More changes at MSC UK - the ex-Carnival takeover continues....

Skipper Tim

At least Carnival UK operated ships from UK?

Strange appointments - I confess I don't like the way MSC under GH is going but probably just me.

Annie

It is not just you. No solo cruiser likes higher solo supplements and no one likes drastically higher fares in general. The 'loss-leading' phase of MSC UK appears to have rather abruptly transitioned to the 'milk-em' phase with a corresponding disjoint of existing customers' noses.

After the next cruise, it looks like I will be giving MSC a wide berth until they seriously woo me.

It is not just you. No solo cruiser likes higher solo supplements and no one likes drastically higher fares in general. The 'loss-leading' phase of MSC UK appears to have rather abruptly transitioned to the 'milk-em' phase with a corresponding disjoint of existing customers' noses.

After the next cruise, it looks like I will be giving MSC a wide berth until they seriously woo me.

As a result of the new pricing policy, I apply my opportunity cost formula to any potential bookings.

Annie

Would you care to share this wisdom?

Wisdom not sure about that :)

I am hooked on travelling and came to cruising fairly late but I am definitely not hooked on cruising.

We all have our bucket lists - which I grade.

I look at various holiday options which hopefully will include as many of my bucket list at a reasonable price.

I had a B2 balcony cabin on the Orchestra Oz cruise - I released it because the only unvisited port which was on my bucket list was Sydney - all that money for Sydney.

So I will combine a land trip to Sydney with another bucket list Australian Tennis Open visit with a cruise to NZ ( another bucket list) for less dosh.

The balance of money that the Oz trip could cost me will pay for a short trip to Peru - result.

Opportunity cost.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

I'm probably doing something similar to you Aniie. Trying to work out a 3 week trip that will let me revisit Sydney, cairns and Townsville but incorporate 2 new places from my bucket list Hong Kong (easy as a stopover) and Fiji (proving a challenge, but I shall persevere!) failing that I can always pick off another Far East stopover like Kuala Lumpur.

No idea if this appointment is good news or bad yet. Carnival's Costa brand have reasonable proces for UK pax including solos. Would hate to see MSC go the way of carnival though. At least they're not going to start using Joe Farcus to design their ships (thankfully).

I too don't like the way things seem to be panning out under GH. Can't think of anything he's improved. It's bad enough prices are rising and solos rates not as good but what really hacks me off is the rationing of solo places on various cruises or cabin categories to the point that there is availability but they still won't accept your money, even with a 100% supplement.

Then there was the website they were going to improve.........

Edited by AmoMondo

Wisdom not sure about that :)

I am hooked on travelling and came to cruising fairly late but I am definitely not hooked on cruising.

We all have our bucket lists - which I grade.

I look at various holiday options which hopefully will include as many of my bucket list at a reasonable price.

I had a B2 balcony cabin on the Orchestra Oz cruise - I released it because the only unvisited port which was on my bucket list Sydney - all that money for Sydney.

So I will combine a land trip to Sydney with another bucket list Australian Tennis Open visit with a cruise to NZ ( another bucket list) for less dosh.

Opportunity cost.

Annie

I like cruising because of the hotel experience which is often not available in hotels these days. I make the most of the ship from my own perspective. I am not all that concerned about getting off the ship or seeing the sights I should see. I have already seen more than I could possibly remember.

My travel revelation came when I took possession of a house in the most beautiful place in the World I had ever been. None of my friends were there and it was a shocking, saddening experience to have achieved what I had always hoped for, to appreciate the accomplishment and the grotesque failure simultaneously.

Good company is always my travel goal now. Still, when I know ten people with the same birthday as me, it means I know around 3650 people well enough to know their birthdays.....

Plod on, plod on and appreciate....

I like cruising because of the hotel experience which is often not available in hotels these days. I make the most of the ship from my own perspective. I am not all that concerned about getting off the ship or seeing the sights I should see. I have already seen more than I could possibly remember.

My travel revelation came when I took possession of a house in the most beautiful place in the World I had ever been. None of my friends were there and it was a shocking, saddening experience to have achieved what I had always hoped for, to appreciate the accomplishment and the grotesque failure simultaneously.

Good company is always my travel goal now. Still, when I know ten people with the same birthday as me, it means I know around 3650 people well enough to know their birthdays.....

Plod on, plod on and appreciate....

The cruise ship is never the destination for me. On my last Lirica cruise, I actually got bored. For me entertainment is more important than food and let's be honest entertainment is not MSC's strongpoint. BTW I play several classical music instruments. Issue for me was too many Brits on board.

Last year I combined a solo land trip to Brazil and Argentina before sailing back to the UK on the Musica.

The Argentinian sector in particular was outstanding and the people I met were amongst some of the most memorable I have met in all my years of travelling. Go with the flow and you will be surprised.

At the end of the month, I will combine some touring in SA before I cruise back to Europe on the Sinfonia.

I had booked two small group tours with a modest (15% solo supplement) and I have been advised that this will now operate as a private tour at no additional cost. How will I cope with my own vehicle on safari. MSC could learn a thing or two from this company.

Did I pick up correctly from your Armonia Roll Call that MSC wish to downgrade a solo from a balcony ? That is the last straw.

I think MSC has jettisoned solo friendly policy in favour of the family unit.

I have just checked the MSC UK website and none of the cabins are available for solo occupancy.

If my memory serves me correctly, the pre-discount solo price for a B2 was approx. £155 pn - heck I can sail solo in a Celebrity concierge balcony for less.

I cannot remember how long the P&O disastrous Vantage and Getaway debacle lasted - how long will we give GH??

Annie

The New Britannia for P an O will have Single only cabins but no idea of their pricing as yet, having never sailed with them myself this ship may well become a favourite for the single travelers.

