Latest We Can Disembark/Miami

rhiannon35

JSailing the Getaway, and just wondering if anyone has an idea of the latest we can disembark after arriving in POM. I know this varies depending on customs but a general idea would be helpful.

We have a 2 p.m. flight out of FLL and don't want to sit at the airport any longer than need be.

They will start pushing folks off as early as they can. You probably will not be able to delay past 9-10am.

Go to the airport. Get checked in. Find someplace for a quiet lunch and before you know it, boarding time.

By the way, some people would consider 2pm an early flight. LOL!!!!

Keep in mind that FLL is up the road a bit. Traffic problems are not common, but every mile you add, well... you know.

Thanks garycarla for the advice. We are late-risers -- well all of us except my DH -- and also prefer to avoid the rush of getting off with the crowds. We cruised Disney Dream last year and were in last few off, but for the life of me I can't remember what time it was (Wasn't feeling well that day).

We actually had a 12:30 flight but it was bumped to 2, so now definitely not in big hurry to get off ship. We are in TSA pre-approved program, too, so hopefully will get through security fairly quickly.

Thanks garycarla for the advice. We are late-risers -- well all of us except my DH -- and also prefer to avoid the rush of getting off with the crowds. We cruised Disney Dream last year and were in last few off, but for the life of me I can't remember what time it was (Wasn't feeling well that day).

We actually had a 12:30 flight but it was bumped to 2, so now definitely not in big hurry to get off ship. We are in TSA pre-approved program, too, so hopefully will get through security fairly quickly.

As a general rule, they want the ships empty as soon as possible. We're not early risers either, and we usually leave the ship around 9am, as our flights are always after 12 noon. I suspect they'd like to have the ship clear by 10 to 11 am, particularly since the next group of passengers will start boarding around noon.

A note about being in TSA Pre Check: Remember that even if you're in the program, and even if you get Pre Check on your flight down to FLL, you may not necessarily get it on the return flight. The TSA Pre Check "system" randomly denies Pre Check status (forcing you to go through the regular check system) as part of being "unpredictable." So it's best never to count on that short Pre Check routine. Also, the TSA is now randomly selecting people from the regular lines to go through Pre-Check, and handing out more and more Pre-Check boarding passes....I'm starting to see the Pre-Check lines at major airports being just as long as the regular lines. Just more fun in the theater program we call "airport security."

Edited by VideoTech

JSailing the Getaway, and just wondering if anyone has an idea of the latest we can disembark after arriving in POM. I know this varies depending on customs but a general idea would be helpful.

We have a 2 p.m. flight out of FLL and don't want to sit at the airport any longer than need be.

You should be able to push it out until 10.00am or thereabouts. No matter your luggage tag colour, wait until the final, final, final announcement for "all guests, all tag colours" or even until they start naming and shaming! Once you get off there will still be a longish customs line in the terminal building, which will take about 30 minutes to clear.

Enjoy!

It's turn around day for the crew and probably the hardest day of the week for them. Always appreciated if you get off the ship promptly. Have a nice breakfast in the MDR and you'll be off between 9 - 10 and then after customs off to the airport.

Unless you encounter traffic or other problems you'll arrive in plenty of time for your flight and arrive home relaxed and still enjoying your "cruise glow":)

It's about a 30 min ride to FLL airport with no traffic problems. You might consider SAS Transport, they do an great job, and it is not expensive.:)

It's turn around day for the crew and probably the hardest day of the week for them. Always appreciated if you get off the ship promptly. Have a nice breakfast in the MDR and you'll be off between 9 - 10 and then after customs off to the airport.

Unless you encounter traffic or other problems you'll arrive in plenty of time for your flight and arrive home relaxed and still enjoying your "cruise glow":)

We are in basically the same situation, with a 3:50 flight out of FLL. If we book SAS and leave the ship around 9:30 to 10:00, what time should we arrange for SAS pick up? Not sure how long it takes to get bags etc.

