Bermuda cruise question

pjo

Food on Celebrity is not consistent. You can get one great meal and one horrible meal. Scrambled eggs at breakfast were cold every day. I don't mean room temperature I mean cold like they were sitting under the air conditioner vent. This was true if you ordered them in the MDR or Buffet.

The buffet was slim pickings and served the same meals every day. They had an Asian section that was not good although we liked the sushi that they served at 5:00pm each day. They don't have a salad bar like Princess but from speaking to passengers the new ships do have a salad bar.

I would suggest getting the eggs made to order at the eggs make to order and omelet station in the buffet if you book Summit. (something Princess does not have). Even for scrambled, cause you will get real eggs not a pre made mix. On Summit they also have a Waffle Station and Eggs Benedict station where they make fresh. Lunch there is also a pasta station. Also I like that they have real home made ice cream in the buffet at lunch. Never done Qsine as my last Summit cruise was before the renovation and the Solstice class ship I was on did not have Qsine.

Princess has two small ships that could do a Hamilton and St.George itinerary. If they ever put them on the Bermuda run I would book either of them over any other lines ships to Bermuda that do Kings Wharf!

Edited by Charles4515

The 5 day Explorer of the Seas might be a good option and great value. Yes it is a slight step down from Princess, but they pack a lot of into this trip. Bermuda is still warm in Sept. when the kids are back in school.

I did Explorer to Bermuda and liked it. I didn't think the 5 day cruise was long enough though.

Edited by Charles4515

I don't think that the ship matters so much on this itinerary in particular.

We did Celebrity last year and enjoyed it. There were several things about it that we liked such as the waffle station, and the pasta stir-fry stations in the buffet. I also liked the entertainment and adult pool.

What surprised us was the service and the cabin. The cabins were very dated and in need of repair. The bathroom was tiny even for a ship. The service was not as good as usual on the ships.

I cannot compare to Princess for you because we haven't yet tried that line. However, I did not think the Celebrity Summit was worth what we paid in comparison to other cruises that we have been on.

We are visiting Bermuda again this year and will be trying the Breakway. We'll see how that turns out.

I would suggest getting the eggs made to order at the eggs make to order and omelet station in the buffet if you book Summit. (something Princess does not have). Even for scrambled, cause you will get real eggs not a pre made mix. On Summit they also have a Waffle Station and Eggs Benedict station where they make fresh. Lunch there is also a pasta station. Also I like that they have real home made ice cream in the buffet at lunch. Never done Qsine as my last Summit cruise was before the renovation and the Solstice class ship I was on did not have Qsine.

Princess has two small ships that could do a Hamilton and St.George itinerary. If they ever put them on the Bermuda run I would book either of them over any other lines ships to Bermuda that do Kings Wharf!

The line at the omelet station was too long with one chef making one omelet at a time An omelet would have been my first choice but to save time on port days I opted for scrambled eggs. I don't understand how the eggs could be served cold in the MDR. I would have sent them back but I didn't want to waste anymore time eating breakfast on a port day. My biggest complaint about the buffet is that after a day in port there is absolutely nothing to eat in the buffet between 3 and 5 except horrible rubber Pizza. The buffet on Princess is open continuously so you could always find something to eat when you returned from port. As far as the ice cream, it was warmer than the scrambled eggs and melted. I loved everything else about the ship. Next time I will be prepared and order room service when we return from port. The room service menu is better on Celebrity than on Princess.

I don't understand how the eggs could be served cold in the MDR. I would have sent them back but I didn't want to waste anymore time eating breakfast on a port day.

I expect the scrambled eggs served in the MDR are not made to order. Likely they are prepared ahead of time and held on a steam table. That would be why they are cold. Never have ordered scrambled in the MDR. Always order omelets, Eggs Benedict, Fried Eggs or Pancakes.

We've cruised to Bermuda at least 20 times over the past 30 yrs on many lines. Last, was on the "Veendam" in 2012. Looking forward to sailing on "V" again out of Boston next year. Once upon a time, most ships docked overnight in St George's and them moved to Hamilton for 2 nights. The "V" stays in Hamilton, which we prefer WAY MORE than docking at King's Wharf. Most ships are too large to dock in Hamilton. My choice would be 1: Veendam, because it docks in Hamilton 2: Summitt 3: no go to Bermuda. We were on NCL last year (not to Bermuda and did not like it AT ALL! We did go to Bermuda twice on NCL, but pre-Freestyle. We did enjoy it, then.

I have been on the Celebrity Summit. I had a great time on this Ship. No complaints. They really cater to my every need.

I have also cruised to Bermuda from NJ on Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. I really enjoyed visiting Bermuda. Really nice location. Plenty of things to do. I will be returning there again in about a month again out of Jersey on RCCL.

I have cruised with Princess and Carnival and Norwegian. Each cruise lines has positives and negatives. It all depends on the person and what you are looking for. Personally I will never cruise with Carnival again because of how bad my personal experience was with them.

I like Royal and Celebrity for my favorite cruise lines out of the 15 cruises I have been on. But like I said, it's all personal experiences and what each persons likes and wants are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This May, I'm taking my third trip to Bermuda via the Summit. I've also been to Bermuda multiple times via NCL I have no complaints about the Summit, and would always choose Celebrity over NCL if I had to choose. I personally love the 7 day Bermuda trip with 3 days to enjoy the lovely island. With that said, if Princess ever brought up a ship to do the 7 day Bermuda trip, I think I would definitely consider Princess.