Hate the 'Group Dining' Thing...

Leo Jay

Sure, we may end up sitting with some rather charming people... but we could also end up next to Mr. & Mrs. Bickermuch and their 3 bratty kids. (We chose an 8pm seating, so hopefully fewer kids that way, but I've heard otherwise...).

Anyway, any chance of getting just a two-person table? And would we appear conspicuously anti-social if we did? We're doing the 5-day Carnival Triumph to Nova Scotia on August 27. Any feedback appreciated.

Anyway, any chance of getting just a two-person table? And would we appear conspicuously anti-social if we did? Any feedback appreciated.

If you want to dine alone, why do you CARE about the appearance of being anti-social. :confused:

I know some will toss out the "ya just gotta be sociable or you're a snob" anchor. That is well and good, for some, but there are times when it's good to be with a group and times when it ain't. On one cruise my wife and I took, we requested a table for two, for reasons I will not detail, and it was most enjoyable. We have also sat with others and enjoyed. When we dined "alone" we interacted plenty otherwise. Everyone cruises for a different reason, though if "groups" aren't your thing at all, you might be spending a lot of time "avoiding" on a cruise. :) I'd suggest visiting the maiter d' immediately upon boarding and request (read: tip) a table for two - and give him a romantic reason (I wouldn't trot out the "I don't like crowds" excuse). Such two-person tables can be very limited on some ships, so quick action is essential.

from what I remember there were several 2 person tables on the 2nd level of the Paris (aft) dining room on the Triumph. I second 4yanx's advice. don't forget the friendly "handshake."

Leo Jay,

I don't know if you booked with a travel agent, directly with Carnival or with an on-line site. If you used a travel agent, have him/her put in request for a table for 2 saying you are "celebrating an anniversary" during the cruise. Same thing if you book directly with Carnival.

Give it a try. If not, do the "on-board friendly handshake" as soon as you get on board.

Good luck!

:)

MARAPRINCE

Or, you could just tell the truth :rolleyes: And as others have mentioned first put the request in with your agent... if you don't get the table for 2 when you check in, immediately go see the Maitre'D and ask if he has any tables for two... they are limited, so go there early... you don't have to lie in order to get one... just be very convincing, and if he gets you a table, make sure to leave him a nice tip.

We did the group thing for years and finally decided we wanted a table for two and never went back!! You can request a table for two through your TA. When you board, go to the dining room and check to see if you got your request. If not, go to the maitre'd and request a change to a table for two. I agree with 4yanx, make up some song and dance about a romantic occasion and even shed a tear or two.. should do the trick!;)

I am with you.........when we are fortunate enough to cruise (my husband and 2 daughters 10 and 8) would like dinner by ourselves. We enjoy each others company and it is a great way for us to share our day. My husband is Mr Social...but for dinner we all agree we like a small table. We have been lucky and for the last 4 cruises we have always been assigned a table for 4. We are cruising the Elation on Aug. 14 - I hope it works out this time too.

We where at a both for dinner, 6 of us, and they people behind us, had 3 girls, form roughly 8 - 14 and they kick the bench the whole dinner 1st night. I guess are amazing waiter newman, noticed this (we did not make a big deal of it at the time) and got them a table of there own so they could be a little more care free, and we did not get an unvoluntary massage.

But i would not want to be stuck with some of the kids i see at dinners. Although my 8 year old neice's would not dare, act out at dinner, or they would have to go back to etquiette classes, they hated that.

but I don't go on cruises to meet people. My family of 4 prefers a table for 4.

We have been blessed with excellent tablemates most times, but still prefer a table to ourselves. With our society going the direction (wrong direction) it is going, I don't want my dinner ruined by some snot nosed punks whose parents were not intelligent enough to raise them to be decent human beings...or the inconvenience of grown adults who can't show up on time.

For all those who finally learned how to tell time...when you have a 5:45pm seating....that isn't a suggestion and you don't show up every night at 6:10pm.

Oddly enough, on all 12 cruises someone asks me if I work for Carnival, because I am generally helping others find their way or solve a problem.

So I am very social...I simply prefer a quiet meal with my family.

I think tablemates are great. If they are supposed "bad, anti-social tablemates", wouldn't they be the ones requesting the table for themselves? Dining with another family is a nice experience, and only a bad experience if you make it one yourself.

I always ask for a table for just my group and NO one else. I tried the other way when I first started cruising. After about two or three cruises I said never again. You are not be antisocial for asking for a table for just your group no matter how big or small.

but I don't go on cruises to meet people. My family of 4 prefers a table for 4.

