Live Blogging - Serenade of the Seas Feb 22nd, 2014

Thanks for taking time to blog your cruise! Do they offer self-disembarkation?

They do have self disembarkation. It started about 30 mins after we docked and had cleared the authorities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would you mind clarifying the airport shuttle for me? I'm doing Serenade in December and it will be my first time flying to a cruise. Is the airport shuttle something you arranged through RCI? If so, what is the cost and do I need to make reservations before I leave on the cruise or while I'm on the ship? Much thanks!

We booked through RCI and it was $20 per person. You are grouped by departure time to the airport. We have a 1:35 flight but we were on the 7:45 shuttle. Once we got through customs, we walked over to the buses. We waited maybe 10 mins for a new bus to pull up and they loaded our luggage and away we went. You need to make the reservation before you board and you must have your flight information to book the shuttle.

There were other shuttle options available but we have always booked through RCI. It makes it easier to know it's all covered.

We booked through RCI and it was $20 per person. You are grouped by departure time to the airport. We have a 1:35 flight but we were on the 7:45 shuttle. Once we got through customs, we walked over to the buses. We waited maybe 10 mins for a new bus to pull up and they loaded our luggage and away we went. You need to make the reservation before you board and you must have your flight information to book the shuttle.

There were other shuttle options available but we have always booked through RCI. It makes it easier to know it's all covered.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably book through RCI for the same reason, and $20 pp isn't much more than the regular cost of getting from the airport to the city from what I remember about traveling to NO.

Hope you have a safe, and easy, journey home.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably book through RCI for the same reason, and $20 pp isn't much more than the regular cost of getting from the airport to the city from what I remember about traveling to NO.

Hope you have a safe, and easy, journey home.

The taxi rates are fixed in NOLA. $14 per person from the airport to a hotel in New Orleans and $7 per person from the hotel to the pier.

Hi Karen! Hope you are doing okay...I see you are sailing soon, I bet you can't wait! I've never been on Serenade, but when you're onboard, keep an eye out for a waiter named Ivo. He's a friend of ours, from Bulgaria. Have a great cruise :)

We ended up getting Ivo in Chops and he was excellent.

This is a different question....Do you mind posting the exercise class schedule and pricing?

I could not find a full schedule with prices. The gym was open 24 hours a day though. Each Cruise Compass does have classes for the day in it but I could not find a consolidated schedule.

Thanks again for the live blog. I'm really enjoying reading and seeing all the photos you have posted. By any chance, could you post a photo of what the bathrooms and closet space looks like in the cabins? If not, no worries!

Thanks again!

I did not see this post until we are sitting in the airport, I apologize for not seeing it. I looked through our pictures and we didnt take any pictures of the closet or the bathroom.

The bathroom in our room was pretty tiny but typical. The shower was a standup shower with an adjustable shower head. There was only 1 side of the mirror to store toiletries and the counter space maybe had 6-8 inches from the wall.

The closet was descent in size. We had 10-12 hangers on each side of the closet and 8 shelves in the middle of the closet. The spacing between the shelves was probably 8-10 inches between each shelf. We took 3 suitcases and had plenty of space for all out clothes, shoes, etc.

The taxi rates are fixed in NOLA. $14 per person from the airport to a hotel in New Orleans and $7 per person from the hotel to the pier.

Sorry, on this cruise with you and just need to clarify this - the flat rate from the airport to hotel or pier and vice versa is $33.00 for up to 2 people; that is what we paid. Additional passengers are charged $14.00 each. The rates are posted in the cab and on sign boards at the airport. :)

Thank you for the live blog; we had a nice week too and are on for one more.

Sorry, on this cruise with you and just need to clarify this - the flat rate from the airport to hotel or pier and vice versa is $33.00 for up to 2 people; that is what we paid. Additional passengers are charged $14.00 each. The rates are posted in the cab and on sign boards at the airport. :)

Thank you for the live blog; we had a nice week too and are on for one more.

That is correct, I forgot about that, it was $33 for two, but more than 2 was $14 each. We had to take 2 taxis as we had 6 people and I forgot the $33 for two.

I could not find a full schedule with prices. The gym was open 24 hours a day though. Each Cruise Compass does have classes for the day in it but I could not find a consolidated schedule.

Thank you for checking! I have enjoyed your blog. Headed to the Serenade now!

We are officially off the boat. Customs was a breeze and we are waiting on the shuttle to the airport.

20140301_141324000_iOS.jpg?psid=1

20140301_141335000_iOS.jpg?psid=1

Thank you for taking time from your vacation to do this blog, we are sailing on her in April and are looking forward to sailing out of NO. I have a question regarding the departure, what time did they start letting off the 1st passengers other than self assist? We normally book an early afternoon flight however this time we are leaving at 10:45 and wonder if we will be cutting too close. We are diamond plus so we normally are off after the self assist and handicap but have never sailed out of NO.

Thanks again for the great information and food pics. We are officially on our countdown!!

We were group 2 and off by 7:50. I am not sure if we beat D+ plus but I can only assume they would have been ahead of us. It took us about 20 mins to get to the airport. Unless something happens out of your control, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make it by 10:45.

Thanks for taking your time to blog! We are boarding a week from today and I cannot wait! First time on this class ship! Your blog made me even MORE excited, if that is possible. Hope you had a safe journey home.

We were group 2 and off by 7:50. I am not sure if we beat D+ plus but I can only assume they would have been ahead of us. It took us about 20 mins to get to the airport. Unless something happens out of your control, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to make it by 10:45.

That's wonderful to hear!!! Thank you for replying, we are super excited. You have been so awesome to take all of us along on our virtual cruise with you!!! Thanks again!!!

Five more weeks and I'll be on this ship/cruise! Was there any problem getting taxis at the cruise port at all? We have an early flight (10:55 am). We'll do self debarkation. Sure wish there were more inside the ship photo's but you did a GREAT job on this blog! I have been on the Radiance a few times and can't wait to get on the Serenade and go down the MS river!

Five more weeks and I'll be on this ship/cruise! Was there any problem getting taxis at the cruise port at all? We have an early flight (10:55 am). We'll do self debarkation. Sure wish there were more inside the ship photo's but you did a GREAT job on this blog! I have been on the Radiance a few times and can't wait to get on the Serenade and go down the MS river!

I am going through the photos now and plan on posting more once I get them organized. We took close to 1500 pictures during the week and I only posted 78 of them on the blog :)

There were plenty of taxis outside the ship. I remember us making a comment about how many there were. They were lined up side by side about 12 deep before they wrapped around the building. You should have no problem getting a taxi as you leave the ship.

Did you sign up for the Mystery dinner while onboard? I tried finding it to book in advance but couldn't find it anywhere.

Yes, we signed up onboard. We could not sign up for several things before the cruise.

Do you know how much bingo cards were?

Did they show night time movies outside on the big screen under the star?

Thank you, really enjoyed your blog and pictures

When we were on her two weeks ago they did show a movie outside and was quite fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app