As a general rule, they want the ships empty as soon as possible. We're not early risers either, and we usually leave the ship around 9am, as our flights are always after 12 noon. I suspect they'd like to have the ship clear by 10 to 11 am, particularly since the next group of passengers will start boarding around noon.

A note about being in TSA Pre Check: Remember that even if you're in the program, and even if you get Pre Check on your flight down to FLL, you may not necessarily get it on the return flight. The TSA Pre Check "system" randomly denies Pre Check status (forcing you to go through the regular check system) as part of being "unpredictable." So it's best never to count on that short Pre Check routine. Also, the TSA is now randomly selecting people from the regular lines to go through Pre-Check, and handing out more and more Pre-Check boarding passes....I'm starting to see the Pre-Check lines at major airports being just as long as the regular lines. Just more fun in the theater program we call "airport security."

VideoTech thanks for the info -- I know that they are now allowing random people who haven't been pre-screened to go through pre-check, but I didn't know they also are randomly taking some of those who have out of the lines. Not surprising -- I live on a border city, and you would be shocked how many times we get pulled in using the Nexus lanes for further inspection.

As a sidenote, a good friend who is a former flight attendant can't believe they are allowing people who don't have TSA Pre-approved status through the lines, whether they are deemed "low risk" or not.

If you get off the ship at "last call" there won't be a customs line. In fact, they will have closed down one of the gangways and luggage warehouses and consolidated into one.

Also, they really want you out of your room by 8am (ish) so they can start turning the ship. We generally pack up and head for breakfast between 8 and 8:30 (I think they serve until 9am), and when done we go find a nice place to sit and watch people. I have no desire to wait in lines, so we wait until the "come on now, please leave my ship" announcements. Since we're out of our room by 8 we don't think we're slowing anyone down. :)

Edited by sdmike

It's about a 30 min ride to FLL airport with no traffic problems. You might consider SAS Transport, they do an great job, and it is not expensive.:)

We are in basically the same situation, with a 3:50 flight out of FLL. If we book SAS and leave the ship around 9:30 to 10:00, what time should we arrange for SAS pick up? Not sure how long it takes to get bags etc.

I was going to get a private car before our flight got pushed back, but now will save $ (more to spend on cruise) and take shuttle.

I have same questions as jlcd -- also wondering if we can just call once we're clear through customs to get on next available shuttle. This seems like a better idea than booking ahead, so neither we nor shuttle is waiting.

If you get off the ship at "last call" there won't be a customs line. In fact, they will have closed down one of the gangways and luggage warehouses and consolidated into one.

Also, they really want you out of your room by 8am (ish) so they can start turning the ship. We generally pack up and head for breakfast between 8 and 8:30 (I think they serve until 9am), and when done we go find a nice place to sit and watch people. I have no desire to wait in lines, so we wait until the "come on now, please leave my ship" announcements. Since we're out of our room by 8 we don't think we're slowing anyone down. :)

You have a good plan! Nice for you and not a bother to anyone:)

I'm so with you on this! we tried to be out early once and were in line for an hour on gangway, then longer in customs.

However, after having our steward barge into our room while we were still sleeping on last day on Allure, we now try to get up and out so they can clean rooms. We had an inside cabin, and the no natural light thing was terrible as far as waking up!

Once you are off the ship and have all your luggage, they will want you to call them. Google SAS Transport to get you to their site, complete the short reservation form, and they will email you back with instructions. I have nothing but good things to say about them....I have used them several times.:D

• 1 year later...
Once you are off the ship and have all your luggage, they will want you to call them. Google SAS Transport to get you to their site, complete the short reservation form, and they will email you back with instructions. I have nothing but good things to say about them....I have used them several times.:D

SAS email response for Miami port return to FLL states that there could be a 45 minute waiting period if they receive your call for pickup after 9:30AM; they ask that you call just before going into the customs building, so that 9:30AM time frame may be important in getting you to the airport timely.