Payment to Alla Tours

Essexlass2

This clarification just arrived in my email.

"

As mentioned, starting with this season, the clients are to pay on the morning of the first day of their tour in St. Petersburg (in your case, August 1st, probably first thing in the morning).

"

This change really can't be well received by potential customers, especially this one.

Steve

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are considering using Alla as well in St. Petersberg. Its toss up between SPB and Alla at this point.

Does Alla expect payment before the tour starts or at the end of day 1? I have never pair a private tour before the end of the first day at least. Never paid in full before we even start, which is what their email to me yesterday said:

"...starting with this year's season we have decided that our clients are to pay on the morning of the first day of their tour in St. Petersburg....".

Is this unusual?

Thanks,

Steve

This clarification just arrived in my email.

"

As mentioned, starting with this season, the clients are to pay on the morning of the first day of their tour in St. Petersburg (in your case, August 1st, probably first thing in the morning).

"

This change really can't be well received by potential customers, especially this one.

Steve

I think it's great to be able to book a multi-day tour in St. Petersburg without having to pay a deposit! I have booked a number of private tours that had to be paid in full before I left home.

I think there are some very big mountains being made out of one tiny mole hill. If the policy doesn't suit, easy, don't book with Alla. We had a fantastic time on our Alla trip, but for all of you fussing about which day you have to pay, then, maybe it would be better you book with another company.

I think there are some very big mountains being made out of one tiny mole hill. If the policy doesn't suit, easy, don't book with Alla. We had a fantastic time on our Alla trip, but for all of you fussing about which day you have to pay, then, maybe it would be better you book with another company.

Agree. What difference does it make when you pay? Many tours we have paid in advance by credit card, some paid at the beginning of the tour, and others at the end. The key is to do the research for a reputable company, so that they deliver the product as promised. Just a thought - maybe they were getting stiffed by folks not showing up for the second day and thus not paying. If your worry about paying at the beginning is that you would have no recourse if there was a hiccup (traffic causing delays and missed venues, venue closed due to strike, fire, etc.) I don't think you have to worry. This is a reputable company and they feed their bookings on good ratings. They would make things right as they could not risk bad reviews.

Interesting - think I will use Alla so am wondering if anyone has had a discount for cash. Do American Express travellers cheques count as cash or are they too old of a way of payment. I have at least up to 2 yrs ago cashed them on board ship.

In my correspondence with Anna from Alla tours there was no mention of a discount for cash but we were given a discount for booking 2 tours (Berlin & SPB).

I an certainly not concerned about when I pay, really half expected to pay when booking.

I am paying cash because the Russian banks are expensive with their conversion charges so Anna tells me.

Agree. What difference does it make when you pay? Many tours we have paid in advance by credit card, some paid at the beginning of the tour, and others at the end. The key is to do the research for a reputable company, so that they deliver the product as promised. Just a thought - maybe they were getting stiffed by folks not showing up for the second day and thus not paying. If your worry about paying at the beginning is that you would have no recourse if there was a hiccup (traffic causing delays and missed venues, venue closed due to strike, fire, etc.) I don't think you have to worry. This is a reputable company and they feed their bookings on good ratings. They would make things right as they could not risk bad reviews.

I understand that this is apparently the reason! We have booked with Alla. :)

• 4 weeks later...

We are also using Alla Tours for our three day port stop in St. Petersburg. We have a private tour for two days in St. Petersburg and one day in Moscow. I don't have a problem paying on day one or two for St. Petersburg but just received an email from them advising that we have to pay the Moscow portion one month in advance. Has anyone else been advised of that and is it a reason for concern.

I think I have seen a number of posts in general on staying away from tours that require payment up front but Alla has always received great reviews. Should I be worried.

I've also been asked for the Moscow portion of my 3 day Alla tour in Russia. This had been been explained previously in our correspondence. She has to purchase the rail tickets in good time and it seems perfectly reasonable to ask us for the payment for this. Museum entry is also included in this fare.

With all issues arising from US sanctions, it is natural for SPB based vendors to be bit cautious. The fact that Alla does not require deposit makes them exceptional to begin with. They are not going to take your money on day 1 and not show up next day!!

Most economic way to visit SPB without visa is of course not take any tours where you are herded like sheep. DIY is extremely easy in SPB (and as far as you keep your visit to 12, 36 or 60 hours you are within all Russian rules)

Even 12 hour sampler is ok if you do not want to visit hermitage. (no need of hotel either in that case)