Yes, I believe that tax is only an issue on all EU cruises like the Epic in the Med. I've not heard of people being charged tax on it out of Miami and I'm sure it would have been mentioned if they were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I believe that tax is only an issue on all EU cruises like the Epic in the Med. I've not heard of people being charged tax on it out of Miami and I'm sure it would have been mentioned if they were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its like the wine bottle package we used to get, they charge it after you buy it. We weren't charged for wine till our last night on the star.

There would be uproar if they also charged tax, and gratuity.

I'm sure your safe with getaway in Miami.

Its like the wine bottle package we used to get, they charge it after you buy it. We weren't charged for wine till our last night on the star.

There would be uproar if they also charged tax, and gratuity.

I'm sure your safe with getaway in Miami.

Well they DEFINITELY charge gratuity on UBP. I can't answer the OP's question specifically, but maybe someone from the US can answer about tax?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well they DEFINITELY charge gratuity on UBP. I can't answer the OP's question specifically, but maybe someone from the US can answer about tax?

I meant tax on top of gratuity.. sorry that wasn't clear... theres the 15% gratuity but there shouldn't be any tax as NCL usually put beverage packages through when out of port.

I meant tax on top of gratuity.. sorry that wasn't clear... theres the 15% gratuity but there shouldn't be any tax as NCL usually put beverage packages through when out of port.

Oh, duh. I think I just read it wrong. Makes sense.

Bought it on the BA in NYC about 5 minutes after we boarded ( 11:30 :) ) and NO taxes were charged.

Like the corkage fee it is charged to your account 2 or 3 days after you sailaway.

Run to the table to buy it, get the sticker and then have your welcome aboard drink free ;) ...well almost free

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Just so I understand, if I go onto myncl and add it to our account, we're not charged until we leave or would I have to pay for it today?

I don't think that it is orderable online (you'd need to call) but anything that you pre-purchase before the cruise (be it UBP, UDP, single speciality restaurant reservation, an excursion or any of the things in gifts section), it must be paid in advance with a credit card.

I don't think that it is orderable online (you'd need to call) but anything that you pre-purchase before the cruise (be it UBP, UDP, single speciality restaurant reservation, an excursion or any of the things in gifts section), it must be paid in advance with a credit card.

Ok got it. And I would of course assume that would have the tax associated with it. Thanks again for the clarification!

Ok got it. And I would of course assume that would have the tax associated with it.

No tax for pre-purchases to my understanding - of course you do have different tax regulations across different states but for what I've heard, there has been no tax added. At least we haven't had to pay any taxes on top of the prices (cover charges, excursions, etc) shown on their marketing materials.

Ok got it. And I would of course assume that would have the tax associated with it. Thanks again for the clarification!

We pre purchased the UBP for our cruise last Dec. Had to call to have it added to our account. It has to be paid for in advance, NO taxes paid, and when you board you just go to the table that is selling it (on the Jewel it was it the atrium by the coffee bar), they will check their list and put a sticker on your card and you are good to go.

10%, and that is only if you don't leave the EU, as discussed above.

Forgot it went up to 10%.

Other items are 21% if purchased on-board as that is the standard VAT rate now.

I think the restaurant cover charges are also 10%.

We pre purchased the UBP for our cruise last Dec. Had to call to have it added to our account. It has to be paid for in advance, NO taxes paid, and when you board you just go to the table that is selling it (on the Jewel it was it the atrium by the coffee bar), they will check their list and put a sticker on your card and you are good to go.

This must vary by ship. We purchased the UBP for our Dawn cruise last year & the sticker was on the card when we received it @ checked-in.

This post coincides with what I was sure I had read here before. If you call and purchase ahead of time: no taxes. If you buy once you have sailed: no taxes. If you buy when you get on board while the ship is still in port: you WILL pay taxes.

I wish the search function works, because I know that's been mentioned somewhere before in one of the billion UBP threads.

Edited by LrgPizza

This post coincides with what I was sure I had read here before. If you call and purchase ahead of time: no taxes. If you buy once you have sailed: no taxes. If you buy when you get on board while the ship is still in port: you WILL pay taxes.

I wish the search function works, because I know that's been mentioned somewhere before in one of the billion UBP threads.

Yeah - while I have no personal experience, I have read, rather extensively, that you should call ahead as it saves on the taxes (versus purchasing as soon as you get onboard). My dilemma is that I'd like to use OBC... I hadn't thought of waiting until it's in international waters though...

I wonder if it would "retroactively cover" any drinks I bought on the ship prior to buying UBP.