How to insure for a NZ/AUS 2015 cruise

Alaskanb

I am a little confused about how much I should insure for this trip:

Trip cost --is this just the cost of the cruise or should I include air fare (I don't include the air fare when we go to Europe. The only time I have ever used a TA she did not include the airfare but I do not remember the reason why.)

Medical --DH and I will both be on medicare and have BCBS. Ages 65 and 73.

Medical Evac

Repatriation

How do you factor in the travel insurance components from credit cards such as our United Explorer?

Thanks --feeling a little lost on this one.

I would presume that pre-existing conditions are on the table? Medications to help control some health issue?

If that is the case, many (if not all) of the travel insurance providers "require" you to cover ALL non refundable expenses on their policy or they can decline pre-existing coverage when the claim comes in.

So in your case, unless you purchase the more expensive fully refundable airfare, they "could" deny any claims that would normally be covered for a pre-existing medical condition if you did not cover the airfare in the policy.

There's a good chance you didn't drive to NZ/AUS. :D

You could still get a policy that is secondary for medical. IOW you would have to file a claim with your primary first,,,, wait for them to officialy deny the claim,,,, then refile the claim with proof of denial to your travel insurance provider,,,, then wait some more for them to determine if the claim is covered,,,,, then issue a check for reimbursement.

If any of this is incorrect or not stated clearly enough,,,, I'm sure there will be experts after my post to help clarify.

If that is the case, many (if not all) of the travel insurance providers "require" you to cover ALL non refundable expenses on their policy or they can decline pre-existing coverage when the claim comes in.

So in your case, unless you purchase the more expensive fully refundable airfare, they "could" deny any claims that would normally be covered for a pre-existing medical condition if you did not cover the airfare in the policy.

Don't understand this? I would not be claiming for any airfare or tour costs.

Don't understand this? I would not be claiming for any airfare or tour costs.

Spoke with TravelGuard today and yes they require you to include airfare in your costs otherwise you lose the pre-existing conditions exemption. With our current cruise I had already enough coverage for the airfares and can add the extra cost of the additional costs once we do final payment.

According to SquareMouth if we use TravelSafe for our next trip they do not require us to include the airfare but I will certainly double check that. :confused: