What have you bought, brought & then never used on board?

IMKTDQT810

I'm going to REALLY try and pack light and mindful this cruise. Interchangeable clothing, shoes etc.

But I keep drifting over "Packing lists" that ppl post and I think....ok, maybe that. But then second guess saying "I have never used that in the past, what if I buy it, pack it and never use it"

So..what have YOU bought, brought and never used?

If going light, skip the door hanger. I never use it. I don't bring a ton of stuff that needs to go in it.

Here's my usual list:

Clothes

Wallet

Contact solution and case (plus 2 extra sets and glasses)

Deodorant

Sunscreen that u buy just before going to the port at Walgreens

Sunglasses

Hat

That's it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I can't think of anything I've bought specifically to bring on a cruise, but not used. I brought walkie-talkies the first time our kids were old enough to spend some time on the ship on their own but young enough that we still wanted to be able to know where they were. But we found we didn't use them and relied on other methods.

I also brought a bungee cord the first time I saw the suggestion to use it to keep the balcony door open, but didn't use that either.

I usually have a supply of tape, tools, etc. that I bring not necessarily expecting to use, but wanting to have in case I need it. You could probably throw medication into that same category -- i.e., precautionary.

I seem to recall bringing video camera-to-TV patch cords and not using them. I can't remember if that was because the TV ports were sealed, not accessible, etc. or if it was because we weren't inspired to watch the vacation videos while we were still on vacation.

I'm going to REALLY try and pack light and mindful this cruise. Interchangeable clothing, shoes etc.

But I keep drifting over "Packing lists" that ppl post and I think....ok, maybe that. But then second guess saying "I have never used that in the past, what if I buy it, pack it and never use it"

So..what have YOU bought, brought and never used?

I'll answer your question a different way - I've read the "most bring" lists, and leave 90% of the suggestions home. I can pack everything I need for a 7 night cruise into my carry on luggage. I don't need alarm clocks, power strips, laptops, or phone, an over the door organizers, door decals, bungee cords, etc.

I pack 7 tee shirts, some sox, briefs, 2 swim suits a few polos, a hat and dockers, water shoes and shorts. Sometimes, if I'm sailing on Celebrity or Princess, on in the Mediterranean, I'll even pack my tux in my carry on. A shoulder bag has my travel docs, passport, meds, camera and binoculars. That's all folks. Oh yeah, I'm a guy, so it's easy.

Edited by evandbob

I always bring too many clothes. I actualy pack pretty light as it is but i always wind up with clothes that I dont wear. I pack something for day time and dinner and half the time i wind up wearing to dinner what i wore during the day becuase its usually a sundress or something anyways and i rarely had it on during the day because i had my bathing suit on! Same with shoes, i always buy a couple new pairs of sandals but wind up wearing the same pair all week.

I read about the door hanger and have already decided I don't own one and will not buy one since I prolly won't use it.

A blender...yeah, nope..not gonna do that one either.

I'm packing SO light that last year when summer/active wear went on clearance I bought myself, DH & DS a lot of the light weight active solid shirts so they weigh nothing and won't get wrinkled. THEN I gave it to them at Christmas as "Cruise wear". It worked as a great gift and for once I really think we will be traveling light on clothing.

things I have bought, brought, and never used on board;

a swim suit. I never go in the pools on a ship, but always think that I might want to, so bring one, and never do it.

Shoes, I always bring too many. dressy sandals, walking sandals, track shoes, heels for formal night, slippers for in the cabin. Usually only end up wearing the walking sandals and the dressy sandals for elegant night. At least two pairs of shoes dont get worn.

Books. I always bring at least one book that I dont end up reading, because Im too busy having fun at other things.:)

oh yes...forgot this one....too many cruise elegant clothes. Really only need elegant clothes now for two evenings. I have still not learned that I dont need all that dressy stuff, so am hoping to remember to bring less of that next time.

Edited by SMSACE6

a swim suit. I never go in the pools on a ship, but always think that I might want to, so bring one, and never do

This is awesome. It shows how cruise vacations are enjoyed in many different ways by different people. I was going to answer, "too many clothes. I never end up wearing them because I wear a bathing suit and cover up all day, every day."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

things I have bought, brought, and never used on board;

a swim suit. I never go in the pools on a ship, but always think that I might want to, so bring one, and never do it.

Shoes, I always bring too many. dressy sandals, walking sandals, track shoes, heels for formal night, slippers for in the cabin. Usually only end up wearing the walking sandals and the dressy sandals for elegant night. At least two pairs of shoes dont get worn.

Books. I always bring at least one book that I dont end up reading, because Im too busy having fun at other things.:)

oh yes...forgot this one....too many cruise elegant clothes. Really only need elegant clothes now for two evenings. I have still not learned that I dont need all that dressy stuff, so am hoping to remember to bring less of that next time.

