White dinner jackets on a Cunard cruise black and white ball

Drunkensailor123

There is another way of looking at this. The "themed" Cunard Balls are essentially a form of fancy dress -- on the occasion of a Formal dress night. Therefore the normal convention of Gentlemen wearing black in Winter need not apply - they are 'Permitted" to wear black/white" as per the theme of the Ball.

Black and White polka dot Dinner Jacket anyone?? :)

Barry

As I have said OH will be in his cream/white/ivory tux when we are on Cunard.

I was under the impression we were in the 21st century....Maybe some of the people onboard are stuck in a 50's timewarp!!

We are not on about wearing jeans in the mdr, we are on about the colour of a jacket.

Should some poor soul confuse OH with a waiter, I think that will say so much more about them.

There does seem a little contradiction here. In an earlier post the comment was:

" I am still old fashioned and I follow the dress code of the "old days" "

Well I believe in the old days it was traditional not to wear a white DJ except in "warmer climes". Don't get me wrong I have a couple of white (well cream) DJ's and I enjoy wearing them but personally I would not do so unless it were more spring/summer conditions.

Dress codes have indeed evolved and one of the difficulties today is a definition of what formal attire actually means. More defined terminology such as "Black Tie" or "White Tie" are a help but even they get distorted. I certainly would not turn up at a Livery Company dinner in a white DJ but a cruise for many is a holiday and therefore I see no problem in a more liberal approach - even though some of us may deem it not quite correct.

And you think I read some obscure mag to find out how I and OH should dress.

We dress what we are comfortable in. We are smart.

Should be interesting when we board ..I will wait to be amazed by the sartorial elegance of everyone on board.

Unless horrors of horrors, we are just on a rather nice cruise ship and the other cruisers are normal and wear smart clothes , and don't read GQ (probably not even heard of it ) to know what colour jacket they should or should not wear.

you and your OH sound like you would be great table guests. my wife and i would be honored to sit with you.wear what you please...we do

This article was written by an American but it might assist somewhat.

Classic Warm-Weather Black Tie

The white jacket variation of black tie began in the early 1930s as a way for well-heeled vacationers to dress formally in the tropical heat without having to endure the heavy and dark-colored fabrics that were standard for evening wear at the time. While dinner suits have become much more lightweight since then, the light-colored jacket has remained a popular warm-weather alternative to its ebony progenitor.

However, without a proper understanding of its form and function, the white dinner jacket easily becomes a flashy gimmick. Subtlety and restraint are the keys to the successful execution of this classic variation.

Etiquette

The white dinner jacket's origin on cruises and at tropical resorts speaks to its specific role as a less formal alternative to traditional black tie. It is only appropriate at formal occasions in the tropics year round and in America during the summer season, typically at open-air social gatherings such as country club dances and yacht club parties.

While summer in the southern United States qualifies as being at least subtropical, the same cannot be said for the more temperate northern states and Canada. It is for this reason that numerous experts advise using discretion north of the Mason-Dixon line in order to avoid dressing for effect rather than for the occasion. Indeed, black-tie guests north of the 49th parallel would be wise to heed the example of their British cousins who do not consider the United Kingdom's temperate climate to be appropriate for white formal wear at any time of the year (with the notable exception of Last Night of the Proms).

And if a man is particularly serious about formal convention, a white jacket should never be worn in the city “unless one has a napkin over his arm or a saxophone up to his lips” as Esquire once put it.

Don't forget that the white jacket is an alternative, not a directive. The black jacket is perfectly acceptable in any season and any locale and actually trumps the formality of the white version.

All of you sartorial pedants should thank your lucky stars that you are not on board Queen Mary 2 at the moment.

I received an e-mail from a World Cruise passenger today informing me that the weather in Sydney was wet and depressing. She also commented that, with the new intake of passengers, the butlers were all very busy polishing flip-flops and pressing colourful T-shirts ready for the next formal night!

Puts the whole thing in perspective really.

Oh this is so my OH...It is black (sort of) and white (sort of) .I shall point it out to him.

Should anyone see this jacket wandering around, you will know who we are!!!!!

The white jacket variation of black tie began in the early 1930s as a way for well-heeled vacationers to dress formally in the tropical heat without having to endure the heavy and dark-colored fabrics that were standard for evening wear at the time. While dinner suits have become much more lightweight since then, the light-colored jacket has remained a popular warm-weather alternative to its ebony progenitor.

It is odd but my White DJ's are actually heavier than my black ones.

All of you sartorial pedants should thank your lucky stars that you are not on board Queen Mary 2 at the moment.

I received an e-mail from a World Cruise passenger today informing me that the weather in Sydney was wet and depressing. She also commented that, with the new intake of passengers, the butlers were all very busy polishing flip-flops and pressing colourful T-shirts ready for the next formal night!

I don't believe that any real Aussie would polish their thongs!!! They may give them a wash before the Formal night - but they would never polish them.

Barry

That's rather nasty.

