Another Royal review - 2/2/14

NewPennCruiser

The review was great, maybe because it was from a fellow 'yinzer' We're sailing in 3 weeks (my daughters surprised me with the cruise for my 50th birthday! Yay for me!) We're so excited as this is our first cruise and some of the reviews weren't so great so we were getting worried...your review has now put our minds at ease and now are even more excited and we are so looking forward to this trip. I can't wait to get on board and check it all out! Can't wait to get out of the 'burgh and dive into those clear, blue Caribbean waters!

Congrats on your big day and winter has been pretty brutal around here hasn't it? I remember thinking when we cruised a few weeks ago that on the first day I just walked out on deck in the morning with my coffee and let the sun soak in and thought how nice it was that I didn't see snow and it was 80 degrees. I would just suggest that you do your research and as many others here will also say, read the reviews with a grain of salt, even the ultra positive ones. 3,600 passengers on a ship will have 3,600 differing opinions so pull out information that means something to you and go into the cruise with an open mind ready for an adventure. Don't sweat the small stuff, relax and soak in your surroundings. For 7 days, winter in the Burgh will be a distant memory and I think you and your family will have a great vacation. Dave

Trident grill is basically the place to get burgers, fries, hot dogs, brats, BBQ, etc. Prego is the traditional Princess pizza and Mermaids Tail in a bar. All are complimentary dining options, well of course except for the bar. :)

Thanks! Everything I need right near our cabin! :)

Thanks for your review. We are booked on the Fort Lauderdale to St Petersburg cruise in April and I was getting a bit nervous about it after all the negative reviews. I've decided that it is what it is and a positive attitude will make a good holiday great.

Thanks

BB

Thanks so much for your time to do this excellent and detailed review!

Very helpful since we haven't cruised on the new Royal Princess yet.

Appreciate your tip on "Sea Watch Bar". So you liked it better than Crooner's which is where we hang out on most Princess ships?

LuLu

~~~~

We were also on the Royal 2/2 and enjoy the Crooner's on all the Princess ships we sailed. The Crooner's was off to the side near the center elevators and stairs to the Piazza. I liked the Crooner's location better on the other Grand ships.

We were also on the Royal 2/2 and enjoy the Crooner's on all the Princess ships we sailed. The Crooner's was off to the side near the center elevators and stairs to the Piazza. I liked the Crooner's location better on the other Grand ships.

Good point and I definitely noticed a difference with how Crooners was used on Royal vs the Grand Class ships. On the Grand Class ships it seems like Crooners is the main destination for entertainment in the Atrium/Piazza and aside from maybe a pianist or some light entertainment, there isn't much happening in the Atrium. On Royal, it seems like the Piazza is the focus and Crooners just happens to be part of it. At least on our sailing it seemed that most of the entertainment was featured on the piazza stage and maybe late in the evening there was something going on in Crooners. Because the area is so open you really can't have entertainment going on in multiple locations at once and with the Royal, they are ultimately featuring the piazza as a complete destination.

I also kind of thought the Crooners Bar seemed to be an afterthought because as you mentioned it's in the corner near the stairs and elevators, not out where it would make more sense where you might sit and have a drink and still enjoy what might be going on around the piazza. The rest of the seating is nice and expansive, but I agree they definitely could have done a better job designing the space. I can honestly say we didn't spend any time there except to maybe walk through heading somewhere else or to get to the doors that take you out onto the side promenade porch.

Thanks Dave for a very useful review. We're booked for March 2nd and are very excited. My husband retires Feb 28th and this is our celebration trip!! Your previous experiences and your very fair, impartial explanations really put my mind at ease. Can't wait for a wonderful experience!