excuse me for even bringing it up…..

Lily429

Never had a problem with chair hogs. Maybe because I don't frequent the serenity area or have only been on the smaller ships, but on the regular parts of the open deck I've always found a spot.

Whose supposed to stand around for two hours watching every chair that looks alike to see if the same things have been sitting in the same chair unattended? What if you go for a swim or a drink for 5 or 10 minutes? Does the clock start all over again? lol. Seems hard to manage, which is why people should self govern. I suppose many don't, which is unfortunate. But you can't always do something about lack of consideration.

I also don't believe parents should get first dibs on chairs by the pool. I cruise with my kids. They didn't go in the pool last year, because they were usually too crowded. And chances are if the chairs are taken up around the pool, then the pool is packed, which means I don't want to be in that area anyway. I've noticed that there are some times that are better than others for kids to enjoy the pools with supervision, but I don't think I have a right to any particular area of the deck just because I have my kids with me. Just my opinion.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Whose supposed to stand around for two hours watching every chair that looks alike to see if the same things have been sitting in the same chair unattended?

they are supposed to have attendants put a sticker on the chair and if the sticker is still there after 40 minutes, the stuff is removed and the chair becomes open.

What if you go for a swim or a drink for 5 or 10 minutes? Does the clock start all over again?

yes.

And chances are if the chairs are taken up around the pool, then the pool is packed, which means I don't want to be in that area anyway.

Not true. people get up as early as possible (around 5am or 6am), put a towel or a book on the choice lounge chairs and then go back to bed and potentially go back to these loungers at noon or 1 or whatever time they decide.

If that happens, then yes that is definitely a chair hog. On every ship I've been on, the chairs around the pool were packed as was the pool. I am not up watching whose putting stuff down in chairs at 5 and 6 in the morning, so yes I suppose they could have been taken the entire time. However I was talking about during the height of the day when the pool is packed. I'm not interested in being in that area then; especially with kids.

Thanks for clearing it up about the process. They use stickers. O.K. I'm here to say I've never seen that process in place.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I read that Carnival made an attempt to police the chair hog problem…..it's been awhile, what is the current situation? I have been back on the boards for a few weeks now and have yet to see anyone complaining about the chair hogs. Is everyone tired of beating the dead horse or did Carnival succeed with their attempt to put a stop to it?

Not really, they just have a sign.

so this may be a silly newbie to cruising question but where is one supposed to keep belongings while swimming and sliding all day if not on a chair? here in Jacksonville we have a small water park and everyone comes in the am and puts all their crap on a chair or two (or five, we usually just use one for all of us since we are never at the chair anyway) and goes and plays all day comes back to the chair for the occasional wipe of the face with the towel and sunscreen application. i have heard about a towel hut? should we just go to the towel hut each time we would like to dry our face? will they keep our sunscreen for us too? just asking but would like to know, first cruise coming up soon

If someone comes back to the chair occasionally you shouldn't have a problem. If you have a lot of stuff to put on the chair for several of you, that would be better. You and people like you are probably an exception, but I could never understand why people absolutely positively MUST be by the pool while sunbathing, unless to watch their children or swim. Most of them don't do either from what I've seen. Couple weeks ago on the INSPIRATION, I saw the towel animals also, put out on all the lounges. :)

As others have stated, I would much rather have a chair facing the sea (you know . . . that thing you're cruising on) than tolerate all the yelling, screaming, and general confusion of wall-to-wall people all trying to look pretty.:rolleyes:

Wow am I strange for what I do?

I keep everything on me. I would never leave stuff on a chair and go away. Maybe a towel, but not the one from my room. I also wonder how many hogs, are just people who left used towels on a chair thinking they'll be picked up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Wow am I strange for what I do?

I keep everything on me. I would never leave stuff on a chair and go away. Maybe a towel, but not the one from my room. I also wonder how many hogs, are just people who left used towels on a chair thinking they'll be picked up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I also would not leave any of my belongings. I do what I have to do first, restroom, drink or breakfast and then I get a chair and when I want to do something else I pack up my things and go.

Just got off the Freedom. They were putting stickers marked with the time on the chairs in the Serenity area. What I noticed was that when one person was "reserving" several seats, they would remove the stickers from all their chairs once the worker was out of sight.

I have read from many about the stickers, but have never seen anyone on CCL placing stickers on loungers. This is an issue to many cruisers on all lines, and I think something that will never go away.

