Advice from parents, please, re: kids on Jewel

melodyesch

Hello. My DH and I have been in several cruises but have no children. This summer, we are taking our neice (who will be 9 1/2 at the time). So we have a couple of questions.

1. Do kids that age carry their own sign and sail cards? I didn't know if I should get her a lanyard.

2. I know we will sign her in and out of the kids club, but if she wanted to quickly run back to the cabin for something, would you let her go unaccompanied? I certainly wouldn't let her roam the ship but don't know how far to go with a little independence. Not being a parent I am sure I will be more clingy, I'm sure, but just looking for what others might do.

Any other suggestions or advice for a kid of that age would be welcome.

Thanks,

Melody

Forgot to add: going to Alaska in July on the Jewel

Edited by melodyesch
Add info

Hi. Yes she will be given her own card. All passengers, regardless of age, get a card (my nephew had one when he was one year old).

While my son was older (a teen) on his first cruise, I don't think I would let a 9.5 year old go anywhere alone on the ship.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by mizlorinj

I live in a town with a population of 1063. I know many but not a very high percentage. A ship is described as a small city. I consider it a pretty big city. There is no way I will let my 9 year old out of my site. I am not sure yet if my 16 year old gets much non supervised time. Not to scare you but imagine walking those long stretches with rooms on both sides. How easy to grab a child and how long to find them?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My DD and DS will be 3yo and 10mths, respectively, for our May Breakaway cruise. While their ages don't quite match the OP...re: the amount of "independence"

independence = kid's club

all other times = dictatorship (a very loving one...:D).

Enjoy the Jewel! She is a beautiful ship! And Alaska is a lovely itinerary!

Edited by ZoneHPH

My daughter is 10 and we are going on our third cruise this summer - there is no way I would ever let her go anywhere alone. Not even my teens for that matter, call me overprotective but unless it is a supervised teen activity it would be like letting them wander around town alone. And I didn't spend all of this money for them to play ditch the parents! The whole point is to spend time together.

I wouldn't let my 9 year old roam too.

One thing I wanted to mention is that because your niece isn't with her parents, there are parental forms you need to have when boarding. http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ParentGuardianForm_01302012b.pdf

Have a great time!

Excellent reminder...probably even more so to keep an eye on OP's neice.

In. 2010 my step daughter was 9 and my stepson was 12... They had minimal freedom... Like leaving the table to go get icecream while we were seated in the buffet was ok... That was the extent of it for the 9 yr old, my step son was allowed to go up to the buffet on his own from our cabin a few times, straight there and back... On our upcoming trip they will be allowed to go to specific places or events on their own ( not aimless roaming) as long as they are together... She'll be turning 13 on board and he just turned 16 and they're both good, level headed kids when they aren't bickering We'll see how it goes if they make any friends, though I don't expect many kids aboard as it's a longer cruise during school sessions. They don't have the expectation that they'll be given complete freedom, and they won't, but will get a reasonable amount... As teens... At 9, there's really no reason

I do not think anybody mentioned that even though all passengers are issued a sail and sign card you can allow or disallow a minor the ability to charge with their card to the room account. Very important to remember, unless you specify at check in time that yo do not want the child to be able to charge to the room account, they will have that ability. If you do not want the child(ren) to have the ability to charge be sure to request it during your check in at the terminal. If you forget, I think the onboard guest services desk could also make the change as well.

Thanks for all of the responses. When you don't have children it's hard to know. Of course, I guess it's hard to know when you DO have children, as I know I've seen very young kids unaccompanied. But I tend to err on the side of caution since she's not mine.

And thanks for the info about the paperwork. My SIL has it in her possession to fill out and have notorized.

I'm very excited. I think we'll have a great time!

My daughter loves to carry her card in her "pocketbook" (A cute small flat bag with long spaghetti strap she wears cross body). The pocketbook does not go with her to the kids club. She only has the card to show she is on the soda package and she loves to open the cabin door.

She started cruising at age 4 and she is now 10. I have never let her roam the ship alone, or with a newly made friend. As far as shes been unsupervised is climbing the stairs (outdoors) to the water slide 2 - 3 decks above.

Ive seen plenty of kids roaming around the ship unsupervised. They are in the pool areas, buffet, sports court, game room etc... I would never let my daughter do that alone.

Some say Im over protective. Not so fast! I wouldn't let my daughter do that stuff. I did let my boys, together, go to the game room or buffet alone. I trusted them, they were smart enough to know who to talk to and who to stay away from (drunks). They were together at all times. I feel its a little easier with boys (and they were a little older than 10, more like 12/13/14 etc). My point is you really have to know the child and know 100% if they are responsible and know how to react during any situation that could occur.

If the girl is not your child, I would suggest being over protective, especially if there is not another sibling she can be with. Safety in numbers! If you really don't know what she would do in situations, then best be by her side or know where she is at all times. I know my own daughter is very trusting and thinks everyone is so nice! For that reason alone, she doesn't get a card key at the kids club and she does not get to sign herself out. It hasn't bothered her either. There is just as many kids who can sign out alone as there is who can't.

:)Enjoy your cruise

Edited by DISNEY1975

We are taking my 9 and 7 year olds on the Jewel next week. And there.aint.no.way either one of them will go anywhere without a parent. Kids club is their only time away from us.

Like one of the pp said, those long hallways and all those cabins. Shudder at the thought.

Hello. My DH and I have been in several cruises but have no children. This summer, we are taking our neice (who will be 9 1/2 at the time). So we have a couple of questions.

1. Do kids that age carry their own sign and sail cards? I didn't know if I should get her a lanyard.

2. I know we will sign her in and out of the kids club, but if she wanted to quickly run back to the cabin for something, would you let her go unaccompanied? I certainly wouldn't let her roam the ship but don't know how far to go with a little independence. Not being a parent I am sure I will be more clingy, I'm sure, but just looking for what others might do.

Any other suggestions or advice for a kid of that age would be welcome.

Thanks,

Melody

Forgot to add: going to Alaska in July on the Jewel

Yes, everyone has their own sign and sail card ... and no, at 9 I would not allow her to wander by herself.

I live in a town with a population of 1063. I know many but not a very high percentage. A ship is described as a small city. I consider it a pretty big city. There is no way I will let my 9 year old out of my site. I am not sure yet if my 16 year old gets much non supervised time. Not to scare you but imagine walking those long stretches with rooms on both sides. How easy to grab a child and how long to find them?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Exactly correct. I wish more people would think like you!

Yes Every One has their Sign and Sail Card due to security issues. When you complete online checkin be sure to switch your kid's card to Cash Only and then you can decide how much cash to load onto the card.

Or you can decide to have no signing privileges.