Suite upsell offer criteria?

Paula_MacFan

It's not a no brainer. We declined an upsell last year because the asking price was too steep to go from a mini to a full suite. I forget the amount but it exceeded $1000 for a seven night cruise.

Yes that is steep! I was referring to the $199 and $299 up sell offers though.

Have a look and see how many suites are still available for your cruise by doing a mock booking. That will give you an idea what the chances are of them being offered. On my next cruise the suites were all gone 13 months out. A couple opened up due to cancellations but never lasted a day before they were snapped up. On the 4 day we did last Nov on the Golden I met several people who had been offered them. That cruise however sailed half empty with just over 1350 passengers on board.

I look on the Princess website every morning:) So far there are 20+ suites still available so I'm crossing my fingers.

Hello Paula. We have received the following email for each or our last three cruises! The amounts varied by offer and length of Cruise had nothing to do with the offer. Every offer was because we had booked a mini-suite! Also, the Can/NE was the most expensive!! Go Figure!:confused:

1. *SPECIAL OFFER FOR PAST PASSENGER GUESTS BOOKED IN A MINI-SUITE CABIN(AA-AE) On Star Princess departing SEPTEMBER 09, 2012 (9229) PRINCESS CRUISES is pleased to announce a very special upgrade offer!
  2. Received one for a 14 day Hawaii Cruise.
  3. Received one for a 7 day Can/NE Cruise.

We took advantage of each because we were afraid that if we didn't, they might quit offering...HAHA :eek:However, the timing was also quite a surprise... 9 days on the 1st offer, 7 days on the second offer and 28 days on the last offer. What ever the Price or the Time, we will never turn down a chance to buy up to a suite! :D

Enjoy and Relax, particularly in a suite!:rolleyes:

Wow, that's awesome! You were so lucky to get 3 offers on 3 cruises:)

I am so hoping we get an offer since we're in a mini. And thanks for posting your offers. That verifies what my TA said about giving past passengers preference.

We Received an upsell offer on the Grand last year. We were booked in a mini-suite & I think the upsell $199pp to a full suite. We had our choice of either a VS or PS Suite and got to choose our exact suite. Of course, we accepted !!

Wow, that's awesome! You were so lucky to get 3 offers on 3 cruises:)

I am so hoping we get an offer since we're in a mini. And thanks for posting your offers. That verifies what my TA said about giving past passengers preference.

We're in a Mini on the Star, and just checked, Darn all the suites are already sold out so I guess no upsell for us. But it will be our first time in a Mini so I'm sure that even without the extra perks we'll be very happy;)

I look on the Princess website every morning:) So far there are 20+ suites still available so I'm crossing my fingers.

Paula - great idea on checking for suite availabilities... heading to Alaska in July... only one suite left :( ... but still remembering our free upgrade on our last Panama Canal cruise in October. Booked a balcony, linked it with other couple we were traveling with, and about a week before sailing we both were contacted about adjoining mini-suites. Needless, to say we jumped at the chance. :)

Not sure if it was the room, but it was the BEST cruise we have been on!!

We received an upgrade balcony to a premium balcony two weeks ago... And I noticed that there are mini's and full suite's still available with only 30 days to cruise.. Not to sound selfish but can an second upgrade to a mini happen?

A girl can dream can't she? lol

• 3 weeks later...
Paula - great idea on checking for suite availabilities... heading to Alaska in July... only one suite left :( ... but still remembering our free upgrade on our last Panama Canal cruise in October. Booked a balcony, linked it with other couple we were traveling with, and about a week before sailing we both were contacted about adjoining mini-suites. Needless, to say we jumped at the chance. :)

Not sure if it was the room, but it was the BEST cruise we have been on!!

Our upcoming cruise on Sapphire was showing sold out in all categories, but yesterday we got an upsell offer, which we gleefully accepted. I think Princess at some point shuts down sales to deal with guarantee assignments. Good luck!

Our upcoming cruise on Sapphire was showing sold out in all categories, but yesterday we got an upsell offer, which we gleefully accepted. I think Princess at some point shuts down sales to deal with guarantee assignments. Good luck!

Congrats on the offer! How long until your cruise?

If you paid for an Upsell to a full suite, call Princess back cause you should have gotten double credits. We have done this twice and received double credits but had to call to get it.

This is absolutely correct! As a result of the upgrades we are now Platinum on our way to Elite if I last that long!!! :rolleyes:

I called AND emailed and was told you DO NOT receive it on upsells. I needed one credit to make elite and it did not happen.

We are plat and have never received an upgrade/upsell offer!

On our 3/15 Ruby cruise - it was a little awkward when we were in the restaurant line with a first time cruiser in front of us and an elite (we attended the commodore's reception, she was 2nd most traveled!) behind us.... comparing notes, the first timer got a free upgrade from a mini to a full suite (she found out at the pier!) ... the elite replied "... I've never gotten a suite, in 160-something cruises - unless I paid for it".

I called AND emailed and was told you DO NOT receive it on upsells. I needed one credit to make elite and it did not happen.

