2015 Hawaii/Tahiti from LA

GoVolsTB

Hello, we are booked on the Grand on the 2-2-2015 sailing from LA. I would love some recent opinions of this ship, as I have seen some very negative reviews and the Ruby goes only 2 months later. I believe you make your own good time, but a poor ship can ruin a good trip. Only 1 cruise with Princess b/4 and that was Tahiti to Hawaii and it was wonderful, older ship no longer owned by Princess.

:)

This thread is really about the 28 day cruise to Hawaii and Tahiti.

Even though this is off topic, I would suggest that you wait if you can and go on the Ruby since she is a much newer ship.

This is great news for Fall 2015 we are Lookng forward to this cruise....it will be our 40th wedding so, so happy it's a go!!!!:( Julie & Mike from snowy Manitoba:confused:

Edited by jools28

From Burbank, the drive time is at least an hour to San Pedro, without traffic. With traffic, add another 20 minutes approximately. If there's an accident, well that could add another hour or more. is that really worth it?

I didn't mean for anyone to stay in Burbank, just fly into Burbank and then head to your pre-cruise hotel from Burbank.

Nobody should risk missing a cruise by only flying into the port on the day you're set to sail as there's just too much that could go wrong! You listed the potential traffic concerns, but there could be problems in flight, or even something simple like your luggage not arriving.

You always want to give yourself at least a day grace period for just such emergencies. That little bit of money (say $100) for a day is money well spent as you KNOW you're there and it is just the "omg we sail tomorrow" excitement.

Plus you'd be in LA, there are PLENTY of things to do in LA.

Derek

As you can see in my signature I have been on a number of Princess ships of all sizes. I was on the Grand to Alaska in 2013. This is strictly my own opinion but I found her very tired. She definitely shows her age. Princess removed Skywalkers and replaced it with "The One5". Not as good. I have been on the Ruby and there is no comparison.

Jayne

Thank You Irishjayne I rebooked to the Ruby this morning. Looked at some Utube of both and you could see the age of the Grand in the cabins. Looking forward to a no fly trip to Hawaii. Love Cruisecritic for this kind of info!

This thread is really about the 28 day cruise to Hawaii and Tahiti.

Even though this is off topic, I would suggest that you wait if you can and go on the Ruby since she is a much newer ship.

Sorry Working to Cruise...just jumped in. We have done Tahiti to Hawaii with Princess and it was wonderful...whatever length it works. Please remember to remind people from out of the LA area that LAX does experience delays and cancellations so do not count on day of arrival to be secure. Nothing says vacation like watching your flight be delayed and then cancelled. Happy Cruise to you all!

Thank You Irishjayne I rebooked to the Ruby this morning. Looked at some Utube of both and you could see the age of the Grand in the cabins. Looking forward to a no fly trip to Hawaii. Love Cruisecritic for this kind of info!

Since you had the option of changing to a different sail date, I know you have made a wise choice. You will not be disappointed with the Ruby.

Check out the Adagio Bar for cocktails before dinner if you can't/don't go to Skywalker's for Platinum/Elite Lounge. Also the specialty restaurant, Crown Grill is well worth the money.

Jayne

<snip>

Please remember to remind people from out of the LA area that LAX does experience delays and cancellations so do not count on day of arrival to be secure. Nothing says vacation like watching your flight be delayed and then cancelled.

<snip>

Quoting for TRUTH! Flights stack up like cordwood @ LAX. Burbank's the dream 'port compared to LAX. In and out.

Yeah it is farther away from San Pedro and there could traffic on the way to the port, but that's the reason you never fly in the day you're to embark.

Now to be able to book the fall '15 crusie!

Derek

Who is going to be the first to book and start a thread on this cruise? :confused:

Is that a dare? I'm DUMB when it comes to not being able to resist a dare! ;):D

We KNOW we're doing this, it is just a convo now of what cabin to get.

We didn't spend that much time on our balcony on HAL's Westerdam when we did that crusie in the fall of '12, so the cheap part of me thinks why waste the $ AND we're only hitting 3 different ports (Kauai, Apia & Pago Pago).

Then the non cheap side is all, "but we're hitting 3 different ports, there's not going to be that much difference between the "best" window, a balcony or even a mini-suit so don't be so cheap"!

Of course then there is the MISERLY side of me that says, 'wait to see the blow out deal for this year's cruise, do that next year and take the best you can get with the last minute deal'.

