New to Regent

gskimmel

I have my eye on an itinerary in November 2015. Considering how far away that date is, I'm debating if I should make a deposit now or wait until early 2015. As I am new to Regent, I am not sure how Regent prices their staterooms over time. For example, I know Disney gets more expensive as the sailing date approaches but other lines get less expensive. I also see Regent is offering a $3000 early booking discount if I book now but I don't know if this is something they'll always offer. Any input is greatly appreciated.

gskimmmel,

I think the major reason why some cruisers book early is to get their preference of a suite. The price change on Regent depends on the cruise, perhaps cost changes, perhaps popularity. Some cruise prices remain the same, others have price increases. Special offers often disappear after a time limit. Angie

Since Regent sells out on popular cruises, most of us book early. We booked a cruise the day the 2015 itineraries came out (Wednesday) for November, 2015 and the pre-cruise land tour is already waitlisted. They opened only a limited number of spaces and more will be added but there will no doubt be a limit.

There really is no reason to wait. As has been stated, prices go up on popular cruises quarterly and, as long as you haven't paid the cruise in full, your TA can usually get you a lower price if the price decreases (this has happened only one time in our 16 Regent cruises). If you plan on deviating your flights, you can do so 270 days prior to the cruise.

Strongly suggest that you book with a TA who frequently books cruises - luxury cruises experience is best. If you plan on deviating your flights, you can do so 270 days in prior to the cruise. I mention this because some people have used their long time TA who is excellent booking travel around the world but is clueless when it comes to booking Regent.

Exactly what Travelcat2 said!

We booked for a Sept 2015 cruise the day they came out. If price reductions or special deals occur later, our travel agent has been able to get those for us. And you do need to use a TA who specializes in luxury cruises and is very familiar with Regent. When I first started cruising Regent, I was just using a regular travel agent. Regent significantly reduced the price of our cruise. I found this out from their website. When I called my travel agent, I was told "sorry, can't help you get the lower price". I immediately started looking for someone better and switched. And now if a price reduction or special comes around, she is emailing me saying that she already got it applied.

Edited by RachelG

This is all good advice as Regent is raising prices significantly. DW and I had booked Dubai to London May/June 2015, 34 nights. DW, and to a certain extent I, decided pirates and the Suez canal were just too unsettling so we canceled the first leg Dubai/Barcelona and added London/Copenhagen. This cruise is 8 nights shorter and yet even with a different array of discounts or credits came out within $500 of the original cruise.

I recognize that Northern Europe is more expensive than the Eastern Med, but, this shocked me. We're going anyway as Barcelona/Copenhagen will be terrific despite some repeats from the past:D

• 2 weeks later...

Many TA's give benefits for booking with them. Some give on board credits, other give a percentage of the cost of the cruise fare back. Also, Regent needs to sell all of their suites and may not tell you, for instance, to avoid aft suites on the Voyager and Navigator if you will be bothered by vibration. There is no reason not to use a TA:)

And if you book with a good TA who is knowledgeable regarding Regent and keeps up with things, if a true price decrease comes along, they can get it applied to your booking. Regent won't even alert you to this. You would have to keep up with the price changes, which can be a big task sometimes, and you have to figure out if it is really a better deal or not. Then you would have to call Regent and see if they would apply it to your already booked cruise. A good TA will take care of all this for you.

As I booked our first Regent cruise this week, I have a couple of general questions that don't seem to get raised - or I've missed them.

As the CR & Sette Mari restaurants are open seating, what are the chances if a table for 2 at around 8.00 pm (+ or - 15 mins). Plus, do the outside tables at SM get taken by all the smokers, or do people avoid outside seating in the evening?

What, precisely, does the spa consist of? There appears to be no hydro therapy pool, steam rooms or spa terrace etc - it looks like just a sauna and massage treatments. I believe there are gender specific saunas, like Cunard, which is fine but are there any other facilities?

Finally, are there 2 production shows to suit early & late diners or is there just one performance each evening?

Sorry, if these are duplicate questions but trawling through searching for specific answers is not my thing. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can usually get a table for 2 anytime in CR or SM. We tend to eat a bit earlier most times, but I can't remember having to wait more than just a few minutes to get a table in CR. In SM, the wait may be a bit longer if you want to eat right at 8.

They won't let you smoke at the outside tables at SM, so not an issue.

There is a steam room and sauna in the spa. No extra charge for these.

Usually just one show per night, but sometimes two depending on the schedule. They wouldn't do the same show twice though.

Oh, just thought of a supplementary question! :)

Is there a Maître D on duty at b'fast & lunch for La Verandah or is it just a "free for all/ first come first served" job re: tables?

Edited by Pies4u

While there is a manager in La Veranda, you seat yourself. If it is crowded, they will try to assist you. On the Voyager, there are two separate sections of La Veranda. When one fills up, the other opens to accommodate most, if not all, guests.

While there is a manager in La Veranda, you seat yourself. If it is crowded, they will try to assist you. On the Voyager, there are two separate sections of La Veranda. When one fills up, the other opens to accommodate most, if not all, guests.

Thanks, that is helpful. Can you clarify about the outside seating - do the outside seats generally get taken first (I realise the weather might well dictate that, to an extent).

7:30 is prime dinner time, especially in CR, as most people want to finish dinner prior to the evening show (which, about 80% of the time, is after dinner). We have had some waiting around 8 in the past unless we wanted a share table. Tables begin to clear out around 8:30. The craziest nights are the first two, after that things usually settle down and it becomes easier. No smoking in rear of SM and seating availability usually depends on weather and sea conditions. Jeff