I always bring two bathing suits. I never wear them. I've on occassion gone in the hot tub where my husband STAYS, but usually I read while he does that. I even want to get in that clear blue water out there, but figure that my totally pale skin would probably freak people out. :D

The over door shoe holder. There was plenty of storage space for our junk, even when we had four people in our cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never understood the need for so much space. I think there is plenty of space between the drawers, under the bed, the cabinet, the closet, my bags, and the bathroom. I must not be high maintenance. My husband, of course would probably disagree. :p

Edited by MoreMouse

More than half of the shoes that I pack:D

Me too. I brought SEVEN pairs of shoes for our two week trip to Europe this past summer and I wore ONE pair the entire time. What a waste of packing space.

For our cruise in March I will only bring 2 pairs of comfortable sandals and my heels for elegant nights. It will be difficult to leave the rest at home but I am determined to do it.

I always bring too many clothes. I also bring too much makeup and jewelry. Usually bring 2 bathing suits just in case I gain too much and don't like how the first one fits; I have yet to wear the 2nd swimsuit. I also usually bring something for motion sickness which I've NEVER used; decided not to bother with that on my last cruise.

I also used to bring books but never read them, so I quit doing that... considering bringing my Kindle but I really don't think I'd bother with that either.

Edited by path145

I have brought duct tape and never used it and have brought OTC medicines including Dramamine that I haven't used but those I am afraid not to pack. I bring highlighters but have never remembered to use them.

I don't bring a large power strip, I use a 3 plug one that just plugs into the outlet and has 2 USB charging ports on the top. It is really good and doesn't take up as much space.

I always bring my Over the Door Shoe organizer and use it every time and wouldn't want to cruise without it(especially with a daughter). I want everything well organized and easy to find and don't want the bathroom cluttered, they are small enough without that. Mine has clear plastic pockets .

Edited by Mysticks1

I read about the door hanger and have already decided I don't own one and will not buy one since I prolly won't use it.

A blender...yeah, nope..not gonna do that one either.

I'm packing SO light that last year when summer/active wear went on clearance I bought myself, DH & DS a lot of the light weight active solid shirts so they weigh nothing and won't get wrinkled. THEN I gave it to them at Christmas as "Cruise wear". It worked as a great gift and for once I really think we will be traveling light on clothing.

I always read about the door hanger and never brought one until our cruise last year and I will never cruise without one again. With the clear pockets I could locate everything from pills glasses, hairbrush, camera, toothpaste, etc. Kept the room neater also.

I always bring too many clothes and never used the bungee cord or duct tape.

Bungee cord. Couldn't figure out how anyone used it to hold the door open anyway. Then I found out if the door stays open, the AC messes up. Never took it again.

I always use the over the door thingie. Especially on the Fantasy class ships where there's no counter space in the bathroom. I keep it filled and on the closet door at home. I add to it as needed. Makes packing a breeze!

Too many shoes...once when I had my 2 kids with me we had one bag that was all shoes! Now I have at most flip flops, walking sandals, dress shoes and if I think I might need them, sneakers (closed toe) for certain excursions.

I usually take 3 books and end up reading all of them.

I think it depends on how many people are in the cabin.....with four of us (and especially with kids) I love the door organizer......I even put their entire outfit in different pockets and we can clearly see where things are like glasses, sun tan lotion, camera, etc....usually stuff laid all over the desk/counter - it just keeps the room ALOT neater and more organized!

I always bring clothes I don't wear.....(usually sweaters or a jacket)....but I would hate to sail without something because you just never know about the weather.....Honestly, I've sometimes just left them in the suitcase stored under the bed.....but I'm glad to know it's there.

I also pack a medicine packet........so glad I haven't used anything more than an aspirin.....but I'll be packing it again....and continue to hope I don't need it!

I don't worry about packing "lite".....I've always found the storage room and frankly if it fits in the suitcase, who cares if I take it and don't use it.....someone else lugs the suitcase to my room, and then off the ship....into the car trunk and home...........

I'd rather have it and not need it, then miss it.

I've pretty much got our list down to the minimum - except I did have a few clothes I didn't wear this time.

The only thing I didn't take & wish I had was a little pair of scissors - needed some a couple of times, and more hair conditioner. I took one of the little hotel bottles - and that wasn't enough. I like the ship shampoo fine - but need conditioner.

I was always bringing too many shoes. A girlfriend and I did a girls cruise and between the two of us we had 30 pairs of shoes in the room. For a 3 night cruise.:D Finally I've learned that summer or winter I tend to wear the same pair of weather-appropriate shoes every day, so I stopped bringing shoes for every mood, and just wear my every day shoes, and bring one pair of dressy shoes.