Opening wine??

CruiseGirl3434

Just ask your room stewart - s/he will leave one in your room that you can keep.

This may depend on the ship and/or room steward. DW and I received a cork screw from our steward on 1 cruise, but on another cruise, the steward said we needed to get 1 from room service. We just keep 1 in our carry on now.

Edited by Georgiagolfer
spelling

Umm...the corkage fee has nothing to do with them actually uncorking the wine. If you bring your twist top to the dining room they *may* charge you. If you open it in your own room there is no fee regardless and the steward will provide you with a corkscrew, it necessary.

I find it easiest to just bring my own corkscrew. The corkage fee has nothing to do with the actual opening of the bottle. It is charged if you take your own bottle of wine into the MDR. To avoid this, just keep the bottle in your stateroom. You can carry a glass into the MDR since it would be assumed you purchased it from one of the bars on board.

Umm...the corkage fee has nothing to do with them actually uncorking the wine. If you bring your twist top to the dining room they *may* charge you. If you open it in your own room there is no fee regardless and the steward will provide you with a corkscrew, it necessary.

It always amazes me that people think it is a fee for opening the bottle. It's a service charge for allowing outside alcohol into a dining establishment. Screw top or cork, opened or not, if the bottle gets taken into the dining room, they have the right to charge a corkage fee.

I would. They will charge u to open. I actually brought twist off bottles.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

The last two cruises on Carnival (Dream and Valor) we brought our bottle of wine to the MDR and they opened it for us without paying a corkage fee. Only place we were charged was the Steakhouse ($14).

I always travel with a Swiss travel knife and one of the tools is a cork screw. I just pack it in my checked luggage. Can't get through airline security with it in the carry-on. We also bring our own glasses of wine to the MDR. You don't have to pretend they came from a bar...they won't ask you where it came from. :D

I always travel with a Swiss travel knife and one of the tools is a cork screw. I just pack it in my checked luggage. Can't get through airline security with it in the carry-on. We also bring our own glasses of wine to the MDR. You don't have to pretend they came from a bar...they won't ask you where it came from. :D

Not only will they not ask if it came from a bar, they don't care where it came from.

I've perfected the banging the wine bottle in a shoe on the wall technique for opening wine bottle with corks, even while cruising. No need at all for a cork screw.

That's new to me, I did use a dinner knife to push a cork into the bottle once when the steward didn't bring the corkscrew I requested. Now I just pack a corkscrew.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That's new to me, I did use a dinner knife to push a cork into the bottle once when the steward didn't bring the corkscrew I requested. Now I just pack a corkscrew.

A "wine snob" friend posted the shoe thing on FB...not something I'd do unless totally out of options....We have a dedicate cork screw for our cruising needs always packed.

Multiple videos. Haven't tried it yet but pretty cool.

The corkage fee on the Magic last week was pretty hit-or-miss. Out of 4 bottles carried into the MDR unopened we were only charged the corkage fee once. As a previous poster noted, if you really, really don't want to give Carnival $10 to drink your 'outside' wine in the dining room, pour it into a glass in your cabin.

The way I look at it I paid $30 ($20 for a good Cabernet at Spec's, $10 for the fee) plus the hassle of transporting it (which was no biggie to me) for a MUCH better bottle than what Carnival sells for $35.

we are bringing on our 2 bottles of wine and was wondering if we need to bring our own wine opener to avoid paying the corkage fees?? Thanks!

hi---it is wise to bring your own bottle opener---you can buy them at any liquor store---otherwise-there will be a charge--enjoy your cruise--we always do---59 cruises with carnival