Karen is set for the cruise, it is just a matter of what to book when it can be booked. We're definitely doing this and definitely want to hit up Patrick in Bora Bora again!

Derek

Is that a dare? I'm DUMB when it comes to not being able to resist a dare! ;):D

You could consider it a dare or even a double dog dare!

We KNOW we're doing this, it is just a convo now of what cabin to get.

For this cruise, we are leaning towards an "Aft Suite". :eek: It would be our 1st Aft Suite! :D

We didn't spend that much time on our balcony on HAL's Westerdam when we did that crusie in the fall of '12, so the cheap part of me thinks why waste the $ AND we're only hitting 3 different ports (Kauai, Apia & Pago Pago).

Then the non cheap side is all, "but we're hitting 3 different ports, there's not going to be that much difference between the "best" window, a balcony or even a mini-suit so don't be so cheap"!

We love the balconies and spend a lot of sea time on them. But since this is our "Bucket List" cruise, we are going to splurge and not worry! :rolleyes:

Of course then there is the MISERLY side of me that says, 'wait to see the blow out deal for this year's cruise, do that next year and take the best you can get with the last minute deal'.

Karen is set for the cruise, it is just a matter of what to book when it can be booked. We're definitely doing this and definitely want to hit up Patrick in Bora Bora again!

Derek

We are just waiting on a "Listing" and then the real waiting begins!!!:D

We are just waiting on a "Listing" and then the real waiting begins!!!:D

I thinking you really meant a quadruple dog dare! :D

I'll start a roll call as soon as it is official, no worries on that.

Once it is official I'll reach out to Patrick in Bora Bora to set up our time there as well. If this year's cruise is in Bora Bora on Tuesday 11.4.14, next year will be Tuesday 11.5.15, pending weather and such of course. In '12 Patrick had a combination of things to do; a 4x4 all about Bora Bora (half day), a motu picnic with booze, victuals and snorkeling (half day), or a combo of both--the 4x4 in the AM and the motu in the PM. Was well worth the price. I'm not sure if we'd do the 4x4 again, but the Motu picnic was awesome.

Derek

Once it is official I'll reach out to Patrick in Bora Bora to set up our time there as well. If this year's cruise is in Bora Bora on Tuesday 11.4.14, next year will be Tuesday 11.5.15, pending weather and such of course. In '12 Patrick had a combination of things to do; a 4x4 all about Bora Bora (half day), a motu picnic with booze, victuals and snorkeling (half day), or a combo of both--the 4x4 in the AM and the motu in the PM. Was well worth the price. I'm not sure if we'd do the 4x4 again, but the Motu picnic was awesome.

Derek

FYI, I am working on a link similar to the following for the upcoming 2014 Crown cruise in Oct:

https://crownprincesssouthpacific2014.shutterfly.com/

As I get it closer to being & looking right I will let you know!

FYI, I am working on a link similar to the following for the upcoming 2014 Crown cruise in Oct:

https://crownprincesssouthpacific2014.shutterfly.com/

As I get it closer to being & looking right I will let you know!

AWESOME!

We'll have a two pronged attack going!

Crazy excited!

It looks like the mid May date for the official release is going to hold true, the current cruise sale was extended through 5.13.14.

Time to start planning for at least one new suit, something FLASHY.

Derek

Thanks...that is a great web site. I hope some one on "our" cruise will do something like that. It is far beyond my level of expertise!

Terri, look at a posting that I sent to Derek (Viesczy) yesterday. I am working on it and will post it on the site when it is started! :D

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

Derek

We are on a cruise now. If anyone books Patrick for the 4x4 and lagoon before we get home please include us...Terri and Charlie

I have already started a roll call...can you tell I'm anxious!!

Edited by GoVolsTB

I haven't read the entire thread yet for this 2015 Hawaii/Tahiti/Samoa cruise, but having just returned from the Golden 28 day cruise to Tahiti, I know that we were told by the Future Cruise Sales person that Princess won't be offering this cruise in April of 2015. There will be the one this fall, and then the fall of 2015. Not sure why. Sorry! Better book one of the fall ones if you would like to go.

And I heartily recommend Patrick's tour in Bora Bora.

The much less expensive Hiro tour in Moorea was also good, and the food was actually better than the Bora Bora tour.