Sport Fishing in Cabo

StarryBugg

"Tried and True"...is a tough one.

We've fished Cabo twice a year for the last five years, and have only come back "skunked" once....I guess that is why they call it "fishing" and not "catching".

Giving one advice about their "favorite" outfitters is tough. A lot depends upon how long you want to fish, what you want to fish for, and how much you want to spend.

One bit of advice that I will offer is never, never, never, book a fishing trip from someone standing on the dock. (You would probably be surprised to find just how many folks do, and then find themselves alone at the dock, holding their...um...poles.) Always book with a reputable brick and mortar outfit, and there really are a lot of them in Cabo. Most all are qualified, competent, and will offer you a great fishing trip.

You might go to the Cabo forum at TA, where there is a link there describing what the good options might be.

Thanks for the quick response! I'm not concerned about being guaranteed catching something -- I'm a GA girl and know all about spending days out in the sun and never even getting a bite :D Although, to catch out in the ocean is a thrill.... so that would be nice!

Also, thanks for the advice about not booking on the pier... Although that's not my style (I like to research and book ahead of time), it's great and sound advice!! :eek: Could be a bit of a hairy situation...

I'll hit the TA forums, as well!

Fishing is a little slow down here right now. Some striped marlin at Golden Gate but that is a long haul where it is best to start out at 6:30am. No tuna or dorado action to speak of. Hopefully by the time you're down here it will get better. Maybe you can find some inshore sierra action.

Thanks, Laminator!

Check back a few days before you leave on your cruise. I will check with my captain to see what's going on. Maybe the tuna will be active closer to shore so you don't need to go out 20 to 30 miles. When I went out last week we ran into one large school of porpoise but there were no tuna under them. That has been the story the last few weeks.

The winds changed and the water turned green and that was pretty much the end of any decent fishing unless you wanted to go quite far out. I didn't feel like taking the pounding.

I came home last weekend but maybe it has pocked up since I left. You're still 3 weeks out so it can change a half dozen times between now and then.

You can see my fishing luck on the video below. We had what may have been the $13,500 winning tuna in the tournament. I'll never know as if you watch the video closely you'll see Pancho, Cabo's famous sea lion, lurking in the background. He came up and snatched the tuna right out of the dock workers arms. I don't think that poor kid is right to this day.

Edited by Laminator