Cabin Security - Locking Doors

Mysticks1

In doing a search (Google works) to find something I ran across this old thread and in light of the many recent threads on securing your doors thought it might be worth it to post the link to this one for everyone to read. I was shocked when reading it and it was something that I never would have thought to be an issue.

You should make sure your balcony doors are locked at night and when you are not in the room as well as making sure your deadbolt is locked at night.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1446792

That old thread doesn't say whether security checked the boys' cabin for all the empty mini-bottles -- but they probably threw them overboard -- maybe even while security was in the hallway.

It shouldn't have taken an hour to get Mom's name... security should have known that when they arrived, or soon after, as their reservations were surely linked.

As for the security cameras... they scan down the side of the ship, not onto individual balconies, and are there to see large objects/people falling from the ship and to observe tenders, etc. Only a few balconies are close enough to the cameras or within the right angle to see much.

Donna, thanks for the reminder. I don't remember locking our last balcony but on our cruise in a few weeks We will.

You're welcome. It is something that I had never thought about either. I would never have imagined that someone would climb over the balcony dividers to steal things by entering through the balcony doors. The thread was old but a good reminder that you should lock your "back" door as well as the main one. :)

The attitude of the parents was unreal as well.

You're welcome. It is something that I had never thought about either. I would never have imagined that someone would climb over the balcony dividers to steal things by entering through the balcony doors. The thread was old but a good reminder that you should lock your "back" door as well as the main one. :)

The attitude of the parents was unreal as well.

I always think of this when people talk about proppin their balcony door open at night.

I wonder why the person that posted that originally didn't tell security who the parents were. It said that they knew the boys belonged to the couple on the other side of them. Then all they would have had to do was check to see the names of the people in that cabin. That would have speeded up things.

just like in a hotel, there are deadbolts there for a reason. Use them. Never hurts to be cautious and pro-active in your safety. :)

our housekeepers knock on the door, announce themselves and yet a lot of times customers don't respond. hskg uses their key to go in and the guest is there. duhh, there is a deadbolt AND a chain in the room. I always use it even before I had started working at a hotel.

There's another much more recent (2/14/14) on the HAL forum here on Cruise Critic.

A cabin attendant hid on a woman's balcony. After she went to sleep he came in ... raped and attempted to murder her. :eek:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990136

You are right if she had locked that balcony door he could not have entered the cabin. Another reason to make sure that door is locked.