tender port/private excursion question

avalong

Marina arrives in the tender port at 8:00 a.m. Our private excursion guide has told us to be sure to be on the 9:00 a.m tender in order to make a 10:00 a.m. excursion. I seem to recall reading somewhere on this forum that tendering on Marina can be a hot mess. Do you experienced O cruisers think this excursion is do-able? This is our first O cruise so we have no feel for this. Thanks in advance for your input!

It does not usually take too long to tender IF people follow the instructions

Go to the lounge with your whole group in tow (if possible) get the ticket for independent travellers

They will call the ship's tours first but sometimes if space is available on the tender they will start calling the independent people

Be ready to go when the ticket is called ...you should not go look for your group or to your cabin

The tenders on the O class ship will take 100 per trip & they do count people as they board

I would head to the lounge at 8:30 if you want to be off by 9am

they try to get people ashore as quickly & safely as they can

Lyn

It does not usually take too long to tender IF people follow the instructions

Go to the lounge with your whole group in tow (if possible) get the ticket for independent travellers

They will call the ship's tours first but sometimes if space is available on the tender they will start calling the independent people

Be ready to go when the ticket is called ...you should not go look for your group or to your cabin

The tenders on the O class ship will take 100 per trip & they do count people as they board

I would head to the lounge at 8:30 if you want to be off by 9am

they try to get people ashore as quickly & safely as they can

Lyn

Thanks so much. This is exactly the information I needed.

Lyn's advice is excellent but I will just give you our experience when tendering at Sorrento in October '11.

I had asked Destinations when we should show up if we wanted to be on shore at 9am, and they said 8am. But that was wrong.

We should have been there somewhat earlier, maybe 7:45. We had to wait perhaps an hour for our tender to be called. So we were late meeting our guide, although he of course waited for us.

We did NOT show up as a group which was our mistake. And believing the Destinations personnel was possibly also a mistake.

It also depends on the port, I think.

Just a word of warning. Marina/Riviera being much larger than the "R" ships means that it takes more time.

Mura

Always err on the side of being earlier than you think you need to be.

Lyn's advice is excellent but I will just give you our experience when tendering at Sorrento in October '11.

I had asked Destinations when we should show up if we wanted to be on shore at 9am, and they said 8am. But that was wrong.

We should have been there somewhat earlier, maybe 7:45. We had to wait perhaps an hour for our tender to be called. So we were late meeting our guide, although he of course waited for us.

We did NOT show up as a group which was our mistake. And believing the Destinations personnel was possibly also a mistake.

It also depends on the port, I think.

Just a word of warning. Marina/Riviera being much larger than the "R" ships means that it takes more time.

Mura

Always err on the side of being earlier than you think you need to be.

Thanks! Note to self: must get up at dawn's crack..... :-)

Marina arrives in the tender port at 8:00 a.m. Our private excursion guide has told us to be sure to be on the 9:00 a.m tender in order to make a 10:00 a.m. excursion. I seem to recall reading somewhere on this forum that tendering on Marina can be a hot mess. Do you experienced O cruisers think this excursion is do-able? This is our first O cruise so we have no feel for this. Thanks in advance for your input!

Just got back from Marina and found no problems with the tenders. In Bora Bora we went to the lounge and told them we had a private excursion and they gave us tickets for the next tender. I guess it depends on who is giving out the tender tickets. Good luck :):)

On a recent Nautica cruise they tendered independent travelers first, pehaps it depends on their tour schedule for the day

It does make a difference

If the 1st tender is ready at 8 am but the ship's tour is not until 8:30am they will let independents go when they show up until the tender is full

they would give ME tickets for the 8 people in my group for a private excursion, would they?

sure they will just make sure everyone is ready to go when the colour is called

They have to be in the lounge when you get the tickets

Edited by LHT28

was hoping to get them in case they WEREN't there yet!

You can try but better hope they are ready to go when the ticket is called

they know how many tickets to give out for the amount of places on the tender ..;)

Lyn

I'm so anal, I'll be in the lounge an hour early!

Will send this thread to my participants, am especially concerned in Santorini...we are there with a ship of 4000, and need to get the cable car up to meet our guide STAT!

LOL

I would tell them to be in the lounge as soon as it opens :D

You can relax then

I loved Santorini :( wish I was going

Lyn