Super Star Virgo

little poppett

Paul, Star Cruises is notorious for making last minute changes cutting it down to the wire. One instance is when brochures were printed, distributed to agents and bookings accepted and just as the ship was ready to leave for a new homeport, everything was canceled and new itineraries and schedules were announced. Star is always later than other cruise lines in announcing deployments , itineraries and schedules in anticipation that changes will be made.

While I applaud Star Cruises for their braveness and boldness for making sudden changes when they find that a certain market will not work as well as another it is disconcerting and confusing for booked and future passengers. Star will also frequently change ports of call, or even cancel and substitute another port while the ship is currently sailing. Markets and local preferences change very quickly here in Asia. While one season may have had good bookings for overnight high seas cruises, next years’ season may prove that these overnight cruises are not what the passengers want. Therefore changes will be made and substitutes put in place. This has just recently happened here in Taiwan with SuperStar Libra.

While we may not be privy to the behind the scenes thinking at Star Cruises, they know exactly what they are doing, and make sudden changes when and where they feel it is necessary.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the info.

I am hoping to do a 5 day Straights of Malacca cruise out of Singapore in Dec 09. I am somewhat flexible but not too much so. I am connecting to an Oceania cruise from Singapore to Sydney on Dec 20th; in addition by this coming January I HAVE to get my tickets to Singapore as I am flying for miles (have to get them 330 days out to have a chance).

What are the chances that the Star's itinerary for Dec 09 will be out by Jan 09?

Assuming that I will book with Star cruises the cruise I want and then they change/cancel it, do I get my deposit back (i.e. is it similar to US cruises where you get your full deposit back until final payment is made)?

What happens if they change/cancel it "last minute" (one to two months before sailing) after I made the final payment?

Thanks,

Paul

did the free and easy on the shuttle bus in sanya,you are taken to the beach for a picture oppotunity then on to the drop off point which is a large shopping centre not very ethnic,acroos the road you will find various local shops,go down the alley way across the road and to the right and you will find the fruit and veg and wet market in the building on your right if you are sqeamish or don't have a strong stomach don't go in!!

really enjoyed the cruise can't understand people who say they couldn't spend their obc as we had a couple of drinks a night ate in the added value restarants a couple of times and went well over

on the boat in the inclusive restaurants you will be asked at breakfast say if you require freshly squeezed orange it is an added extra and is chargable,on the gala dinner we ate in samuri and really enjoyed it you are asked if you want coffee at the end again chargeable against your on board credit (if you are balcony class),your told it can only be used for food and bevarage but we used it for trips and for the salon.despite star telling us in writing we needed a visa for sanya and xiamen the visa wasn't stamped at sanya even though we we were free and easy,we did the halong bay long cruise,that visits surprise cave there is a climb of approx 100 steps so its not suitable for the infirm my wife is asmatic and she managed it taking her time,the climb is worth it.in xiamen we again did free and easy. your dropped at the top of the main shopping street,walking all the way down to the bottom to the waters edge (about 15 mins) brings you to the island which the organised trips visit,the ferry across is very cheap and easy to get on you pay coming back,the water park excursion is also on the island.

Junior Suite on VIRGO ideal for Honeymooners. It is huge you will get lost .

On entry wood panelled dining area with table / 4 chairs , full bar and fridge, opens into lounge area with sofa bed and armchairs telly, opens onto the outdoor balcony . This area has double doors separating from next expanse of toilet, shower and jacuzzi all overlooking ocean with twin marble handbasins . Curtains separate this area from a king size bedroom . Cabin category AD on Deck 10 Port and Starboard sides - forward . Personal cabin steward, champagne on boarding, daily fruit basket . Food & beverage bar credit on most cruises for this category . Access to upper level seating in the Lido showroom . Go for it .

Hi all:)

Great to see the thread going strong

Junior suite and HK here we come:D

Will report back in a couple of weeks.

Any questions please post.

Regards;)

Simon

Have a great time, Simon. We'll be right behind you - LOL ;)

Hopefully we won't encounter any of the recent spate of storms and typhoons in the area (apparently the return of one of the recent Virgo cruises was delayed until the following day - good for the ones onboard, not so for the ones to follow who had a day less :eek: )

we looked into the junior sweet on our deck and it was huge and luxurios,enjoy.we were on the cruise just before the typhoon,(we were in macau when it hit force 8) so we were lucky.the boat has more staff per customer than any other boat and it shows and as non asian you will find the staff give you extra attention,the staff will always greet you every time you pass (I don't think they appreciate the condescending manner of some chinese and japanese).if you enjoy your holiday 1/2 as much as us you will have a ball of a time.

we missed the bremman, show sports unlimited and the magician in the theatre (not in galaxy) were superb,word of caution the las vegas review (costs extra) is more amsterdam than las vegas (very suggestive and topless) the mainly chinese audience sat there stunned without clapping at the end.

Hello everyone!

Just returned from our 05 Oct. VIRGO cruise. :)

Well, what can I say? -I am one happy and satisfied guest.:cool:

An addict is born...hehe

Being a "cruise virgin" prior to this sailing, I finally know what makes you cruise addicts come back for more. In fact, this early, I am looking at the26 Nov. Singapore-KL VIRGO sailing.

For those who will be sailing via VIRGO in HK before it moves to SINGAPORE, I am more than willing to address your queries.

As for now, I am back to the daily grind. Still in denial. But the thought of being able to sail again if only I work harder is enough motivation.

Cheers!

Hi PAULCHILI!

To tell quite frankly, food in Virgo was too spicy for our taste.

We tried all the "inclusive" restaurants and on hindsight, it was the MEDITERRANEAN buffet on Deck 12 that got our vote most of the time. Maybe because of the variety and the "familiarity" of the food they served.

We got to try the SAMURAI too and it was a lot better than those inclusive ones.

If you plan to go to cruising vi VIRGO by December, you would have to catch her in Singapore instead.

Hope that helps.

Reply should you have more queries.

Hi THE PUNKS,

thanks for your reply. I love chinese food and I am hoping that their chinese food in both the Pavilion room (included) and the Noble house (extra) will be good. As the Pavilion room is described as "family style dining", does it have large tables only or do they have smaller tables as well (for 2 ot 4 people)?

We will be cruising from Singapore.

Hi Paulchili!

I think we have tried PAVILLION once.

I also love chinese food but I guess I refer to the chinese food being served in western restaurants. hehe

My verdict on the PAVILLION: too chinesey for my taste. hehe

But based from your post, I think you love chinese food (authentic) so PAVILLION may be your best bet.

And oh, don't worry about the tables. They have all sizes.:)

I guess when they refer to it as "family oriented", they meant children may be roaming around and may cause a little noise as compared to Bella Vista wherein children are not allowed beginning 10pm or at anytime during the GALA NIGHT (Captain's Dinner).

So, you will be doing VIRGO in SINGAPORE! Must be exciting.

My Mom (who was not able to go with us last time) is giving me hints that she'd want to experience cruising too...

Who knows, we just might be on the same sailing date!

Oh well, I pity my bank account...:o :D

Best regards!

Hi, has anyone been in the Junior suite? Would you recommend it for honeymooners?

Thanx

Was today searching for something else in this thread and found that Simon (Jamin) posted some pictures - look up post #612 (June 2007)

Archived