excuse me for even bringing it up…..

Lily429

I read that Carnival made an attempt to police the chair hog problem…..it's been awhile, what is the current situation? I have been back on the boards for a few weeks now and have yet to see anyone complaining about the chair hogs. Is everyone tired of beating the dead horse or did Carnival succeed with their attempt to put a stop to it?

I have never really experienced chairhogs on a cruise? First in Best Dressed I say!

I just wait until one is available and have never had to wait too long, I suppose everyone wants what they think is the best position to lounge:confused:

If a person has a chair and decides to go for an extended swim or get something from their cabin/buffet then thats not wrong in my opinion as they got to the chair first, their gain my lose:)

I am sure chairhogs dont think they are chairhogs, they are possibly annoyed that they have to keep leaving many personal items on their chair so others dont try to steal it:)

For our first two cruises on the Destiny and Victory, they had lounge chairs out all along the deck under the lifeboats. It was a nice quiet place to sit and read or just stare out into the ocean. For the rest of our cruises, that spot has been empty. I don't understand why they took the lounge chairs out of there. It was especially nice sitting out there at night just relaxing.

I have never really experienced chairhogs on a cruise? First in Best Dressed I say!

I just wait until one is available and have never had to wait too long, I suppose everyone wants what they think is the best position to lounge:confused:

If a person has a chair and decides to go for an extended swim or get something from their cabin/buffet then thats not wrong in my opinion as they got to the chair first, their gain my lose:)

I am sure chairhogs dont think they are chairhogs, they are possibly annoyed that they have to keep leaving many personal items on their chair so others dont try to steal it:)

Spoken like a true chair hog ;)

I read that Carnival made an attempt to police the chair hog problem…..it's been awhile, what is the current situation? I have been back on the boards for a few weeks now and have yet to see anyone complaining about the chair hogs. Is everyone tired of beating the dead horse or did Carnival succeed with their attempt to put a stop to it?

No policing. Still lots of CHOGs. Chairs are pretty hard to come by on sea days.

so this may be a silly newbie to cruising question but where is one supposed to keep belongings while swimming and sliding all day if not on a chair? here in Jacksonville we have a small water park and everyone comes in the am and puts all their crap on a chair or two (or five, we usually just use one for all of us since we are never at the chair anyway) and goes and plays all day comes back to the chair for the occasional wipe of the face with the towel and sunscreen application. i have heard about a towel hut? should we just go to the towel hut each time we would like to dry our face? will they keep our sunscreen for us too? just asking but would like to know, first cruise coming up soon

Ah, the CHOGs blog... :) I have been on numerous cruises and watch this all the time... I do wish they would police, not a hard thing to do. It is not meant for the people who come and use the chairs. But I have witnessed people coming and plopping their stuff down and disappearing from the area for well over 90 minutes. If you are to be gone for a few minutes, sure, not a problem. But please stop from monopolizing the chairs if you are not going to use them in the immediate time frame.

And for the people who need to store stuff... really, is your cabin that far away that you can't go to it and return in say, 15 minutes??? I didn't realize the ships were that big.

so this may be a silly newbie to cruising question but where is one supposed to keep belongings while swimming and sliding all day if not on a chair? here in Jacksonville we have a small water park and everyone comes in the am and puts all their crap on a chair or two (or five, we usually just use one for all of us since we are never at the chair anyway) and goes and plays all day comes back to the chair for the occasional wipe of the face with the towel and sunscreen application. i have heard about a towel hut? should we just go to the towel hut each time we would like to dry our face? will they keep our sunscreen for us too? just asking but would like to know, first cruise coming up soon

the police are supposed to come by and if that chair has not been occupied for 2 hours they remove the stuff.

I have never had a hard time finding a chair. they might not be pool side but i can find a chair. (please note that if you lose a towel you will be charged 25.00 for it.

obviously a bone of contention when it comes to cruising rights…several of you have made comments that ring true. My dilemma is this….I have a 10 year old, she spends most of her time in the pool or on the slides, for obvious reasons I feel the need to be, at this point, at least within eyesight of these areas. This is where I have a problem. For us it's not about being in the center of the action, or facing the right direction or wanting to be close to the pool….for us it's about monitoring the safety of our kid. If you are simply looking for a place to drop your things then do us a favor, find a remote spot that won't rob a parent of this duty. In the meantime, as we dream of the adults only area, she is getting older and we are comfortable moving a little farther away from where she plays, freeing up those chairs for parents with younger kids, it's a consideration, kinda like leaving the parking spaces up front for the handicapped……..:o

Our Baltic cruise had lots of chairs available due to the crazy weather but the sticker people were out then...maybe because there wasnt much need for it and it was easy.

