How do I stop myself checking price?

Yes it is often worth prcing it up in instalments - particularly the Palma departures and the Corfu ones. Caribbean is always cheaper as a package.

Note when I say in instalments I mean you may have to slightly vary the flight home time or possibly even the outward flight but not necessarily either - you need to look at similar flight options not just the identical ones to the package.eg evening flight home not day time etc However remember you need to add your own transfer to ships and that the basic flight excludes luggage so you have to add that too.

In the past you could get it cheaper - nowadays it is much much harder.

P & O 28th November, 15 nights. Barbados ( 2days ), Grenada, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts, St.Maarten, Tortola, Curacao, Bonaire, Barbados.

Exclusive direct flight from Glasgow. May be available on this date only.

What a great itinerary and with Glasgow flights too. Must look at P&O in the future too.

Thanks for that, Nancyneptune. Which ship is it? Have you gone with P&O before?

Hi Little Nell

Was going to wait until we got back but just thought I'd let you know that we are taking the Transpennine Express from Edinburgh to Manchester Airport. However, they are creating another platform at the airport and rail works are being constructed from there to eternity which means that some journeys are being done by bus and train or all bus. Fortunately we get as far as Manchester Piccadilly and then will be transferred by bus to the airport. Might just get a taxi as we are staying overnight.

It is proving difficult to get back to Edinburgh on the Sunday by train so have opted for the bus direct from the airport to home. Travelling time is not much different and the price for Rail Cards (£30 each) as opposed to bus cards (£10 each) a helluva lot cheaper.

Wish I had known about the rail works before booking as we would have paid the extra and gone down to Gatwick, but that can be a pain as well.

Five weeks today we will be sailing. Will let you know how our travelling goes when we get back in nine weeks time:D:D.

Thanks, Skioncruises, for alerting us to these major works and thanks for the 2nd post as I had missed the first post completely :eek:

Please let us know how things go for you. I hope it isn't too inconvenient for you. Perhaps the work will have finished before we go. I wanted to go to Gatwick but DH got his way with Manchester.

What is bothering me most at the moment about it all is getting back from Manchester. We wouldn't mind driving there, we've done it before but the journey home was a nightmare after a transatlantic flight and neither of us could stay awake, so that rules driving out. I need to check out what time the first train to Edinburgh is in the morning as we arrive back at silly o'clock. I wouldn't mind killing a few hours but not several. It may be easier all round to take the bus. Lucky you, you don't need to worry about jet lag or transatlantic flights :cool:

I have saved your post to the document I am putting together for our cruise ;)

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to let me know about this.

Not long to go for you now. The excitement will be building up :D

Hi Little Nell

The works only started recently. If you have time Google: Northern Hub £600m rail work starts at Manchester Airport. It will give you all the info and is going on until 2016.:eek: If you can do it by bus, I would suggest you do. They are mucking about with all the trains and this is just the start.

Perhaps you might be able to swap to Gatwick?

If I had known I would never have booked to fly from Manchester just thought it would be easier than Gatwick which we have done previously and was nearer. As it is, even though Thomson decided to change our flight and having to stay overnight on the way home, I think we would still have had a problem. Wish we were going down by bus as well now. However, it's all sorted now and the tickets are bought.:eek:

Will keep you posted.:)

Edited by skioncruises

Hi Little Nell

The works only started recently. If you have time Google: Northern Hub £600m rail work starts at Manchester Airport. It will give you all the info and is going on until 2016.:eek: If you can do it by bus, I would suggest you do. They are mucking about with all the trains and this is just the start.

If I had known I would never have booked to fly from Manchester just thought it would be easier than Gatwick which we have done previously and was nearer. As it is, even though Thomson decided to change our flight and having to stay overnight on the way home, I think we would still have had a problem. Wish we were going down by bus as well now. However, it's all sorted now and the tickets are bought.:eek:

I don't know if they would allow us to switch, Skioncruises, without cancelling and re-booking. I will discuss it with DH and see what he says. If not, then we can look into the bus situation or even fly to Manchester.

Thanks for the further information :)

I don't know if they would allow us to switch, Skioncruises, without cancelling and re-booking. I will discuss it with DH and see what he says. If not, then we can look into the bus situation or even fly to Manchester. Thanks for the further information

Hi Little Nell

I've just looked at your countdown clock. I thought it was next year before you went, didn't realise it was August, so you do really need to get planning:eek:

I also tried to suss out flying but couldn't find any suitable flights. Don't know what days you are travelling but if it's during the week you may be luckier than I was.

Btw, what number does the big birthday start with? I've got one at the end of the year and would rather not think about it as it puts me in the same league as Methuselah.:eek::)

Hi Little Nell

I've just looked at your countdown clock. I thought it was next year before you went, didn't realise it was August, so you do really need to get planning:eek:

I also tried to suss out flying but couldn't find any suitable flights. Don't know what days you are travelling but if it's during the week you may be luckier than I was.

