RJ145 carryon question

kjeanne2001

United just changed us to this plane for one of the legs of our flight. In researching it I read that carry-ones may have to be checked. Will they charge you to check your carryon? Do they check it at the gate? This is on our last leg home and the one with a 45 minute layover. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I hope it's a short leg. We flew this plane on Continental & even I found it rough riding, & I am only 5"6'.

The regular carry-ons will not fit in the cabin. If you have something you really need in flight you will want a small bag that will go under the seat.

Steve

I hope it's a short leg. We flew this plane on Continental & even I found it rough riding, & I am only 5"6'.

The regular carry-ons will not fit in the cabin. If you have something you really need in flight you will want a small bag that will go under the seat.

Steve

They're not great, but I don't mind them. Especially if you get the side with just one seat. I've done 2.5 hour legs on the ERJ-145s and they haven't been too bad.

Our first leg and final flight when flying from Marquette we must always check our "carry on" as it's a 50 seat plane with teeny overheads. Like others said, no fee. When we leave, we grab the bag when we get off the plane and are in the jetway. Because our home airport only has one plane arriving at a time whe. We arrive home, we pick up the "carry on" on the carousel.

Did have one flight last year where the plane was full and they offered to check carry ons for free, but we only had one and I was priority boarding so there was room to put our 1 carryon.

United just changed us to this plane for one of the legs of our flight. In researching it I read that carry-ones may have to be checked. Will they charge you to check your carryon? Do they check it at the gate? This is on our last leg home and the one with a 45 minute layover. Thanks in advance!

So it wasn't clear to me...

Is the RJ your last flight before you get home?

Or are you connecting from an RJ to another United flight?

gary

So it wasn't clear to me...

Is the RJ your last flight before you get home?

Or are you connecting from an RJ to another United flight?

gary

It is our final flight from Chicago to Charlotte, it's listed as a 1 hour 50 minute flight.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Normal carry on roller bags do not fit in the overhead of regional gets.

You will get a tag to put on the bag that says "Security Check" or something like that, it shows the bag went thru TSA screening.

On the Jetway you would leave your bag with others just as you enter the plane. Some Jetway have a cart built into the wall that lowers to the ground. Others they carry or send the bag down a chute.

If you are boarding the RJ from the ground there will be a cart you place the bag on.

When deplaning you have to wait for the cart or on the Jetway for them to bring you your bag. It will not be sent to where you retrieve checked bags like larger planes when they gate check a bag when the overhead is full.

FWIW

You will get a tag to put on the bag that says "Security Check" or something like that, it shows the bag went thru TSA screening.

On the Jetway you would leave your bag with others just as you enter the plane. Some Jetway have a cart built into the wall that lowers to the ground. Others they carry or send the bag down a chute.

If you are boarding the RJ from the ground there will be a cart you place the bag on.

When deplaning you have to wait for the cart or on the Jetway for them to bring you your bag. It will not be sent to where you retrieve checked bags like larger planes when they gate check a bag when the overhead is full.

FWIW

Huh? I must say that after what I can only assume is 150+ regional jet flights in the US, I have never had any tag like this on my bag. If you're checking the bag at the gate, it's given that you brought it through the security check.

It is our final flight from Chicago to Charlotte, it's listed as a 1 hour 50 minute flight.

That's not too long, even if it's a little cramped. From Manchester to (I think) Cleveland was longer than that & I got sore from getting bumped into the side of the plane.

Huh? I must say that after what I can only assume is 150+ regional jet flights in the US, I have never had any tag like this on my bag.

Me either. Why would TSA put a tag on your particular bag? :confused:

The people overseeing the luggage xray machine have no idea what type of plane each passenger is about to board and whether or not the bag will fit in that plane's overhead compartment. As Zach said, if you show up to the gate with your bag, it's assumed pretty clearly that you and the bag have been through security, so no need for a special tag that says so.

Me either. Why would TSA put a tag on your particular bag? :confused:

The people overseeing the luggage xray machine have no idea what type of plane each passenger is about to board and whether or not the bag will fit in that plane's overhead compartment. As Zach said, if you show up to the gate with your bag, it's assumed pretty clearly that you and the bag have been through security, so no need for a special tag that says so.

The tag is actually issued at the gate the flight departs from.

The tag is actually issued at the gate the flight departs from.

Yes, there is a tag that is given at the gate for gate-checked bags that indicates they are gate-checked bags. However, what we're saying is that we have never seen anything in the US that says it was a security-checked bag.

Huh? I must say that after what I can only assume is 150+ regional jet flights in the US, I have never had any tag like this on my bag. If you're checking the bag at the gate, it's given that you brought it through the security check.

I'm sorry, I forgot on CC if you don't have a post count you need to have proof on any comment you post. While I do not have Alaska Airlines tag that I just flew on a Q400 that did say "security screened" here are some examples of what I tried to explain.

gate1_zps3df397fd.jpg

gate2_zpsf55becaa.jpg

Pardon me for joining the thread.

The valet tag (2nd photo) which is put on at the gate, not at TSA, is what I've always seen Still can't recall seeing one that simply says it's been security screened and still can't see why that would be necessary; if it's airside, it's been screened. Obviously, such a tag does exist though, for who knows what reason.