waterPROOF eyeliner & mascara!

kris2cruise

I don't wear a lot of makeup but do love my eyeliner & mascara! So I'm looking for suggestions on what the best eyeliner & mascara for my Caribbean cruise would be :-) Something I can wear in the water without ending up looking like I've got 2 black eyes (yes being a little vain here but want good pics!)

What works best for you?

Excellent question! I'm looking forward to some getting some good suggestions on this as well. I wear waterproof mascara on a daily basis because my eyes water a lot but it still wears off pretty easily. My lashes are very light so I feel like I look sick without a little bit of help.

I've always stuck with drugstore brands for waterproof items since I don't wear them often and below is what's worked well for me:

Mascara: Maybelline's Falsies (purple tube). It's not my favorite for every day wear but it does the trick for me when I'm in the water and I don't want my mascara to run. I have VERY blonde lashes so I always have something on my eyes or else I look sick :)

Eyeliner: I've found that Maybelline's Eye Studio Gel Liner is also a good one. It's not marketed as waterproof but in the past when I've worn it, it has stayed on ALL day and wouldn't come off when washing my face unless I took makeup remover to it. It doesn't run in the heat, either.

Eyeliner: I do love the Urban Decay 24/7 pencils. I wear it for work; sometimes, I'll come home totally exhausted from the evening shift and just fall into bed - the eyeliner is still there the next morning…

Now, I do use a little Too Faced eye primer before I put on the pencil…

I find that most waterproof mascaras smudge and I wind up with racoon eyes. It's probably due to my moisturizer. So for everyday use, I switched to non-waterproof and have had no problem. For the times when I have to use waterproof, I always use Blinc. Someone on these boards told me about it and it's fantastic. You can get it at Sephora.

I don't wear a lot of makeup but do love my eyeliner & mascara! So I'm looking for suggestions on what the best eyeliner & mascara for my Caribbean cruise would be :-) Something I can wear in the water without ending up looking like I've got 2 black eyes (yes being a little vain here but want good pics!)

What works best for you?

I don't use waterproof mascara, but I do find that Avon's eyeliners work well & they come in all different colors (no I don't work for Avon! LOL )

I see your from Seminole, me too !:)

I love Cover Girl Lash Blast - comes in waterproof. I find that most waterproof mascaras have a TINY bit of a gray tinge but I'm sort of a make-up collector so most people wouldn't notice this. And it doesn't bother me but if you like BLACK mascara this might bug you.

I think most gel liners would be quite waterproof. The bummer with this is you need a liner brush if you don't usually carry one. But they're really nice if you've never tried them before. I'll have to call my sister - she texted me one night and asked how the heck to get off her eyeliner because nothing was working! I'll have to find out what kind she was wearing! :)

I find that most waterproof mascaras smudge and I wind up with racoon eyes. It's probably due to my moisturizer. So for everyday use, I switched to non-waterproof and have had no problem. For the times when I have to use waterproof, I always use Blinc. Someone on these boards told me about it and it's fantastic. You can get it at Sephora.

When I do use mascara (and it's not that often), I also use Blinc. The woman at my local cosmetics boutique turned me on to it quite a few years ago. It's still my favorite. It's kind of fun to have to use the warm water to get it off and then watch the little tubes some off…

Before a vacation, I do the tint thing on the eyelashes. One less thing I have to pack on the trip!

Edited by slidergirl

I was looking for waterproof (SWIM proof) mascara too but am intrigued by tinting. What is tinting? Can you do it yourself or is it a salon thing? I don't usually wear any makeup (not allowed at work) so am a real newbie here. :p

I do it at my local salon or spa. It's a vegetable-based dye. It lasts about 2 weeks on me. I'm jealous that you aren't allowed to wear makeup at work - I'm required to do it; otherwise, I wouldn't wear it, either…

heh. I left the corporate job that required it (and heels! ow!) for medical device manufacturing.

I just got the Maybelline waterproof mascara and am giving it a test run this weekend. So far it smudges just a bit but did not give me raccoon eyes or anything.

I have tried pretty much every single waterproof liner available to the western world! Even ones highly rated on sephoras site weren't waterproof to me, and I was not even swimming!

This is so far the best I have tried. Two cruises wearing this, plus I wear it daily and it does not come off and I work as a bike mechanic. However if you rub your eyes hard it will smear.

http://www.sephora.com/emphaseyes-waterproof-clay-shadow-liner-P262304?skuId=1226620

It does come w a brush, but I didn't like it. Instead I used the brush that came with the Loreal gel eyeliner (yup tried that too). The Loreal one was better than the Bobbi Brown gel liner.

Mascara I have given up all hope. Nothing works for me and I am tired of wasting the money. Btw I am Asian so we have different eyelids that usually transfer makeup more easily.

Edited by whataboutport

Based on a reply here I'm buying some dye and giving it a whirl! I've never tried it before but that's because I've read all of the "you could go blind," stories that apparently originated from the 80's when the formulas were different.

I'm cruising in three weeks. I'll order from Amazon tonight, receive by Tuesday and hope to try it out that night. I've read a number of good reviews and seen a few youtube videos so I'm optimistic! If it works well, I'll re-dye before the trip to be sure it still looks good! I am not expecting the same as mascara because I don't see how dye can all FULLNESS but I think it might be OK for daytime in the sun! Wish me luck!

I wanted to thank y'all for this thread. I never knew about eyelash tinting and after reading about it here got it done. It took two applications cause the first time didn't set well due to my blinking (super sensitive eyes to having things touching it) but so far I love it. Totally stung my eyes but from my research I'm sure its my fault lol.

I use Too Faced eye primer (prefer Candlelight to the original) Kat Von D's "Autograph" pencil liner and L'oreal Voluminous Waterproof mascara over my regular mascara (rotate between Diorshow, a Sephora brand one and a cheapy covergirl one that's big and yellow). My makeup stays smudge free all day AND I never bother to take it off before the gym after work. My face will be dripping sweat but my eye makeup will still be on and decent looking when I get home.

I wear waterproof mascara all the time with my contacts--just can't stand any smudging, etc. Recently I asked at an Ulta store what's the "best" waterproof, and they told me "Cannonball" by Clinique. It absolutely is the best as far as waterproof, in my opinion. A very close runner-up, with a bigger brush, is DiorShow waterproof.

I truly believe the Cannonball by Clinique must have been made for professional diving or swimming athletes!

I also second the votes on Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner. I will definitely be wearing this on our upcoming cruise!

When I moved to the desert I found that unless I wore waterproof mascara, I quickly looked like a raccoon. So, I now use waterproof whenever I wear mascara.

I like the Cover Girl waterproof formulas, and for a bit more money, there is the Diorshow waterproof.

For eyeliner, I use Bobbi Brown.

I personally am a mally girl love all her makeup and her eyeliner/mascara is waterproof

I just discovered Mally from QVC. Is this the Mally you use?

If so, do you use the Brow kit? Is it waterproof? How would you rate it?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wear Maybelline waterproof mascara everyday. Works well for me! I will say that if I rub my eyes when in the water, it will start to smudge. So I try my best not to do that!!

My secret to wonderful beach photos is wearing my sunglasses! No squinty eyes and no worrying about if some mascara has rubbed off. Buy a cheap pair for the ocean if you'll worry about losing them :)