Getting to the pier via Amtrak

CTCruiser001

On stations WITHOUT checked baggage, as ours was---

Our train was the double decker type with a corral type area on the first floor of the sleeper car to put large luggage.

We put 3 there and each had a carry-on.

No one counted, weighed or cared in our case.

The corral did get way packed, people moving your things anywhere.

It was fine, but we did check on the area and re-locate ours a few times.

The sleeper attendant said they do not have theft issues generally on these type of cars as only sleeper passengers are on them.

We took Amtrak from Penn Station one way to Miami in a mini-sleeper and loved it. The "cabin" was pretty tiny, with two seats that faced each other and a small table to that lifted up and locked in place. The toilet/end table was hilarious and we took it in stride. The food was serviceable, but please don't expect anything remotely gourmet. A lot of it was heat-and-serve. The attendant was great, very friendly, really worked to make sure we and everyone else in his section were comfortable and had what we needed. The sleeping arrangements (bunk beds) made for an interesting night. Wouldn't say the beds were too comfortable, but we both did sleep with no problem. Incidentally, I'm 6'4" and fit on the upper bunk with no issues.

We loved it so much, we then did a round trip NYC/Fort Lauderdale in a similar cabin a year or two later. Same experience and we enjoyed it. So much so, we're talking about doing it again in the next year or so.

As long as you go in with realistic expectations (tight quarters, mediocre food, "interesting" bathroom arrangements), you'll enjoy it. Both of our trips were memorable, fun, relaxing and we'd do it again in a heart beat.

Edited by RickinNYC

That's entirely your opinion. I put the food on par as what you'd get on an airplane. They have limited cooking capabilities and I thought it showed. I certainly didn't think anything was disgusting, but I wasn't walking away with any "wow" factor. We all finished our meals with more of a "it was food and it filled our stomachs" feeling. We all have opinions and are entitled to them.

To the OP, I forgot to mention that on our second trip, while my partner and I were in a "roommette", my Mom joined us and had a full room. Much larger in size, with a couch that easily seated two (converted into a bed at night), with a chair off to one corner. Very comfortable for the three of us to relax in when we "visited" her down the hall. The shower/toilet was in a fully enclosed small room which allowed privacy.

Admittedly, that room was much more expensive, but it was worth it.

OP here:

I want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences with Amtrak...It is great to get an understanding of what to expect if we decide to go forward with it.

I am 99% leading towards doing a rail trip, but not sure if I want to take that extra day from work yet...(the Friday before our Sunday sailing). It is something I will have to decide soon.

Keep sharing your thoughts as they are greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Doing Amtrak is a great Vacation if you have a Bedroom and yes it is much more expensive but a great experience. You just can't have high expectations. Just relax and let it flow. I have met many Cruisers on Amtak traveling to a Cruise and it is fun to talk with them. The Coast Starlight is the best because they have the Parlor Car with big plushie Chairs and an Attendent and Bar and they have a "Wine and Cheese" tasting at three in the Dining car and they have a movie Theatre below the Parlor Car. Saw "Gatsby" last September. Then in Seattle stayed at the Marriott which is across the Street from Pier "66" NCL's..the Bellboy walks you across the street and gives your Luggage to the Porter. So easy!!!

For us, the train is part of the vacation. Not just a means to get there. We will be doing the Coast Starlight LA to Seattle for our next cruise. Our accomodations are sleeper bedroom and the entire round trip was "paid" for with points from the Amtrak Guest Rewards program

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

I travel by train whenever feasible, airline travel just plain sucks anymore. My most recent trip was from the upper Midwest to Ft. Lauderdale for a cruise over Christmas & New Years. For me it is a far better experience than flying, however DW does not share this view so we often meet at the hotel prior to cruise day.

Amtrak service seems to be either non-existent or excellent, very seldom just solid. Seems folks are either enthralled with the experience or completely detest it... once again, very little middle ground. My most recent trip took me from the upper Midwest to Washington DC on the Capital Limited (double decker/Superliner) where I took the Silver Meteor south (single level/Viewliner). On the return it was the Silver Star, overnight in NYC and Lakeshore Limited home, with about a 6 hour delay (recall the weather on Jan 5/6).

One notable difference between a roomette on a Viewliner vs Superliner is there is no window for the upper berth on a Superliner.

Some years back we took VIA Rail's Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto (4 nights) following an Alaskan cruise. DW slept in our room for most of it while I hung out in the Park Car (dome lounge car at end of train). It was a great experience; a day in the Canadian Rockies, a day speeding across the plains, a day in the Canadian Shield north of Lk Superior and a morning along the east coast of Lk Huron.

This summer we're doing a 13 day Alaskan cruisetour on the Sun, I'm sure hoping I can somehow squeeze a train trip out of the deal!

Taking a Amtrak train to Miami in November. I leave on a Friday from Richmond and get to Miami on a Saturday. My cruise is on Sunday so I think that I am covered there. Looking forward to the train also.

I'd be interested in hearing how long it actually takes you to make the trip. We used to be in Chesapeake and looked into a train to Miami. We gave up after we figured out we'd be spending 30 hours to get there and heard the train is subject to not being on time. We're now in Richmond, which eliminates the leg from Chesapeake to Richmond. :)

Taking the Train is a adventure by its self. It is worth it to me to have the Bedroom with the Bathroom and more room. The last Coast Starlight they had a bag of aminitys for the Shower and two small Bottles of Champagne waiting for us to board. We were taken from the Bedroom Class "Traxx Club by Redcap Cart to our Attendent and Sleeping Car....on the Pacific Surfliner from Anaheim to Ventura which I take a lot I do always book "Business Class. One time leaving Anaheim Station on Business Class to meet the "Coast Starlight" for Seattle it was so crowded my DH and I did not get to set together. There are a lot of peoplle now taking the Train to LA.....And yes I have ran into some Grouchs in Attendents and Waiters but I finally learned to find the Conductor and report that person. I have had some wonderful Crews that bent over backward to please us...sorry but I do disagree about the food. It is very good and I usually have the Steak once and it is very good....I have never had a bad Cruise or a bad Train ride even though we were late three hours getting in to Seattle. No big deal. I have noticed on my last two Amtrak trips they are not letting Passenger get off to smoke and walk around and that way they are not losing time.