And almost like it doesn't rain anywhere else.

The weather today in Brisbane was hot and sunny.

Edited by Pushka

I don't believe that any real Aussie would polish their thongs!!! They may give them a wash before the Formal night - but they would never polish them.

Barry

They say that Sir Les Patterson has joined the QM2 in Brisbane to give a lecture on cultural etiquette. Is that correct Barry?

For USA readers not familiar with Sir Les ... try Google.

with the world in such amess at this time- who cares a flying fig about the color of a dinner jacket.
Well for one the person who asked the question at the start of this thread. They obviously care or they would not have asked the question.

Or isnt this the correct place to ask questions.

The world has been a mess for a very long time. Sometimes worse than now.

Cheers.

Edited by sfb

Well for one the person who asked the question at the start of this thread. They obviously care or they would not have asked the question.

Or isnt this the correct place to ask questions.

The world has been a mess for a very long time. Sometimes worse than now.

Cheers.

THANK YOU for stating the obvious!

They say that Sir Les Patterson has joined the QM2 in Brisbane to give a lecture on cultural etiquette. Is that correct Barry?

The last time I spoke to Sir Les, he told me that he wouldn't be travelling on QM2 any more. Apparently, there are far too many Brits wearing off-white dinner jackets in their cold climate for his liking. I told him that he should go a bit easy on them - many are still mourning the loss of the Raj and will do almost anything to get some sense of self respect back - and besides, what with the weather in British waters, whenever would they get a chance to wear their off-white dinner jackets. To be fair, he should give them a fair suck of the saveloy!!!

Barry

Hi, I'm brand new to cruising and this site so if this is in the wrong place I apologise. Just a quick question, we are going on a cruise on the Queen Victoria in December around Europe. Can men wear white dinner jackets to the black and white ball, I know white jackets aren't correct form in the winter and non tropical climes and as it's our first cruise I didn't want to get it wrong, can anyone help ?

I am a casual type American. Nevertheless, I have been on many cruises and try to conform to cruiseline dress code policies. I'd like to clarify your questions a little, and maybe offer my opinionated answers.

First of all, you are definitely in the correct place. This is where questions related to cruising are welcome and this area in particular to Cunard. Now to the meat of the matter.

Your initial question words are "can men", implying "are men able to", phisically able to. (at least in the U.S.) Of course, the answer is yes. If you meant "may men", the answer gets a little trickier.

Asking the question on cruise critic might mean you are looking for the experienced Cunarders to answer. Or are you looking for Cunard's answer, as known by us Cruise Criticers.

Cunard written dress code policy does not specify color of DJ. The upper echelon of Cunard cruisers you've heard from here. Heaven forbid anything but black.

As far as most of the rest of us are concerned, you are not 'wrong' in any case. As far as those whose pinky fingers are pointed skyward, who cares what they think?

Did you imagine in your mind stares and giggles and finger pointing if yor wore your white DJ and you were wrong? Shame on the snobs if they do.

Have a great cruise! Everyone, have a great cruise! Let's all just look good when we clean up for dinner! Seriously!

Harvey

I realize my post is pointless and useless. But it was fun composing. My favorite post before mine was the flying fig post. Really, color of your dinner jacket? Wrong? C'mon, aren't you going on vacation?

Mack

You sound like my kind of bloke ! :)

Anyways - my understanding of the use of white Dinner Jackets onboard ships is that it is meant to emulate the custom of Naval ship's Officers wearing white Mess Dress in Tropical climates.

In my Naval time, it wasn't the weather which determined the wearing of White Mess Dress -- it was the Executive Officer ! :)

Barry

I am a casual type American. Nevertheless, I have been on many cruises and try to conform to cruiseline dress code policies. I'd like to clarify your questions a little, and maybe offer my opinionated answers.

First of all, you are definitely in the correct place. This is where questions related to cruising are welcome and this area in particular to Cunard. Now to the meat of the matter.

Your initial question words are "can men", implying "are men able to", phisically able to. (at least in the U.S.) Of course, the answer is yes. If you meant "may men", the answer gets a little trickier.

Asking the question on cruise critic might mean you are looking for the experienced Cunarders to answer. Or are you looking for Cunard's answer, as known by us Cruise Criticers.

Cunard written dress code policy does not specify color of DJ. The upper echelon of Cunard cruisers you've heard from here. Heaven forbid anything but black.

As far as most of the rest of us are concerned, you are not 'wrong' in any case. As far as those whose pinky fingers are pointed skyward, who cares what they think?

Did you imagine in your mind stares and giggles and finger pointing if yor wore your white DJ and you were wrong? Shame on the snobs if they do.

Have a great cruise! Everyone, have a great cruise! Let's all just look good when we clean up for dinner! Seriously!

Harvey

I realize my post is pointless and useless. But it was fun composing. My favorite post before mine was the flying fig post. Really, color of your dinner jacket? Wrong? C'mon, aren't you going on vacation?

well written and true