Off Menu items

flyingaggie02

Two years ago on the Ruby we sat next to a table making lots of "off menu" requests. Some were simple, like Caesar salad with ranch dressing. However, some were basically one of the dinners describing recipes to our waiter and having food prepared that was nowhere close to the menu items available. After 3 nights of 2+ hour dinners because our waiter was constantly caring for the special orders table, we had to move to anytime dining. I know we all want the most out of our vacation but in a mass dining situation, sometimes your special requests take away from others vacation experience. If you absolutely have to have something that is not on the menu, then at a minimum please make arrangements the day before so you can minimize the impact on others siting in your section.

We like escargot on French Night. One cruise, they did not have it on the menu. I told the head waiter I was disappointed because we always look forward to it. She said she would try to find some for the next night, and lo and behold it was brought out to us the next night. If they have it on the ship, and you ask for it in advance, they are pretty good about getting it to you.

We always try and order the escargot 24 hours in advance through the head waiter.

Try to get it a few times while onboard.

Two years ago on the Ruby we sat next to a table making lots of "off menu" requests. Some were simple, like Caesar salad with ranch dressing. However, some were basically one of the dinners describing recipes to our waiter and having food prepared that was nowhere close to the menu items available. After 3 nights of 2+ hour dinners because our waiter was constantly caring for the special orders table, we had to move to anytime dining. I know we all want the most out of our vacation but in a mass dining situation, sometimes your special requests take away from others vacation experience. If you absolutely have to have something that is not on the menu, then at a minimum please make arrangements the day before so you can minimize the impact on others siting in your section.

High maintenance. :rolleyes:

One item that is always available but not on the menu every night is the sugar free ice cream you can't pick the flavor but they have it available every night which is a nice thing for us diabetics

Sugar free ice cream is on the menu each evening in the dining rooms.

One side note-I would encourage anyone making a special order to be kind if they can't accommodate it. They are preparing thousands of dinners and it may be that the ingredient you want is in the back of a storage unit many decks below. They simply don't have anyone extra available to go get it and prepare it to order. That may have been what happened to the salad. If ordered 24 hours before, they could obtain the ingredient before beginning the meal prep.

I agree! I think being demanding is very rude and inconsiderate. The workers are not there to cater to my every whim. That's just my opinion.