Vatican Tour options

brooklintee

We will be in Rome for 4 days prior to our August 4th Reflection cruise. I am looking for suggestions of highly recommended companies that offer organized tours through the Vatican - the museums, St. Peter's & Sistine Chapel.

I am travelling with my DH and 2 sons aged 21 & 15.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Book a tour directly with the Vatican for a fraction of the cost going with a 3rd party.

Book, prepay, and skip the lines.

The only advantage of going with a 3rd party would be to book a tour that start before the Vatican officially opens. For example:

http://www.walksofitaly.com/tour_bookings/tour_all_listing/6/43

or

http://www.darkrome.com/tours/vatican-tours/vatican-museums-semi-private-tour

For 37 Euro per person, I'll stick with the Vatican's tour.

Edited by Ron98GT

Our first trip to Rome we used Angel Tours.

http://angeltours.eu/rome

We did a private tour but they have group tours too. We met our guide at the Vatican museum entrance and did the museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peters in the morning. She then took us to a small hole-in-the-wall place for a great pizza, drink and desert for 5 euros each….. then all 3 of us jumped in a taxi and she gave us a guided tour of the Coliseum and the Forum in the afternoon.

It was a long day but not so rushed or tiring that we were too tired for a nice dinner out and some evening strolling around Rome :D

It wasnt cheap but worth every penny. She gave us dates, names, etc. but not so much as to be boring and also had some interesting info and stories which we enjoyed a lot.

The Vatican is huge and can be completely overwhelming to do in one day or morning etc….. but with a private guide you tell them what interests you and that is what they give you….. instead of the standard "group sees this" tour.

I can highly recommend them especially with kids since dates, names etc can really cause a teen to "overload" quickly …. just my two cents ;)

We went with What A Life Tours. Very highly recommended on tripadvisor. Angelo was our guide and was excellent. His mother is American and his dad Italian so he didn't have an accent when he spoke. Their office is on one of the side streets from the entrance to the Vatican. You can ask for a tour that starts at 7:30 am to avoid the crowds.