Port or Starboard, does it matter?

bunnyfoofoo82

I recently had a price reduction and upgrade option on my May 9 cruise. My PVP asked me "Port or Starboard" when looking at my cabin options. I don't know if it mattered (we are in an interior cabin) but I was wondering what the difference would be, besides being in ports and a view.

Did you upgrade to a room with a balcony? Some people (including us) like to be on their balcony for the sail away on day 1 of their cruise.

I guess it's a matter of preference. We usually get a room on the starboard side. On our last cruise we had one on the port side. It really confused us for some reason. You get used to leaving your room and going in a certain direction for the dining room, etc.

So on our December cruise, we are back on the starboard side. :D

Happy cruising! It's a great way to travel!

Did you upgrade to a room with a balcony? Some people (including us) like to be on their balcony for the sail away on day 1 of their cruise.

I guess it's a matter of preference. We usually get a room on the starboard side. On our last cruise we had one on the port side. It really confused us for some reason. You get used to leaving your room and going in a certain direction for the dining room, etc.

So on our December cruise, we are back on the starboard side. :D

Happy cruising! It's a great way to travel!

We ALWAYS (since 2003) get a cabin port side for that reason. When we exit the cabin we know which way to go to get anywhere we want to go.

One time our friends were on the starboard side and I stopped by to get her to go someplace. Walked out of her cabin and started to go the wrong direction.

I guess I'm a creature of habit.

We ALWAYS (since 2003) get a cabin port side for that reason. When we exit the cabin we know which way to go to get anywhere we want to go.

One time our friends were on the starboard side and I stopped by to get her to go someplace. Walked out of her cabin and started to go the wrong direction.

I guess I'm a creature of habit.

LOL! I'm glad we are the only ones to do that! :D

I'm taking an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. I booked a starboard balcony cabin. Will it matter on an Alaska cruise?

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

Nope, you will get a different view or sun coming and going. Back when we did the Southbound Alaska we had Port to see the coast all the way. You will never out guess the ship in port as they can put either side of the ship dockside.

Now days we only do wraps or aft extended so no difference to us.

Edited by MikeM

I always do a port cabin with a balcony -- best excursion ever is watching the pier runners! 90% of the time port has docked portside.

Because you are inside, it won't really matter.

Unlike others, I can get turned around way too easily! I'd swear to judge and jury I'm walking forward when I'm going aft. I find a landmark when I get off the elevator to help me go in the right direction! And decorate my cabin door with something so I can find it!!

I've only sailed from Galveston and New Orleans and the ship ports backwards in both. In Galveston they make a big u-turn pulling in and in New Orleans they make a big u-turn when leaving.

You'll either get a sunset or sunrise on either side and it'll change on the way back so I don't see a difference. Also for watching pier runners you never really know which side they'll dock on so it's a toss up there as well.

I recently had a price reduction and upgrade option on my May 9 cruise. My PVP asked me "Port or Starboard" when looking at my cabin options. I don't know if it mattered (we are in an interior cabin) but I was wondering what the difference would be, besides being in ports and a view.

You may want to check what is above and below you.

We booked a spa interior and from what I learned about the Splendor is to book them starboard side because port side interiors are over the gym/weights.

So check what's above and below you, maybe that will help your decision!

To me, it makes no difference whether port or starboard. I'm more concerned at what is directly above me and below me. I try to book a cabin that has other cabins above and below. It will be so much quieter. If you book below the lido deck, you do have noise of lounge chairs being pushed around at night by the crew. If you book above the nightclub, you can heard the vibration of the music. Location is key in my book.

To me, it makes no difference whether port or starboard. I'm more concerned at what is directly above me and below me. I try to book a cabin that has other cabins above and below. It will be so much quieter. If you book below the lido deck, you do have noise of lounge chairs being pushed around at night by the crew. If you book above the nightclub, you can heard the vibration of the music. Location is key in my book.

Hmmm....this makes me second guess my stern cabin on the Empress deck of the Fantasy (just booked yesterday - first Carnival cruise).

We always book port side cabins.....Last year on the Breeze, we had the view for all 4 ports.:D:D I know it's not a guarantee, but it's likely.

We just booked the Breeze for the July Southern itinerary, and again, port side balcony on the Lido.

I have a thing about odd numbers:eek::eek:

Edited by KPfromCT

I always do a port cabin with a balcony -- best excursion ever is watching the pier runners! 90% of the time port has docked portside.

Because you are inside, it won't really matter.

Unlike others, I can get turned around way too easily! I'd swear to judge and jury I'm walking forward when I'm going aft. I find a landmark when I get off the elevator to help me go in the right direction! And decorate my cabin door with something so I can find it!!

Exactly my reason for booking a port side balcony! LOVE LOVE LOVE it for "optimal pier runner viewing" LOL

Since booking, I've read that the Fantasy rocks a good bit. I've booked an aft cabin (to watch the wake) on the Emperess deck. Should I call Carnival and try to change cabins to something more midship?