DW and I have never had an issue finding loungers on open decks, we just don't look for them around the pool, too crowded. Where we have problems is on Serenity, where CHOGS seem to be more prominent.:(

I hate to bust your bubble but there are major chair hogs on the Serenity Deck. It never ends.

Also, not to be rude, I don't think that chairs should be freed up just for parents with kids. They should be freed up for everyone. There should be no special privileges for people just because they have children. Sorry, that's JMHO. By-the-way, yeah I do have a kid and I've never thought I was more entitled to a chair because of it. However, in the kid's pool area...yeah, I'd say I'd be more prone to leave those chairs for parents of small kids. But in the main area, by the main pool...not so much.

I agree about serenity. I have never been able to find a chair there. most sit empty with a towel on it. I don't take a chair close to the pool as my son is older now and isn't with us a majority of time.

while we were on the Breeze over Christmas Carnival was out enforcing the chair hogs. There was almost a fight and security had to be called!!

Since CCL is so fond of passenger participation entertainment, maybe this was the days main entertainment. LOL

Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself.

Seems simple to me!! :D

FN101.JPG

Not really, they just have a sign.

Happy to report that last week - on the Miracle - in the Serenity they had the sign and were enforcing it!

We watched the staff routinely place stickers with the time marked on them on lounge chairs, clams, hammocks, etc that had items on them - but no guest.

They then returned - 40 minutes later - to collect items in mesh bags that I assume were taken to the towel coutner area to be claimed.

It was great to see!

I suppose I don't really have much experience with the whole CHOG situation as we typically aren't open deck sitters. We're usually off playing trivia during the day. The first time we were on the Dream, our kids were with us, so we walked through Serenity up never stayed there. The smaller ships that we've been on haven't been too crowded when we were there to sit, but that was generally in the evening. What we did notice last April on the Dream when we were by ourselves, (without our kids), the ONE hammock was always full... We patiently waited for a turn, but by the time we got in, another couple were also waiting for a turn. It was more like a carnival ride that you had to wait in line for and then feel uncomfortable using because the next people were also waiting. It would make more sense to me to add more or remove the one they have.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

[quote name='cruzingramma']Just off the sunshine....chair "police" were out in full force....tagging chairs,clamshells etc...even saw security removing belongings a few times!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

The "chair police" on the Sunshine serenity deck last week were tagging chairs as soon as people stood up! Someone had moved a sticker from another chair and stuck it on mine while I was in the pool for maybe 10 min. Luckily I was paying attention or my stuff would have been hauled away. The nerve of some passengers on that sailing was just amazing to me:eek:

I agree that CHOGs need some policing but IMO the hawkeyes they had on Sunshine were a bit much!

I was on the Breeze last month and it was impossible to get a chair in the sun on the first sea day. There were plenty of them under the lifeboats and in other shady places. We spotted chairs with rolled up towels and were told by nearby people that no one used them all day. It's always going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also PLEASE do not save chairs for your kids that will not be using them! Last yr on our Easter week cruise on The Magic a chair was not to be found! Tons of empty ones with kids crap in them next to the parents though.
I just wanna sit by the pool and supervise my kids. Its nice to be able to have a seat. Could care less about the games.

I was on the Liberty a couple weeks ago and there was no policing. I gave up on Serenity by day 3. I've been on 2 cruises totalling 15 days and managed to a get a hammock for a total of one hour. I wanted to remove items myself but didn't feel like arguing with people when they returned... i was on vacation.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]On the Inaugural Sunshine they were doing a good job. I would get up at 5 am and get me a chair, watch the Sunrise and stay in it all day, except to go to the bathroom, on the same deck and eat breakfat or lunch, by dinner they were more open. But I did lose my chair when I went to lunch one day... No big deal. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]They had stickers I would see them mark your towel with it, and collect your stuff and lost and found it.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='mousey']I hate to bust your bubble but there are major chair hogs on the Serenity Deck. It never ends.

Also, not to be rude, I don't think that chairs should be freed up just for parents with kids. They should be freed up for everyone. There should be no special privileges for people just because they have children. Sorry, that's JMHO. By-the-way, yeah I do have a kid and I've never thought I was more entitled to a chair because of it. However, in the kid's pool area...yeah, I'd say I'd be more prone to leave those chairs for parents of small kids. But in the main area, by the main pool...not so much.[/QUOTE]
I never said I expected anyone to get out of a chair for me because I am a parent, you missed my point entirely.