We have been blessed with excellent tablemates most times, but still prefer a table to ourselves. With our society going the direction (wrong direction) it is going, I don't want my dinner ruined by some snot nosed punks whose parents were not intelligent enough to raise them to be decent human beings...or the inconvenience of grown adults who can't show up on time.

For all those who finally learned how to tell time...when you have a 5:45pm seating....that isn't a suggestion and you don't show up every night at 6:10pm.

Oddly enough, on all 12 cruises someone asks me if I work for Carnival, because I am generally helping others find their way or solve a problem.

So I am very social...I simply prefer a quiet meal with my family.

Totally agree.

While we had nice table mates on our last cruise, we ended up sitting with our DD and her friend who some how got a different table than ours and their table mates never showed up once.

It's nice to be able to sit down to a very nice meal and talk with your family.

don't forget the friendly "handshake."

Here's a question. The Maitre'd has a line of people coming through asking for changes and shaking his hand, after which he undoubtedly casually slips his hand in his pocket for a second without looking at it before speaking to the next person in line.

How the heck does he know how much he was tipped? If some big spender slipped him $100, and some cheapskate gave him $1, would he even know the difference until he emptied his pockets later? And at that point how does he know who tipped him $100 and who tipped him $1?

(For the record, I'd give him $20 myself. I wasn't asking to see if I could get away with a $1 tip.)

We are going with 3 other couples. Do you think they will add people to our table of 8? Last year we were a group of 13 and we all sat together. Oh and we had 7 children under the age of 14 and ALL behaved beautifully in the dining room. People should not be afraid of kids. IF you end up with a table of bad-mannered kids, I would asked to be moved for the next dinner seating. I'm sure the maitre'd would understand.

Generally if you are traveling without children, they will not place you at a table with a family... I love children, but don't care to dine with other people's children while I am on vacation, regardless of how "well behaved" they are... I know Carnival seems to do a really good job with this... placing couples with couples, families with families, etc...If you have a table for 8 when you get your assignment, and you are cruising with 3 other couples (8), then there would be no room for anyone else...if they don't assign you to a table for 8, just ask the Maitre'D once you get on the ship... good luck!

Having just retired from a job that kept me at the office a minimum of 65 hours a week, most of the time dealing with the public, I am looking forward to the possiblity of getting reacquainted with my lovely wife of 48 years and we will request a table fror two. It won't ruin our cruise if we don't get it..we have had some very nice tablemates in the past, but this time we hope to be able to dine alone. People who know us would never decribe us as anti social. But different times call for different approaches. Just have fun!

After a number of difficult experiences we always eat alone. We change our seat every night so that everyone gets a different view. No problem getting a separate table. I don't like the big tables..and we want to spend time with our family. We do enjoy interacting with others at breakfast and lunch.

When we sailed last December on the Victory, my husband and I went to see the maitre 'd as soon as he was available. I believe it was around 1:30 on that cruise. It was in the papers we received when we embarked. We did not give him a tip because we did not know it was expected and we didn't make up any stories. He gave us a table for two with no problem. We were there as soon as he was available though and there were only two or three others ahead of us. There were a few empty two tops available in our dining room but some were not in very nice locations. We will ask for one on our cruise in October also but may tip him now that we know it is expected.

We just feel like we get more personal service than if we are at a big table and we enjoy each other's company and like to dine alone. At lunch on the open seating we also asked and got seated just the two of us although the woman seating us didn't seem to be happy to do it. But, we noticed others doing the same thing.

When we sailed on the Norway we had no problem getting a table for just the two of us but when we sailed on the Brilliance of the Seas we were not given one but we were seated with a group of other airline employees and we all had a lot in common. There was one couple who was rather obnoxious but they were sitting at the other end of the table from us. :)

We have always had very nice tablemates and have never had a table with children. I would request a different table however if that did happen because I am past the age where I enjoy the "family" atmosphere.

My daughter and I cruised several years ago and ended up at a table with two other couples. We immediately hit it off with one of the couples and had a great time. We all tried very hard to get the other couple involved in the conversation, stories and jokes but they just sat there the first evening looking like they were dining with a bunch of smelly warthogs. Next evening, the four of us were shown to a table for 4 and we never saw the other couple again. No loss. We had the most wonderful waiter in the world and the enjoyable dinners we spent together were the best part of the trip.

Archived