Sailing on a P&O ship ex SOTON on the same old boring itineraries is my idea of cruising hell.

BTW for those interested there will be 15 solo balcony cabins and 12 solo inside cabins. Approx 1800 cabins in total - so approx. 1.5% of cabins.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

annie ... I agree they need some New itinerary`s but the Solo Balconies sound good. Though i have to wonder if they have some of the info wrong ?

Single Balcony

Fully air-conditioned balcony cabins enjoy two lower beds convertible to king-size bed. Bathrooms boast a bath with shower or shower, sink, and WC. Additionally there is an iron & ironing board, trouser press and a hairdryer.

There is a sitting area with sofa, chair and table, two flat screen interactive TVs, plus radio and telephone, writing desk, refrigerator and tea/coffee making facilities. There is also a safe. Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors lead to your balcony with recliner chairs and table.

Balcony cabins have an atlas and binoculars, plus mineral water and luxurious pamper pack on arrival.

Interesting discussion! November 1-9, 2013 I cruised onboard "MSC Armonia" - by my own in a suite - on the re-positioning cruise from Venice to Las Palmas.

Had a really great time. Loved the many sea-days. Met a lot of nice people (there were many passengers from UK and Germany). I found the atmosphere to be much more relaxed than on a regular 1 week cruise.

Would really love to go on more re-positioning cruises...with many days onboard. However, my wife is not keen at all. But have no problems going by my own.

The reason for MSC to dismiss single passengers is - I would say -that the company needs a higher revenue to finance all their investments in new ships (as well as the lengthening of the four Lirica-class ships). I understand that it is a better deal for the company to get paid from two (or more) passengers in one cabin than only one single passenger.

But what MSC will gain on the one side, they will lose on the other side.

Edited by Frode

The New Britannia for P an O will have Single only cabins but no idea of their pricing as yet, having never sailed with them myself this ship may well become a favourite for the single travelers.

NCL and RCL also have some singles cabins.

annie ... I agree they need some New itinerary`s but the Solo Balconies sound good. Though i have to wonder if they have some of the info wrong ?

Single Balcony

Fully air-conditioned balcony cabins enjoy two lower beds convertible to king-size bed. Bathrooms boast a bath with shower or shower, sink, and WC. Additionally there is an iron & ironing board, trouser press and a hairdryer.

There is a sitting area with sofa, chair and table, two flat screen interactive TVs, plus radio and telephone, writing desk, refrigerator and tea/coffee making facilities. There is also a safe. Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors lead to your balcony with recliner chairs and table.

Balcony cabins have an atlas and binoculars, plus mineral water and luxurious pamper pack on arrival.

I agree sounds good but still would not tempt me....... Land of Hope and Glory sailaways - each to their own.

Annie

I agree sounds good but still would not tempt me....... Land of Hope and Glory sailaways - each to their own.

Annie

I had a lovely 'Land of Hope and Glory sail away' on the QE2. I felt like a stowaway just crossing the Atlantic on the start of her World cruise that year. It was the 3rd of January 2006 and the Salvation Army were playing through the thick fog from the quayside at Southampton. It wasn't Land of Hope and Glory but something much more jolly and uplifting while we swigged our contraband on deck.

DSC00810.jpg

Yes inside cabins only.

Celebrity will sell me a balcony at a supplement. However MSC will not.

Annie

Previously I'd have disagreed with you as I've often had balconies and suites solo, sometimes without a supplement and others with a supplement. However they've definitely changed their tack. There are a few sailings available but they are few and far between and you really have to search for them. I don't want my choice to be down to which cruise they'll deign to take my money but to be on the incinerate and time I want to go.

I've already decided against any more cruises this year. I'll see what the position is next year, but of they continue to pursue this policy, I'll be looking at other lines seriously. I already know I can have pretty much a similar experience with Costa.

I received an E mail yesterday from MSC that offered a Two night cruise for £329 in a Balcony ! why would anyone pay that when they can get a Seven night cruise for not much more.

The stupidity of cruise lines and their pricing in the UK really is astounding.

I wonder if the MSC UK strategy is to ditch the existing customer base and start again? Certainly there is a huge amount of alienation being voiced.

Like Amo, I have abandoned plans for another cruise this year. Those were plans involving a minimum of five people. That is business lost.

Royal Caribbean have just released their Summer 2015 season, before MSC have released their cruises for later this year. i would have preferred MSC or Cunard but I am a tart when it comes to pricing and Royal Caribbean have a couple of repositioning cruises not involving the U.S. to consider next Spring.

I wonder how MSC sales are doing in the UK. GH was promoted before he had time even to visit the lavatory. I hope his pay-off deal is sweet.

I received an E mail yesterday from MSC that offered a Two night cruise for £329 in a Balcony ! why would anyone pay that when they can get a Seven night cruise for not much more.

The stupidity of cruise lines and their pricing in the UK really is astounding.

You think that is high - check out the solo pricing :)

Annie

Tim ... P and O have the Britannia itineraries for the 2016 season out and the ship is still being built, MSC as you say appear to be alienating passengers while failing to put out future cruise dates.

Annie ... just went off the email and the pp price for two in a balcony.

Tim ... P and O have the Britannia itineraries for the 2016 season out and the ship is still being built, MSC as you say appear to be alienating passengers while failing to put out future cruise dates.

Annie ... just went off the email and the pp price for two in a balcony.

They apparently have just released 1 night prices :)

Two weeks ago I think I posted the solo balcony price for 2 nights was in excess of £600.

I don't think they understand marketing or Europe has told the UK office to increase profitability pronto.

Do children still sail for free ?? and the solos paying for it??

Annie