Side by Side Stroller?

Frenchsnowhite

Side by side will be a problem. Is it an umbrella type or full size? Hallways are definately tight especially when the cabin stewards have their carts out. The pool decks are tight too. We found a regular stroller to be an issue in some areas.

I agree with the above posters. The doublewide stroller will be very difficult. I don't even think you could get it in or out of the cabin door without folding it and taking it to the dining room would be almost out of the question.

As a mom of two small fries that are 16 months apart, I love our double stroller, but I can think of lots of places it would be problematic on ship.

Also, don't forget that the stroller needs to be stored somewhere at night. I recall that doublewide are also bulky when folded up.

We always stored our stroller in the shower at night, so it would be out of the way.

Pls have your friend think about where she's storing her stroller at night. Or even during the day for that matter, as it can't be left in the hallway.

CeleBrat

I would definitely urge her not to bring it, she will have a hard time with it on the ship and likely regret having it. Not sure how old the kids are, but she wouldn't even be able to get off the ship with them in it at ports as the gangway is way too narrow and it would barely fit down the corridors.

I would definitely urge her not to bring it, she will have a hard time with it on the ship and likely regret having it. Not sure how old the kids are, but she wouldn't even be able to get off the ship with them in it at ports as the gangway is way too narrow and it would barely fit down the corridors.

Gangways are only a little bit wider than a regular wheelchair. Doorways are approx 21" wide.

Some will take two umbrella strollers and hook them together. There is a special hook to do this.

Look on the Family Board for more info.

Assuming that you don't also have a stroller to push or a small child to deal with, she would likely be MUCH better off going to a second hand store and grabbing two small umbrella strollers for cheap and taking two of them.

Not only will she be unable to use a double wide stroller most places and have issues with storing it, but she will likely cause major hallway congestion for anyone behind her who will be able to and may want to travel much faster than the woman with the too wide stroller and two little kids to contend with.

What will she do if she is pushing down the hall (even if it fits) and people are walking toward her? They won't all fit.

The halls aren't that skinny, though I've heard they may have to fold the stroller to get it in the cabin door.

I've seen a family with a double BOB on a cruise ship and they did just fine in halls. The issues they ran into were when elevators were crowded and they couldn't use it at the buffet.

While not ideal, it is far from impossible, especially if it's a double umbrella stroller.

OP: you may want to re-ask this question on the family board as many of the posters there have done exactly what your friend is asking. They can give good recommendations for which strollers work best or other options to consider. :)

Don't they make double strollers that are front/back instead of side by side? Would that be easier to get around? Longer but skinnier for those tight spots. :confused:

Yes. They're called tandem strollers and our grandchildren have one. We ended up not taking it on their first cruise. Instead, we purchased two sturdy umbrella strollers from Babies R Us. I believe the strollers are actually the Babies R Us brand and were about $80 or $90 each. It worked out perfect, because sometimes the parents wanted to do something different from us and wanted to keep the 10 month old with them, while we kept the toddler and went elsewhere. With the double stroller, we wouldn't have been able to do this. Something to think about.

I don't think "difficult" adequately describes the trouble she will encounter. I would describe it as "IMPOSSIBLE" or IMPASSABLE. HTH!

Ok, I'm going to disagree with everybody here just because we took a double stroller on our last cruise to Alaska and it worked out just fine. Now, it was not a full size stroller . It was a Safety 1st Double Umbrella Stroller. It can be purchased online for about $80. Folds to the same size as regular umbrella strollers.

There was plenty of clearance to go down hallways and for people to walk around you. We had no problems moving around the ship. The stroller is wide enough to fit through regular doors and we never found ourselves stuck or unable to go somewhere because the stroller was too wide. The ONLY time we had an issue was when there was an electric scooter parked in front of someone's cabin.

The stroller was truly a life saver on the Alaska itinerary. There was A LOT of walking involved and, with a 3 year old and a 15 month old in tow, it was perfect for our needs. I would've never taking a full size stroller (double or single), but this compact model was very convenient.

US095BQJ-FS.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Can you get compact side by sides in US? I live in UK and have a side by side called an out and about nipper. Not sure if it's available in US? It fits through standard doorways and is no wider than a wheel chair yet somehow it is really roomy fitting a three year old and baby in no problem. It's also a dream to push. I would consider looking at compacts on eBay etc if you don't want to spend a lot. Then you can resell when you get back.

I think the side by side would be a challenge. We did a front and back when our kids were under 3. It is a little challenging but there were no issues with the width. It takes up allot of space in the room,but it was a lifesaver.

You can also take it down the anyways with no issues.

What if the other party coming down the hallway is in a wheelchair? Not all folks are able to move to the side with ease.

What if two wheelchairs are approaching from opposite directions at the same time? :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi