RCI vs Carnival

klaner64

Our last several cruises have been on Carnival, but we are really looking forward to our first RCL experience in a long time! We started to get bored with the "cookie cutter" entertainment offered on Carnival and decided to try something new. We will still cruise Carnival occasionally, but can't wait to experience one of RCL's megaships. :cool::)

I have never cruised Carnival but have been told they have some pretty awesome cabins with wrap around decks. They are probably not in the category I cruise anyway and do not offset the niceties I enjoy with RCI. I always look for a great deal and get at least what I paid for but mostly RCI exceeds my expectations for the price I pay.

I have been on EVERY major american line over the last 23 years. This includes rccl, princess, carnival, ncl, disney, premier (no longer around), star (asia) based, celebrity and holland america.

Each line had pluses and minuses. After hopping around, I settled on RCI bc the loyalty program was the best, got reciprocity with Celebrity, and I felt it offered best bang for buck in terms of service and amenities vs cost.

Carnival, while cheaper, I felt compromised too much and I would rather pay more for a little better ship and service.

Each cruiseline has specific groups and demographics they advertised to.

Carnival from my experience, tends to like to party more, drink more, and have more fun. Hence the fun ship. In general younger demographic.

Rccl can be very tame and boring if you like to dance and party. Many people do not like this and want to party and dance a lot on vacation. I have friends who took one cruise on royal and never again bc they missed the party atmosphere.

To each his own. Hence the multitude of cruise options.

Well I'll find out in a year which I like better. Though I haven't sailed Carnival for several years, I'm hoping they haven't declined too much, so I don't have anything recent for a baseline comparison. I've never had a bad cruise at all, though the most boring was on Princess, and the most obnoxious passengers were also on the same cruise. I was not a huge fan of the 4 day cruises, but still had a good time.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Forums mobile app

People are people. The good, the bad, the ugly, they are cruising on EVERY line.

My last Royal cruise I had an 'old fart'(sr. citizen), well dressed, mind you, cut in line. He informed me I'd better get used to it, he was there for the duration of the cruise. Say what!!!? I also see MANY ill dressed, over sized, people on EVERY line I've sailed on. Celebrity is one of them. A more expensive cruise does not guarantee class, or manners. Nor does it guarantee a better wardrobe on your fellow cruisers.

Some of you ... . smh

I don't know why on earth you would throw "over sized people" in with any of what you're saying there. Rude. : /

& to the original poster... Royal Caribbean is our favorite line by far, and we've sailed at least 6 different ones. We have enjoyed our cruises on Carnival as well, but I find those to be

quite a different experience than RCCL. There are always positives and negatives with every cruise and every cruise line. I would say that food and drinks are about equal--some things better than others on each. The cabins on Carnival are larger, but the décor of the RCCL cabins is nicer. I prefer the smoking policy more on RCCL as it's more restrictive. I've found service to be pretty equal on both. The entertainment and activities, in my opinion, on RCCL far surpass Carnival's. Of course most of this is subjective... it all depends on what matters for you in a cruise.

Sorry if I hit a nerve. The "over sized" comment was thrown in there because, on many of these 'debate' (CCL vs RCI) threads, it is brought up. The terms they use can be quite "rude".

Some Royal ( I'll be polite here) loyalists like to talk about the supposed, over sized, herds on Carnival feeding at the trough.

Apparently they only wear their blinders when on a Royal cruise.

Have a nice day! ;)

Edited by WetToes

We have sailed both lines. Our past couple of cruises have been on Carnival and the cutbacks have become too much. No live music on the lido, the 25 minute production shows, and on our recent cruise on the Breeze the two pools felt like being in a bathtub because they were so small. It has been a while since we have been on RCCL but we are hoping for a much better time.

RCI is much classier, cleaner, you won't find places rusted out or in need of paint, etc., nothing looks cheap. Unfortunately, the same cat always be said about Carnival. I sailed 3 times on Carnival and 5 times on RCI. There is just no comparison!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree it seems that RCCL are always doing something to ensure the ship is good condition. Rule is if they take care of the little things you can see; the big things are well serviced as well behind the scenes. IMHO