Luggage

allilivesay

Ok I'm confused about the checked luggage boarding the ship. Carnivals website says not to exceed the 50lb weight limit and then it says do not exceed 16"H x 24"W. Then it says there are no length restrictions. I'm so confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok I'm confused about the checked luggage boarding the ship. Carnivals website says not to exceed the 50lb weight limit and then it says do not exceed 16"H x 24"W. Then it says there are no length restrictions. I'm so confused.

Checked luggage should not be more than 50 lbs., but they do not weigh it, at least not that we've ever seen. My SO has a samsonite hard sided luggage that is 29" long, and he has never had a problem. It usually weighs less than 40 lbs.

Luggage has three dimensions. A carry on is usually 22x13x9 and a larger bag is around 26x15x10.

Both those bags are under the 24x16xhowlong is that. Limit imposed by security. The scanners can only accommodate a suitcase that is smaller than those dimensions. Length makes no difference because of the conveyor belt.

Not stupid. It's confusing.

Standard luggage is fine.

A garment bag is also fine.

Problem becomes is someone is using a box. Many boxes are cubes and and can have sides of 24x24x24. That's not going to fit. (Weddings and other group events might pack stuff in boxes.)

Recently there was a thread about canoes (kayaks) not being allowed onboard. Lol. Dimensions were probably right.

Encouraged, not required.

"Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds (22.68 Kilograms) and not exceed 16"H x 24"W (40.64 cm x 60.96 cm); there are no length restrictions."

Source: http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-545373

RdP :)

Edited by R3DP0

Can I ask another luggage question?

How many luggage per passenger? (size is approximately like a roll-on/carry-on to airplane?)

Do you 'check' this upon checking in....or do you carry/roll it yourself to your room?

They have recommendations...that's all guidelines, no laws.

Take what you want. The porters are paid to carry your bags. You tip them to handle your bags. They make hourly as well.

Now, when you carry on your bags, that's a different story. They have to fit in to the x ray machine and you have to be able to maneuver the escalators, lines etc. with carry on luggage.

We drop ours at the curb and then catch up to it on the ship with the exception of our small carry on roller bag....that has medicines, camera, important irreplaceable stuff.

I didn't pay enough attention last year but I'm going to this year on our Halloween cruise! There had to be boxes, or lots and lots of extra suitcases - there is no way people could have packed all those cool costumes and door decorations in a couple of carry-ons! :D

length doesn't matter for your carry on because it can be long and skinny. it just cannot be wide...it has to fit through the x ray machine.

when flying, that's a different story as the carry on's have to be able to fit in the overhead bins.

You can take any size of luggage you want on the cruise. There are no rules against it. Only their suggestions, and that's only recently in the last few years of cutting costs.

The porters are typically paid $1 per bag. if we all cut our baggage in half, the porters pay gets cut in half too. it's a double edge sword there lol. trust me the porters WANT you to have luggage. no luggage = no job

take what you want. enjoy your cruise. there are not limits on the size EXCEPT for your carry on...it must fit in the x ray.