Try again until you get the right Princess rep., this is a copy of my cruises and you will see the Panama and on Hawaii cruises marked 0 days but credit for the upsell cruise credits

Total Princess Credits* : 12

Total Princess Cruise Days* : 125

CRUISE LINESHIP NAMEYEAR SAILEDDESTINATIONSTATUSCREDITSDAYSPrincess CruisesSapphire Princess2014Asia/ExoticsFuture125Princess CruisesCoral Princess2013Panama CanalCompleted114Princess CruisesCoral Princess2013Panama CanalCompleted10Princess CruisesGolden Princess2012HawaiiCompleted114Princess CruisesGolden Princess2012HawaiiCompleted10Princess CruisesGrand Princess2012CaribbeanCompleted114Princess CruisesSapphire Princess2011HawaiiCompleted114Princess CruisesSapphire Princess2011MexicoCompleted110Princess CruisesGrand Princess2010CaribbeanCompleted114Princess CruisesStar Princess2009MexicoCompleted110Princess CruisesEmerald Princess2008CaribbeanCompleted110Princess CruisesCoral Princess2007Panama CanalCompleted110Princess CruisesIsland Princess2006HawaiiCompleted115

spacer.gif

I think they upgrade or offer upsells for suites to new people rather than us old timers because they know we probably won't ever pay the price for one. And even if the new cruisers don't book a suite in the near future, they are so happy with Princess, that they will book again and again.

We are elite and have never gotten an upsell offer, period. We have had free upgrades, most recently from a mini to a full suite, but we have never, ever been contacted for an upsell. Frankly, I wish we would be contacted each and every time that we haven't booked a suite. (We have our own metrics to decide when we will book a suite, vs. mini or balcony.)

Try again until you get the right Princess rep., this is a copy of my cruises and you will see the Panama and on Hawaii cruises marked 0 days but credit for the upsell cruise credits

Total Princess Credits* : 12

Total Princess Cruise Days* : 125

CRUISE LINESHIP NAMEYEAR SAILEDDESTINATIONSTATUSCREDITSDAYSPrincess CruisesSapphire Princess2014Asia/ExoticsFuture125Princess CruisesCoral Princess2013Panama CanalCompleted114Princess CruisesCoral Princess2013Panama CanalCompleted10Princess CruisesGolden Princess2012HawaiiCompleted114Princess CruisesGolden Princess2012HawaiiCompleted10Princess CruisesGrand Princess2012CaribbeanCompleted114Princess CruisesSapphire Princess2011HawaiiCompleted114Princess CruisesSapphire Princess2011MexicoCompleted110Princess CruisesGrand Princess2010CaribbeanCompleted114Princess CruisesStar Princess2009MexicoCompleted110Princess CruisesEmerald Princess2008CaribbeanCompleted110Princess CruisesCoral Princess2007Panama CanalCompleted110Princess CruisesIsland Princess2006HawaiiCompleted115

spacer.gif

I have sent another email to the captains circle with a link to this thread. Do you think there is anyone else I could contact? Any help is really appreciated. Thx.

That's our exact situation! We're booked on the Golden for Alaska, and have an Emerald deck mini suite booked. :)

Paula, are you SURE there are suites available? That would be your first stop in investigating the chances of getting an upsell. If there are only a couple, chances are they'll sell out and you won't even get the chance for an upsell.

IME, the upsells I've had have been for clients that are Elite with Princess and the higher Mariner tiers with HAL. But, I don't think that there's necessarily an order of the offer depending on your status from what I've seen on CC.

I have sent another email to the captains circle with a link to this thread. Do you think there is anyone else I could contact? Any help is really appreciated. Thx.

I had read on these boards that I was entitled to the double cruise credit, for the Upsell, so I called and they transferred me to customer service and it was taken care of immediately.

Paula, are you SURE there are suites available? That would be your first stop in investigating the chances of getting an upsell. If there are only a couple, chances are they'll sell out and you won't even get the chance for an upsell.

As of today at 63 days out, on Princess' website it shows 15 full balcony suites available and 4 window suites. There are 32 mini's on Dolphin and 5 mini's on Emerald.

I usually look every day and the suites have remained about the same level of unsold for the past few months. I have noticed for sailings later in the year, most of the suites are sold out.

I am keeping my fingers crossed! I will be happy with our mini, but would sure take a full suite upsell in a heartbeat:)

I think they upgrade or offer upsells for suites to new people rather than us old timers because they know we probably won't ever pay the price for one. And even if the new cruisers don't book a suite in the near future, they are so happy with Princess, that they will book again and again.

The email that I received for our cruise on Thursday said:

PRINCESS CRUISES ANNOUNCES A SPECIAL OFFER FOR CAPTAIN CIRCLE MEMBERS BOOKED IN A MINI-SUITE STATEROOM ON THE MARCH 27,2014 SAPPHIRE PRINCESS SAILING.

The cruise was showing waitlisted in all categories, and we had a guarantee. But everybody is a Captain's Circle member as soon as they book their first cruise, even if they don't take it - Princess will assign the number right away. They were just trying to free up minisuites for the guarantees, I think.

Don't I wish....NEVER offered...but would take it if offered in a NY minute!!! Here is your chance Princess...booked for our 3rd cruise with you in 5 months on 19 April Caribbean Princess....offer and watch me take it up in a HEARTBEAT!!!! :)

Several times I have seen others post emails with the same wording as the one posted by critterchick. "Special offer for past passengers in mini-suites."

I get the impression that it is offered to all past passengers without regard to when one booked, how much one paid, or what one's loyalty status is. I think it depends on how quickly one can respond.

If that is true, then I guess someone could book a really cheap flash rate and then end up in a suite for a few dollars more. Hasn't happened to me. Anyone else?

I've sailed 6 times with Princess and my travel friend has sailed 7 times. All were in minisuites or full suites, but neither of us have ever been upgraded or offered an upsell. :(

Not sure how so many of you have gotten upgrades/upsells, but I don't hold out much hope that it'll ever happen to us.