Btw, what number does the big birthday start with? I've got one at the end of the year and would rather not think about it as it puts me in the same league as Methuselah.:eek::)

Hi Skioncruises, the August cruise is going from Harwich, the Caribbean one is February 1st 2015, so you were right initially :) I tried to do a second countdown clock but it wouldn't let me. Think it was at the time of all the troubles on the site, so will try again.

I have looked at flights to get an idea of prices and by the time we add luggage it is about £250 return for the two of us. The luggage costs £100!! The bus is beginning to look more attractive but it takes about 8 hours :eek:

The August cruise is for my 60th birthday, which is going from Harwich, so we are driving because the journey was going to be bus and train, complicated and lengthy.

Once I look into the train and see the impact of the works, we can make a decision. The bus would be just over £100 for the two of us return.

Thanks, Skioncruises, for alerting us to these major works and thanks for the 2nd post as I had missed the first post completely :eek:

Please let us know how things go for you. I hope it isn't too inconvenient for you. Perhaps the work will have finished before we go. I wanted to go to Gatwick but DH got his way with Manchester.

What is bothering me most at the moment about it all is getting back from Manchester. We wouldn't mind driving there, we've done it before but the journey home was a nightmare after a transatlantic flight and neither of us could stay awake, so that rules driving out. I need to check out what time the first train to Edinburgh is in the morning as we arrive back at silly o'clock. I wouldn't mind killing a few hours but not several. It may be easier all round to take the bus. Lucky you, you don't need to worry about jet lag or transatlantic flights :cool:

I have saved your post to the document I am putting together for our cruise ;)

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to let me know about this.

Not long to go for you now. The excitement will be building up :D

Nell we've had these problems with transatlantics and driving home before so the last time we booked a hotel for the return flight and just went about 5 o'clock in the morning and slept until check out and then drove home. The price is about the same as parking alone.

Nell we've had these problems with transatlantics and driving home before so the last time we booked a hotel for the return flight and just went about 5 o'clock in the morning and slept until check out and then drove home. The price is about the same as parking alone.

I was thinking about that, Happy, but we will have to stay the night before we travel out so it becomes very costly to have to do it twice.

I hope someone from Thomson is reading this thread. All of this could be averted by putting on a couple of flights from Scotland :mad:

Edited by Little Nell

I'm not sure where Celebrations flights are from next year :confused: as there aren't any from Newcastle either.

I know, Happy. That would have been our next best option to a Scottish flight. Newcastle is just over a couple of hours from us. The flights are only from Birmingham, Manchester and Gatwick :(

I know, Happy. That would have been our next best option to a Scottish flight. Newcastle is just over a couple of hours from us. The flights are only from Birmingham, Manchester and Gatwick :(

Thought one of their selling points was the local airports. Is this a cut back? Won't be a welcome one.

What a great itinerary and with Glasgow flights too. Must look at P&O in the future too.

Thanks for that, Nancyneptune. Which ship is it? Have you gone with P&O before?

Been with P & O before but 1st time on Azura. Saw this deal in Sunday newspaper advert a few weeks ago. B.......Travel. Checked online today still available but price has gone up slightly. OBC and free car parking at Glasgow airport. Some good deals from Edinburgh airport as well. Looking at 14 night Venice, Kotor, Dubrovnic etc...on Ventura for later in year.

Cruised with Thomson many years ago, loved it, but two recent cruises with Thomson seen lots of changes, unfortunately, not for the better.

Will still look at Thomson and if I see an itinerary I like with Scottish flights available, I will probably book with them again if the price is right.

Thought one of their selling points was the local airports. Is this a cut back? Won't be a welcome one.

Regional flights was what attracted us to Thomson Cruises in the first place.

Thomson are making a big mistake in reducing the number of regional flights as other cruise lines are already filling the gap and once passengers cruise with other lines, they may never go back to Thomson.

P&O have added 8 regional airports to the normal Gatwick, Birmingham and Manchester for med fly cruises this year. They are for selected cruises only but show that there is more flexibility, not less.

Hi Little Nell

This is from the Network Rail site. http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/Chancellor-unveils-the-start-of-600m-rail-investment-in-the-north-of-England-1fcb.aspx It looks as though the Airport station will only be affected on 2 weekends.

To deliver improvements on this scale, there will be some short-term disruption to rail services while the work is carried out. Network Rail is working closely with many authorities and organisations across the north of England to minimise this as much as possible.

Working closely with Transport for Greater Manchester and MAG, the start and completion of the work at Manchester Airport station will take place 18 months ahead of the original plans as it will be carried out by contractors constructing the extension of the Metrolink tram system to the airport.