I think theres also a difference between chair hogs and people having a swim. I should be able to go for a 30 min swim/get food and be able to come back to my chair.

What really annoys me is people who chair hog pool spaces when they do not even swim/ hot tub especially when there are parents who want a pool side seat to watch their kids or swimmers like me that want to keep an eye on their stuff.

Edited by Velvetwater

obviously a bone of contention when it comes to cruising rights…several of you have made comments that ring true. My dilemma is this….I have a 10 year old, she spends most of her time in the pool or on the slides, for obvious reasons I feel the need to be, at this point, at least within eyesight of these areas. This is where I have a problem. For us it's not about being in the center of the action, or facing the right direction or wanting to be close to the pool….for us it's about monitoring the safety of our kid. If you are simply looking for a place to drop your things then do us a favor, find a remote spot that won't rob a parent of this duty. In the meantime, as we dream of the adults only area, she is getting older and we are comfortable moving a little farther away from where she plays, freeing up those chairs for parents with younger kids, it's a consideration, kinda like leaving the parking spaces up front for the handicapped……..:o

Nicely stated. As a 55 yr old, I have enjoyed the adult area, but next yr, we will be bringing granddaughter (and parents) so we will either be in the pool with her or want to be very close to her. Especially after the recent tragic deaths of children in the pool. :(

Excellent point. I've never thought of this.. I do not have younger kids and will now get a chair a little further away so parents can keep an eye on their kids!!

Edited by brendacruise

Ah, the CHOGs blog... :) I have been on numerous cruises and watch this all the time... I do wish they would police, not a hard thing to do. It is not meant for the people who come and use the chairs. But I have witnessed people coming and plopping their stuff down and disappearing from the area for well over 90 minutes. If you are to be gone for a few minutes, sure, not a problem. But please stop from monopolizing the chairs if you are not going to use them in the immediate time frame.

And for the people who need to store stuff... really, is your cabin that far away that you can't go to it and return in say, 15 minutes??? I didn't realize the ships were that big.

Yes the cabbie is pretty far away to store your towel,coverup,sunglasses,sandals. I'm not saying you need 4 chairs for 4 people but cubbies would help the chair storage problem.

Edited to add: I always try when I use a chair to hold my things when I swim to find one that is out of the way and never levee things there for hours usually only 1/2hr while we swim.

Edited by mymirabella

I agree. With so many drowning on cruise ships, we parents really have to stay close.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I police my own chair hogs. If there are no chairs and me and the family are out and they are in the pool and I'm having to sit around the deck somewhere - if I see chairs that haven't been sat in for more than an hour, I'll remove whatever is on them and set them to the side and use them. Most of the time, it's only towels. It hasn't happened often, but I've done it once or twice. Never had any one say anything to me about it, likely because they know they aren't supposed to do that.

Though I agree - if you want to grab something to eat or go for a dip, that's not really hogging. Though, that should take less than an hour. If you're gone longer than that, you are wasting resources that others would like to use and that's bad form.

Edited by stupendousman8

I'll be honest, I've never had a problem finding a chair. When we went last July we couldn't get right by the pool unless we got up early and got out there, but we always found one somewhere. I read a lot of complaints about it on here but I've never had that bad of an experience with it.

I police my own chair hogs. If there are no chairs and me and the family are out and they are in the pool and I'm having to sit around the deck somewhere - if I see chairs that haven't been sat in for more than an hour, I'll remove whatever is on them and set them to the side and use them. Most of the time, it's only towels. It hasn't happened often, but I've done it once or twice. Never had any one say anything to me about it, likely because they know they aren't supposed to do that.

Though I agree - if you want to grab something to eat or go for a dip, that's not really hogging. Though, that should take less than an hour. If you're gone longer than that, you are wasting resources that others would like to use and that's bad form.

Yep I'll be doing the same. Dare somebody to say something too

I don't think most people mind you going to get something to eat. It's the people that get up at the crack of dawn and place towels/ books etc on several chairs then go back to bed.

This is the definitive 'chair hog'. I understand going for a swim, grabbing a bite, or even running back to your cabin for something....leaving your chair for a brief period is not the issue. Those 'saving' chairs are just plain inconsiderate, selfish and immature.....reminds me of my days in elementary school.

Edited by Lily429

I hate to bust your bubble but there are major chair hogs on the Serenity Deck. It never ends.

Also, not to be rude, I don't think that chairs should be freed up just for parents with kids. They should be freed up for everyone. There should be no special privileges for people just because they have children. Sorry, that's JMHO. By-the-way, yeah I do have a kid and I've never thought I was more entitled to a chair because of it. However, in the kid's pool area...yeah, I'd say I'd be more prone to leave those chairs for parents of small kids. But in the main area, by the main pool...not so much.

Edited by mousey