galveston taxes

boaterkeith

We cruised on the Triumph in January. After you went through customs and were exiting the area, there was a lady asking if you bought liquor and lived in Texas. She was directing people over to the side where they had a couple of people set up to take the taxes. There were only a couple of people in line when we left. We had not bought any because we were not sure it would be worth the hassel, but when we left it was not a big line at all.

If you got it through Bon Voyage then Lord knows you paid enough already..Not sure but that should not be considered duty free that you would be taxed on top of..Just drink it then no worries...:D

we bought some to have delivered to our cabin on day 2. We wont have to claim that will we (I mean if we happen to have any left:) )

We just got back on the Magic and as said already, there is a booth for collecting the tax as you walk toward the terminal door after customs. We didn't have any liquor, but it seems to be pretty much on the honor system. No one is checking your residency or checking your bags.

Texas residents are allowed to bring back one litre of alcohol per guest over the age of 21 duty-free. We've been asked and replied the one bottle limit and walked in under 60 seconds from the US Customs agent.

Edited by BallFour4

Texas residents are allowed to bring back one litre of alcohol per guest over the age of 21 duty-free. We've been asked and replied the one bottle limit and walked in under 60 seconds from the US Customs agent.

The discussion here pertains to the new enforcement of the TABC rule regarding collection of taxes on alcohol and tobacco now at the port of Galveston. They have been enforcing it at the land border crossings, but only started enforcing it in Galveston in January 2014. This is in addition to any questions asked by US Customs. No word yet on when they will start at the Port of Houston.

Edited by DebJ14

BallFour4

I believe the OP is asking about the taxes now being collected by the state of Texas, not U.S. Customs.

BallFour4

I believe the OP is asking about the taxes now being collected by the state of Texas, not U.S. Customs.

OK, we returned on 12/30, so the law was not in effect then.

One thing I noticed on this sailing is the sign posted above the liquor in the shops you pass through at the pier. They have a House Bill number whatever referenced saying Texas residents can bring back a gallon. Not true at the time of our sailing. It was what is now the old rules of one litre.

I missed the new state law going into effect. What's the duty/tax on a litre?

Side note: at embarkation the screener saw a bottle of wine in my backpack and said "wine? enjoy your cruise." Never a reference to have it checked. Our past cruises they shook water bottles like they were mixing Advocare.

Edited by BallFour4

Like one of the other posters we were recently off the Magic and I did not bring any bottles back because I did not wish to deal with another line after customs. However, Texas had two at the counter and no line to speak of. If I had known there would not have been a backup, I would have brought something back. I would have no issue with declaring it.

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/home/press_releases/2013/20131220.asp

Here's the rate table: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/tax_rates.asp

And if I read correctly it is a gallon now.

Haven't drank a gallon of booze total in three decades but this is interesting all the same.

Edited by BallFour4

We just got back on the Magic and as said already, there is a booth for collecting the tax as you walk toward the terminal door after customs. We didn't have any liquor, but it seems to be pretty much on the honor system. No one is checking your residency or checking your bags.

Exactly. You can just say no and walk out ;)

There was one lady asking and she was not with CBP

be careful the 1 gal limit they are discussing is the texas border limits (i.e. crossing the Mexico/Texas border. I beleive the US Customs duty free limits still apply

sailor_jimc

Texas has a hard limit of one gallon distilled spirits and all alcohol is taxed (from what I've read they place a Texas tax stamp over the top of the bottles). U.S. Customs doesn't have a hard limit. The first liter is duty free. Additional bottles are subject to duty, but whenever I've gone through Customs returning from a cruise they've always waived the duty.

Edited by errjordan