Down side of a cruise after dry dock

Teekkanie

Hello,

I am booked for Magic 3/22/15 right after she comes out of dry-dock. Is there a down side of that first cruise right after dry dock. What to expect on that first cruise. Any info would be great!

Haven't experience it myself but have read where there might still be a little work going on that didn't get finished in drydock.

Hopefully that won't be your case.......if it is I'm sure it will be minimal....

Have a great cruise!!!

Hello,

I am booked for Magic 3/22/15 right after she comes out of dry-dock. Is there a down side of that first cruise right after dry dock. What to expect on that first cruise. Any info would be great!

Unfinished work

Contractors on board

Crew is not use to working together.

Others will add to the list.

In the current case of the Legend, it sounds like the BIGGEST disappointment, especially those with kids, is that Waterworks is not complete and may not be for weeks. Granted, they still have pools, hot tubs, etc. but I know many were looking forward to that feature being done.

This is in addition to everything stated above. I would want to wait at least 3-4 weeks after.....

Even as long as the Destiny-Sunshine transformation took, looks like they are still ironing out some kinks:rolleyes:

One of the cruises we are looking at is an 8day on the Freedom at the end of May, or the end of June. I feel confident that it should all be done by then. IT BETTER BE!!!!!:D:D:D

In the current case of the Legend, it sounds like the BIGGEST disappointment, especially those with kids, is that Waterworks is not complete and may not be for weeks. Granted, they still have pools, hot tubs, etc. but I know many were looking forward to that feature being done.

This is in addition to everything stated above. I would want to wait at least 3-4 weeks after.....

Even as long as the Destiny-Sunshine transformation took, looks like they are still ironing out some kinks:rolleyes:

One of the cruises we are looking at is an 8day on the Freedom at the end of May, or the end of June. I feel confident that it should all be done by then. IT BETTER BE!!!!!:D:D:D

I understand the same thing happened on the Spirit, and was under repair with cordoned off areas while it made the trek down to Australia.

Hello,

...We've always been told the same thing as the others have said. ANY ship from ANY cruiseline that comes out of drydock can have these problems. There are contractors on board that are finishing up some of the detail work. Plumbing and electrical work can sometimes run past deadlines.

...I can deal with that, but i think personally it would be more of a problem for me knowing that the crew is not used to working together. Would probably make the Dining Room a little slow. We usually won't look at a sailing from any cruise line that is just 1-3 weeks after drydock.

I recall that, as well, Phylbice.

To me, it's just worth waiting a few extra weeks to ensure it's ALL done.

I don't think I'd enjoy lying out on the Lido deck, listening to drills, saws, etc.

Ehhhhhhhhh, who am I kidding??? I'd make the most of it.:D

lol

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

We are booked on the same cruise so I am a little nervous about that too. I can't change the date because it's our spring break week and they don't let teachers cruise on school days:D. I sorta wish I had looked at NCL or Royal Caribbean. :rolleyes:

I booked the Miracle for spring break 2015 and learned that it was going to be the first sailing after a major drydock. I cancelled it and am now going to be on NCL for the first time ever.

That was smart. We caught ourselves on the first sailing after dry dock once. Never again!

That was smart. We caught ourselves on the first sailing after dry dock once. Never again!

The thing that bugs me just a little bit is that I think they should tell you if the ship is coming off of a dry dock when you book it because it is common to have work ongoing for at least the first cruise or 2 after, if not more.

We were on the 2/23 sailing of the Legend and the waterworks was complete and the Green Thunder slide was working just fine...the only work I saw being done was on the very upper decks were they were repairing or replacing some of the decking...they did have a big metal cargo box container on the upper deck...I'm thinking it was 10 or 11 but didn't hinder our enjoyment of the cruise at all..

I wonder too about maiden voyages for new construction transatlantic. Wonder how many contractors are on those...

I know with it being new is why price is cheaper, but still...hmmmm

I have a voyage I am looking at out of London to USA...but am leary of new ships/drydock releases and being the guiney pig...

Way back we did Imagination post dry-dock. I was so excited for the new deli, and Mongolian wok ( yep going way back). Well it was not opened on our cruise. The cruise after us got to try it we did not. :(