Avalon: Upgrades??

Kenster

We are booked for our first river cruise. Avalon Rhine and Mosel departing AMS on April 13th.

I'm wondering if Avalon upgrades cabins like cruise ships do? We bought the mid level cabin, one step under a suite. Does it ever happen?

Thanks!

As River cruising boats are much smaller than Ocean cruises, most staterooms are sold out and as far as I am aware, the better class river cruise companies such as Avalon do not need to us upgrades, they do from time to time offer discounts off bookings on some dates, but that applies to all levels of staterooms. We have used those discounts to give ourselves an upgrade.

We have cruised once with Avalon (Budapest to Amsterdam Aug 2012)and a b2b Grand France booked in June/July this year, all of these cruises are fully booked, so there wouldnt be any chance of an upgrade, the cruises for this year were fully booked about 10-12 months out.

As Peter said, the ships are small , with under 200 pax and are generally fully booked well in advance, it may be differnt with cruises very early or late in the season as ours will all have been during the European summer (our winter :-) )

We received a discount for booking and paying our deposit well in advance and also an other discount for booking again with Avalon.

Deb

• 1 month later...

Our Avalon boat only has 128 passengers. I wasn't even thinking about an upgrade. I am still waiting for the upgrade fairy to visit me and have taken over 30 ocean cruises. Oh, perhaps this cruise - I won't hold my breath. LOL It's a nice thought though. We booked the last available cabin on this ship in February for a May cruise.

Marion

On our first Avalon cruise we got upgraded from aquarium class to a room with floor to ceiling windows and open air balcony. It sure paid off for Avalon because on our next 2 Avalon cruises we booked that class of room we loved the view so much!!

Every cabin with the floor to ceiling open air balcony is exactly the same. Only difference is where the cabin is, and it doesn't matter. The ship is so small. We book the lowest category open air balcony.