How do you pass the time before a cruise on HAL?

Lesinindy

I woke up this morning with a fresh coat of snow on the ground, current temp is 27 degrees and going down from there. No matter what Caribbean music I played on the way in today it was still winter and cold. I am down to less than three weeks till we sail and less than that before we leave for Ft. Lauderdale.

Lately I have found that I cannot get away from the thought of warmer weather, HAL soups (I like them) and the ocean. Daily I have visited the numerous web cams of ports and destinations. I have been on Amazon stocking up on underwater cameras and accessories. I even visited a local dive shop and picked up a new set of dive fins and also a new mask with prescription lenses in them. My packing is starting this weekend and all I want is out of here!

For those in the northern and sometimes southern climates this has been a bad winter. I have been on almost every board of interest on CC and still looking for more.

Thank God I can afford the luxury of a two week cruise this is helping me stay together. My previous supervisor at the university used to say that she could tell when I was in “Full Cruise Mode”. Well I am there again.

Les, visit the boards for the islands you are cruising to. Get all the info you can and plan out what you're going to do. Your last week will pass quickly since you'll be in countdown and packing mode.

Freezing and snowy this winter in New Jersey and we had to cancel a 3 week cruise in the Carribean. I also need warm but will have to wait till next winter. Long countdown for me.

I spend the last several weeks pre-winter-escape obsessing about the roads and weather (will the highway be closed? will we be able to get to the airport? will we have an accident on the way? will we end up stuck in a ditch overnight?) .... not exactly a joyful build up to embarkation day :D

I spend the last several weeks pre-winter-escape obsessing about the roads and weather (will the highway be closed? will we be able to get to the airport? will we have an accident on the way? will we end up stuck in a ditch overnight?) .... not exactly a joyful build up to embarkation day :D

I worry the same way if I have a Jan or Feb flight booked. It's a great time of year to get away BUT definitely stressful.

I used to have this wonderful App on my iphone that counted down the days in front of a picture of your specific ship.

When I booked my upcoming cruise I went to find the App and upon noticing that I had probably deleted it from my phone, went to the App store to try and find it again and re-download it but was not able to find it. I was sad.

Did anyone else use this app? I, of course, don't remember the name of it. I do remember that you picked your cruise line and ship and it pulled up a picture of your ship as it's background. It also tracked your on-board spending which I had fun using each day. ....again....sad....

I'm constantly counting down the days. I was just on the phone with my Husband day dreaming about our next holiday as well as when we'll next see each other ...3 weeks till he comes home for the weekend, quite a while longer till our cruise.

Him being stuck in the very wet south of england while i'm stuck in the very windy north, you'd have thought we'd have picked a trip to sunnier climes but no we've chosen the Baltics :confused:

I used to have this wonderful App on my iphone that counted down the days in front of a picture of your specific ship.

When I booked my upcoming cruise I went to find the App and upon noticing that I had probably deleted it from my phone, went to the App store to try and find it again and re-download it but was not able to find it. I was sad.

Did anyone else use this app? I, of course, don't remember the name of it. I do remember that you picked your cruise line and ship and it pulled up a picture of your ship as it's background. It also tracked your on-board spending which I had fun using each day. ....again....sad....

The one I have on my tablet and phone is called Ship Mate Holland

Before any cruise, we spend lots of time reading books about the ports we are visiting. Also read the port forums on CC.

Also start planning next year's cruise and make a list of future cruise ideas.

That warms the heart up here in Maine where the winters are always long.

We are less than two weeks away from our next "carrot"!!

I spend a lot of pre-cruise time putting together our port activities. We do a lot of "on our own" port excursions. Try reading the port reviews on Cruise Critic, and also read the TripAdvisor reviews on the port towns. I read so many reviews that I feel like I know the places before we even get there!

On the other hand, I try avoid negative cruise forum threads just before a cruise.

I would also be fussing about the flights and hotel, but this time there are no flights or hotel. We live and will be embarking in San Diego. I guess I could fuss about how to get down to the cruise port.....

igraf

I have a while to go (ok...five months from yesterday) until I leave for a couple of days in Seattle before my Alaska cruise, but I am starting to plan out my time in Seattle before the cruise! Hotel is booked. One activity is booked.

Today I decided to get the hop-on-hop-off trolley and airport transfer from HAL mainly so I can see some things I won't hit before AND so that I can pass the time before my red-eye home somewhere other than the airport and without dragging luggage everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My situation is a bit different from you all. We are going to Alaska this summer., not tropical! So to pass the time, I like to search out trip videos on youtube that are similar to our trip. I might look for videos from Oosterdam, maybe specific ports or some from Denali. Researched post cruise activities. I learned the Alaska State Fair is going on the weekend that we will be spending in Anchorage.

It's called "Cruise Ship Mate" and you can find it by searching in either the Apple or Android App stores.

I use it before every cruise to see who I'm cruising with and to check out the deck plans and my itinerary.

My Pre-cruise activities include picking out some fun NEW tops to go with slacks in the diningroom; Somehow a silky tunic makes me FEEL like the epitomy of the "Well Dressed Cruiser" AND if I can get that wonderfully comfortable top at 75% off -I'm even more thrilled.

To a lesser intent; a brand new novel I haven't read to tuck into my carry-on [ probably bought at the used book store in our town]

Another "New" book concerning either the history of our destination or the culture [ blushing] I brought a dozen books on our WWII cruise into ASia last Fall; It's always exciting to read/learn -what you are ABOUT to experience/or learn history. And don't laugh; my husband brought 17 books -many novels!

Anticipating the absolute thrill of each and every adventure insures that NO cruise will be "Just like home" but will BE appreciated as an ADVENTURE!

Anne