First Time Cruise-March 23 Epic

tyler476

This will be my girlfriend and I's first cruise, and really our first true vacation together.

-I've read all the "what to bring/pack" guidelines on the NCL website, but does anyone have any tips on any extras to bring, what type of clothes to bring for Western Caribbean cruise in late March, and what dollar amount we need to have for our OBA? (neither have a credit card)

-What are the best shore excursions for Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Ocho Rios? And also is there a port where we can just enjoy the beach for a nominal charge?

-We are driving 15 hours to Miami, and stopping the night before Embarkation in Orlando, then driving the 3 1/2 hours to Miami that morning. What time is the earliest you can arrive at POM, and board the ship?

-What type of beverages can be brought on-board? (i.e. beer, cokes, bottled water)

And any advice or tips in general that may allow us to further enjoy our first cruise....?

Thanks to all.

First I suggest that you'll read NCL's FAQ completely, it has a lot of basic info - like the official requirements for cash deposits for onboard account: http://www.ncl.com/faq#onboard-expenses (while the official guideline is $300pp for a week long cruise, there have been reports of people putting just enough to cover service charges and then topping up if the funds run low).

Both Mexican ports offer nice beaches for pretty nominal fee, in Cozumel there is Chankanaab National Park that has entrace fee ($21pp) but there is a really nice beach and lots of loungers. There surely are others beaches that are cheaper but when we last were in Cozumel my GF and her mother went there for dolphin swim and rest of our party just hang around in the beach area and I loved the place. The entrance fee also makes it a bit less crowded.

In Costa Maya you can just take a taxi and ride the short ride to the beach area, there are a lot of different sections on the beach where you can rent loungers for about $10pp, in some places the rent price includes one or two drinks from the bar so basically you're paying for the drinks only. There is also a very recommended all-inclusive american-owned beach resort called Maya Chan where one can spend the day for $59pp and it includes all drinks (alcoholic or non-alcoholic), open buffet, transportation from/to the ship, water activities and accessories etc.

Edit: A great list of options in Costa Maya can be found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1920888

Ocho Rios is our least favourite Caribbean port in general, on both times we've been there, we have booked an all-inclusive resort for a day (and have had great stay on both occassions) so I can't help with the affordable options there.

You can arrive to the port anytime starting from around 10am, boarding starts usually around or little before noon.

Any non-alcoholic beverages can be brought onboard, just put a luggage tag (or ask for tags from porters) to the cases of water or soda and they will arrive to your cabin's door on embarkation evening.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by Demonyte

This will be my girlfriend and I's first cruise, and really our first true vacation together.

-I've read all the "what to bring/pack" guidelines on the NCL website, but does anyone have any tips on any extras to bring, what type of clothes to bring for Western Caribbean cruise in late March, and what dollar amount we need to have for our OBA? (neither have a credit card)

-What are the best shore excursions for Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Ocho Rios? And also is there a port where we can just enjoy the beach for a nominal charge?

-We are driving 15 hours to Miami, and stopping the night before Embarkation in Orlando, then driving the 3 1/2 hours to Miami that morning. What time is the earliest you can arrive at POM, and board the ship?

-What type of beverages can be brought on-board? (i.e. beer, cokes, bottled water)

And any advice or tips in general that may allow us to further enjoy our first cruise....?

Thanks to all.

Most of the questions can be answered by scrolling down through recent posts, but here is some help.

Most ports have some low cost options for just going ashore. Check your ROLL CALL and the PORTS OF CALL for ideas.

You can not take beer or booze onboard. Sodas and water are fine.

I can never imagine traveling that far without a credit card, in case of who knows what happening. Do a check to make sure you know how much the car parking will cost. Scroll down to get an idea of what drinks cost onboard.

Make sure you have done the online registration - TODAY.

You can start boarding in the 10-11am timeframe. Allow time for car park, etc. After checking, they start letting people on around noon, sometimes later.

Thanks to all.

You sounds like college age people with limited funds. My tip to you would be (I know I will get crap for this) google Rum Runners. You will save a ton this way. My wife and I's first vacation together was a cruise (when we were in college) and we had a fantastic time. You will love it. Have a great time!!

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

Most advice says to bring double the amount of money you think you'll need, just so you know. It would probably be helpful if we knew your drinking habits, since that can be the biggest expense on the ship. A single domestic beer will cost $6.33 with the automatic 15% tip included. That will add up really quickly if you are each drinking a few each day.

Thanks to all.

We did the Epic Eastern cruise last year in January and were just on a cruise in February, but took the same type of clothing for both -- swimming suits, shorts, t-shirts, dresses/shorts/nicer shirts/pants for dinner. We were in our swimming suits most of the daytime and in the more dressy clothing at dinner.

Not sure of the rest of the ports as we've only done Cozumel, but you should be able to take a taxi right from the pier to a beach for a nominal charge. Check the Ports of Call board for beach options; people will probably have lots of recommendations over there.

When we checked in at the POM last year around 11 a.m., we sat for about an hour before boarding. I would suggest getting to the POM around noon or a bit after. That avoids some of the crowds that embark really early, but still gets you on the ship early enough to explore and have a beverage!

Tape a room label to any soda/water you want to bring on and give it to a porter. No beer or alcohol allowed to be carried on.

Honestly, my best advice is to not try to do everything in the Freestyle daily and instead just relax and plan each day as it happens. Have fun, kick back...and maybe buy a future cruise certificate for your next one! ;-)