Construction will take place between 14 March and 7 April 2014 and will include two weekend closures of the railway at Manchester Airport on 14 and 15 March and 5 and 6 April. First TransPennine Express, Northern Rail and Arriva Train Wales services into and out of Manchester Airport station will be affected and replaced by bus services over the two weekend closures.

Passengers planning to travel by train during the work should leave more time to complete their journey and check before they travel for the latest information.

Your trains should still run to Manchester on these weekends but they will bus you to the Airport from Manchester Picadilly.

Edited by Malch_uk

This is from the Network Rail site. http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/Chancellor-unveils-the-start-of-600m-rail-investment-in-the-north-of-England-1fcb.aspx It looks as though the Airport station will only be affected on 2 weekends.

To deliver improvements on this scale, there will be some short-term disruption to rail services while the work is carried out. Network Rail is working closely with many authorities and organisations across the north of England to minimise this as much as possible.

Working closely with Transport for Greater Manchester and MAG, the start and completion of the work at Manchester Airport station will take place 18 months ahead of the original plans as it will be carried out by contractors constructing the extension of the Metrolink tram system to the airport.

Construction will take place between 14 March and 7 April 2014 and will include two weekend closures of the railway at Manchester Airport on 14 and 15 March and 5 and 6 April. First TransPennine Express, Northern Rail and Arriva Train Wales services into and out of Manchester Airport station will be affected and replaced by bus services over the two weekend closures.

Passengers planning to travel by train during the work should leave more time to complete their journey and check before they travel for the latest information.

Your trains should still run to Manchester on these weekends but they will bus you to the Airport from Manchester Picadilly.

Thanks very much for that, Malch :)

Hi malch-uk

No problem getting to Manchester. It's the return journey on 4th May that's the problem. Thanks to Thomson changing our flight times on the Saturday we are having to stay overnight and most trains to/from Scotland are being diverted to terminate/start at Windermere.:eek:

Originally there was a suitable through train from the airport to Edinburgh but the timetable has been changed and, even if the rail works were not on, there is now no straight through train to Edinburgh on the Sunday.:eek: We also have to get a connecting train from Edinburgh to home as well.

Fortunately I have managed to find a bus that goes direct from the airport to our home town with no changes. I wish I had known this before I booked the journey to Manchester as I would have saved myself the cost of rail cards at £30 each which are only going to be used one way and have therefore not proved economical. The bus cards were only £10 each and the fare was considerably cheaper.

Yes, it will be another two hours on the bus but at least when we get to our destination we will have only four miles to home. There are also plenty of stops to be able to stretch our legs and at one point have long enough to get a bite to eat. :)

Many Months ago we booked 7 nights cruise on Thomson Majesty Departing Malaga 20 March 14.

I got what I thought was a very reasonable price for the cruise including an upgrade to Outside Plus cabin deck 3 or 4 and they threw in a free AI Drinks package. We booked this as Cruise only as we live near Malaga.

I have checked the prices periodically since then and seen the prices drop considerably but there was now no free drinks package on offer. However I am still reasonably happy as when the drinks package is added the cruise now is still about the same price as we paid.

I think the moral of this story is, Book later when the price drops and don’t buy the drinks package because to be honest I really don’t think I would spend £398 in the bar on a week’s cruise.

Anyway we depart 2 weeks tomorrow and are really looking forward to our first Thomson Cruise

P&O have added 8 regional airports to the normal Gatwick, Birmingham and Manchester for med fly cruises this year. They are for selected cruises only but show that there is more flexibility, not less.

A step forward for P&O and a step back for Thomson.

I've noticed the cruises on Majesty are very cheap at the moment. Is the Majesty not a popular ship ?

Not really sure of the answer to your question, this will be our first time on A Thomson cruise. I will post a review when we get back

I've noticed the cruises on Majesty are very cheap at the moment. Is the Majesty not a popular ship ?

I'm wondering if it's due to weather in W Med at this time of year - not always great & seas can be rough; historically Thomson would sail in the Red Sea Jan-April & even that cruise used to be reduced down price-wise significantly last minute. I think Majesty was booked to do the Red Sea this winter but Thomson obviously pulled the itinerary due to unrest in Egypt some time ago - I remember people were offered alternatives on the W Med, Canaries & Carribean & a lot took the Carribbean alternative due to the good weather!

If you look at Majesty for the Adriatic itinerary, you will probably find the price is still high; that is a very popular cruise due to the ports it sails.

I am also wondering if people have held back with Majesty sailings as it is currently in dry dock. When Celebration came out of dry dock in time for Christmas, a lot of passengers complained that the staff were just not organised & it wasn't up to the usual Thomson standards. Hopefully Thomson will have learnt from that this time & get it right with Majesty!

Edited by Julessmiles